British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

48 minutes ago, tocha said:

Not unlike those committee meetings in the Vicar of Dibley I would imagine:

A bit more raucus but yes you're on the right path

3 minutes ago, tmc said:

The results of SMI's 1991 survey reflected the mood but the BSPA has done little or nothing to address these old problems.

Mail 4_lo.jpg

Go on Tony get this years set up on Survey Monkey and we'll give it a go, same questions so that any comparison is like for like

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tocha said:

Not unlike those committee meetings in the Vicar of Dibley I would imagine:

No.  No, no, no, no.  No.  Yes.

I think its time History started to take speech lessons, then it wouldn't need to keep repeating itself!

I know this isn't a laughing matter, but in all seriousness how bad does it have to get before the BSPA actually say "now hang on guys, we need to start waking up and smelling the coffee here"?

24 minutes ago, marko said:

I think its time History started to take speech lessons, then it wouldn't need to keep repeating itself!

I know this isn't a laughing matter, but in all seriousness how bad does it have to get before the BSPA actually say "now hang on guys, we need to start waking up and smelling the coffee here"?

I have started to believe that it has become a case of look after number one and collectively the promoters will never agree for the good of the sport.

Each club must have a threshold where you say my business cannot continue on this basis, it is not financially viable but rather than all work together to help each other and take the appropriate action to cut costs, it seems that for those clubs who are in difficulty it is tough luck, your problem, not the BSPA. Either that or they have collectively all gone so far down hill that none of them know what to do any longer to save the sport. These are suppose to be businessmen yet some of the decisions are pure madness.

The lack of transparency is worrying and way they treat the punters, their number one asset is beyond belief. I don’t think they will wake up until it is too late let alone get a chance to smell the coffee.

As an example why not loosen up on the rules of running a track, cut the owners some slack and allow tracks to have open licences to run speedway in whatever format suits them as a regional business. They are in effect a franchise and need to sell Tom the local market. What you do in Newcastle might not appeal to punter s at Lakeside .

For example Rye House might then be able to rebuild some confidence and win back supporters with some open meetings and a mixed event including other two wheeled sports. Don’t stop riders taking part because it does not suit your current business model. RH was never ever going to be a successful weekday venue. Since 1974 when Rayleigh moved in and before that it has been a weekend venue. History tells you that so why force a club to race mid week.

No doubt other tracks are on the brink and is it not time that the promoters turned to the supporters for help rather than shun them.

• Like 3

In 1977, though it was blamed on some iffy weather, Belle Vue's crowds were 2,000 down at one point on the year before. 

This weeks S Star hits the nails on the head in the opening few pages - well done, let's hope it inspires results......

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

In 1977, though it was blamed on some iffy weather, Belle Vue's crowds were 2,000 down at one point on the year before. 

And you had the World Champion riding each week!

Jon Cook was on the mic about it last night. He was obviously constrained in what he could say as he was talking about being fined by the BSPA if he said too much but talking about Lakeside , Peterborough and Worky having their race nights taken away , the gist of what he said was that certain clubs have to accept they cant win everything and  they'll soon  finish up racing against themselves. 

Its interesting that the clubs under attack, Lakeside, Peterborough and Workington are they main play off contenders at the moment.  Draw your own conclusions.Of course the BSPA could clear up any speculation immediately  by issuing a statement but we still have deafening silence from the Chapman/.Godfrey Mafia. So much for Chapmans empty promises of being open with the fans. They cannot see that it is them that is bringing the sport into disrepute and driving the fans away.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

we still have deafening silence from the Chapman/.Godfrey Mafia.

Like all dictators, they believe that what they are doing ( and how they do it ) is the Right Way and the Only Way. They are unlikely to step aside and therefore need to be toppled in some way, Perhaps only the death of UK league speedway will achieve that. Like other failed promoters in the past, they will show no remorse for their actions or how they refused to listen. 

Does anyone have a full rundown all the Premiership and Championship clubs promoters and how long they've been at the club's?

I think once these new promotions get a vote we may see a changing of the guard.

27 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Like all dictators, they believe that what they are doing ( and how they do it ) is the Right Way and the Only Way. They are unlikely to step aside and therefore need to be toppled in some way, Perhaps only the death of UK league speedway will achieve that. Like other failed promoters in the past, they will show no remorse for their actions or how they refused to listen. 

i agree with what you say but listen to what?

we have several paths which people on here advocate: pare it back to amateur/semi pro, push the boat out for the stars and hope for the best, amalgamate the leagues, etc , etc

so which group do they listen to? and whichever path they choose people will kick off and feel alienated

personally i want one league at just below current Div 2 level racing on their choice of night and an amateur NL and i can hear people scoffing from here so you can't win.

I also want NIL guests while you're at it- I'd rather see teams get slaughtered than guests 

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Jon Cook was on the mic about it last night. He was obviously constrained in what he could say as he was talking about being fined by the BSPA if he said too much but talking about Lakeside , Peterborough and Worky having their race nights taken away , the gist of what he said was that certain clubs have to accept they cant win everything and  they'll soon  finish up racing against themselves. 

Its interesting that the clubs under attack, Lakeside, Peterborough and Workington are they main play off contenders at the moment.  Draw your own conclusions.Of course the BSPA could clear up any speculation immediately  by issuing a statement but we still have deafening silence from the Chapman/.Godfrey Mafia. So much for Chapmans empty promises of being open with the fans. They cannot see that it is them that is bringing the sport into disrepute and driving the fans away.

When he says "taken away" I wonder if he means fully and permanently, or having to move a few matches from Fridays this season? Obviously he isn't free to elaborate any further.

I'd suspect that he's alluding to 2019 and the implementation of a changed league structure. This could include Belle Vue moving to Fridays and trying to ensure that night is limited to BV and Scunthorpe (Godfrey), Edinburgh (Harkess), and Glasgow (£acenna's) plus possibly Somerset. We will see what happens because for sure nothing is going to be announced.

A promoter of told me last week that it was a very long meeting that got absolutely nowhere in terms of the future of Speedway in GB.

He said there are two factions .. the old guard and the new guard ... they have opposing ideas of what direction to go