British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

28 minutes ago, ch958 said:

i agree with what you say but listen to what?

we have several paths which people on here advocate: pare it back to amateur/semi pro, push the boat out for the stars and hope for the best, amalgamate the leagues, etc , etc

so which group do they listen to? and whichever path they choose people will kick off and feel alienated

personally i want one league at just below current Div 2 level racing on their choice of night and an amateur NL and i can hear people scoffing from here so you can't win.

I also want NIL guests while you're at it- I'd rather see teams get slaughtered than guests 

They have not listened to anyone, as far as I know, or asked any fans or groups of fans about preferences. The BSPA should be going ahead with a survey of the type recently posted ( which was first done 20 years ago ). They neither welcome nor acknowledge feedback from their customers. Such businesses usually end up by closing down. I agree with your choice myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's be honest, there are probably not more than 25,000 speedway supporters regularly attending UK league matches. It cannot be so difficult, using modern digital technology to get their opinion. AND also take written replies by post. I would volunteer to collate such replies and could rustle up one or two others to help as well. 

i'm afraid a response from me would read as a rather pathetic reach for the past. I want silver 2 valve bikes back with big handlebars! 

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Let's be honest, there are probably not more than 25,000 speedway supporters regularly attending UK league matches. It cannot be so difficult, using modern digital technology to get their opinion. AND also take written replies by post. I would volunteer to collate such replies and could rustle up one or two others to help as well. 

DOUBT whether there are half that ...

2 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

A promoter of told me last week that it was a very long meeting that got absolutely nowhere in terms of the future of Speedway in GB.

He said there are two factions .. the old guard and the new guard ... they have opposing ideas of what direction to go

In that case there is a chance of hope.

Norfolk Inn chance.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DOUBT whether there are half that ...

I hope that you are not so well informed on this as you are on other things!? Less than 25,000 If it's much less than that then it's "game over" without a doubt.

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Jon Cook was on the mic about it last night. He was obviously constrained in what he could say as he was talking about being fined by the BSPA if he said too much but talking about Lakeside , Peterborough and Worky having their race nights taken away , the gist of what he said was that certain clubs have to accept they cant win everything and  they'll soon  finish up racing against themselves. 

Its interesting that the clubs under attack, Lakeside, Peterborough and Workington are they main play off contenders at the moment.  Draw your own conclusions.Of course the BSPA could clear up any speculation immediately  by issuing a statement but we still have deafening silence from the Chapman/.Godfrey Mafia. So much for Chapmans empty promises of being open with the fans. They cannot see that it is them that is bringing the sport into disrepute and driving the fans away.

If Workington and Newcastle are to be believed then Scunthorpe have been refusing to re-arrange fixtures in the absence of Steve Worrall how co-operative is that?

I hope that you are not so well informed on this as you are on other things!? Less than 25,000 If it's much less than that then it's "game over" without a doubt.

Take suffolk for example I have no idea of the average gates at Ipswich and Mildenhall. I no longer go but have 5 friends who still go to ipswich most weeks but they also go to Mildenhall every week without fail.

I would think there are 20,000 absolute max who attend Speedway 'regularly' each week..

I would also suggest that next week in Cardiff there could well be more fans there who no longer attend domestic British Speedway regularly than those who actually do. (Or not far off it)..

Maybe that is something that the BSPA could ponder and reflect on as to why.?

44 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I would think there are 20,000 absolute max who attend Speedway 'regularly' each week..

I would also suggest that next week in Cardiff there could well be more fans there who no longer attend domestic British Speedway regularly than those who actually do. (Or not far off it)..

Maybe that is something that the BSPA could ponder and reflect on as to why.?

well that would be a good place to hand out half price entry vouchers at their nearest track

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ch958 said:

well that would be a good place to hand out half price entry vouchers at their nearest track

Honestly,  don't go there. .

For many Promoters they would be scared stiff of giving a 'regular' a half price ticket than seeing any potential of bringing back so many 'ex fans' of theirs...

Believe me, I have had those coversations...

You are 100% correct by the way.

It's a captured market at Cardiff which provides (if nothing else) a huge chance to engage in conversations with the largest gathering anywhere of British Speedway fans..

Maybe ascertaining 'from the horses mouths' as to why so many will spend hundreds of pounds and travel hundreds of miles, for several hours, attending that very event, but not see attending their local track as a 'must do'...

Got to be worth it surely? Direct feedback from your own customer and ex customer base?

And for what it's worth (very little I am sure)..

Here is my feedback. .

It costs £29 for me and my 15 year old lad to sit and watch a British League match at the NSS.  And never quite know up till start time which random collection of riders have rocked up that night..

It costs me just £9 more to do the same at Cardiff with everyone programmed turning up unless injured during practice in the hours before..

With a much better overall collective of riders on view too...

And on a SATURDAY not a MONDAY as well..

So in short, get the Price Point right, get the credibilty right, and do it all on a night conducive to attracting a crowd..

Who knows, do that and you may be more successful..?

Edited by mikebv

Aside from Busters infamous Kings Lynn meeting, the only changes to line ups at the NSS this year have been due to injury. 

5 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

They have not listened to anyone, as far as I know, or asked any fans or groups of fans about preferences. The BSPA should be going ahead with a survey of the type recently posted ( which was first done 20 years ago ). They neither welcome nor acknowledge feedback from their customers. Such businesses usually end up by closing down. I agree with your choice myself.

You only have to read the arguments, self interest, and sometimes downright crazy ideas on here to realise the fans are the last people that should be listened to. Neither do the vast majority of businesses consult their customers on their product and services as quite clearly the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

If you go back a few years you had fans complaining about speedway being watered down, when quite simply the top riders were becoming unaffordable and in many cases unavailable. Now there's a bit more realism about the situation, yet still lots of complaints about missing riders which is why something was done to try to address that, yet fans have essentially voted with their feet as a result. 

The underlying problem is that speedway has become poor value for money, played out in largely unappealing venues lacking 21st century facilities, and where you're not even sure who's going to be riding. You're also facing an increasingly ageing fanbase who's kids have already grown-up and aren't the least bit interested in the sport, let along willing to bring their own kids along - all the marketing in the world isn't a substitute for existing fans introducing new people to the sport. 

At the end of the day, professional speedway will only survive if the promoters themselves are able to come-up and implement a workable plan, and that is a big if. 

• Like 1

So which clubs want/ need weekend racing, Glasgow, Edinburgh , Berwick, Workington , Newcastle , Scunthorpe , Peterborough, in the Championship

Belle vue, Rye House ,maybe Leicester  and Somerset all the others in the Premier seem to just get by during the week I think.

Do not know about the third division.

So it must come down to when the fans want racing and how frequently , will weekly or fortnightly home meetings be adequate .

Will one big League work, or will it be two Leagues with one or two from the Championship moving up though this would only be viable if costs were reduced significantly either rider costs/pay or less bigger name riders which would mean no more Doyle, Andersson , Iversen for instance.

Not an easy task for anyone/group but some difficult decisions need to be made and this may come at the expense of losing some clubs unfortunately .