British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

The current plight of British speedway reminds me so much of the situation of traditional High Street shops. They had it good for decades, opening when they wanted, and charging what they wanted, totally ignoring the challenges creeping up behind them. When they finally realised that they were in trouble, the opportunity to put in the fix had passed:rolleyes:

There's no rescuing the High Street now, there might, just might, be one last chance to rescue speedway if radical action is taken now, before the shutters come down permanently:sad:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, M.D said:

Exactly, a business may turn over billions or a few hundred a week, the principle is the same, listen, learn what your client wants and keep them happy for repeat business.

But what if the client base wants a myriad of different and at times conflicting things?

We all want entertaining and affordable speedway, but the variety of views I’ve read on here or heard in person would make it difficult to please everyone.

1 minute ago, RobHowe said:

But what if the client base wants a myriad of different and at times conflicting things?

We all want entertaining and affordable speedway, but the variety of views I’ve read on here or heard in person would make it difficult to please everyone.

I guess you do what the majority want, at least that way you give yourself a fighting chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

The current plight of British speedway reminds me so much of the situation of traditional High Street shops. They had it good for decades, opening when they wanted, and charging what they wanted, totally ignoring the challenges creeping up behind them. When they finally realised that they were in trouble, the opportunity to put in the fix had passed:rolleyes:

There's no rescuing the High Street now, there might, just might, be one last chance to rescue speedway if radical action is taken now, before the shutters come down permanently:sad:

I said the same thing when travelling to a meeting on the IOW a couple of weeks ago. If you don't move with the times, you get left behind.

2 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Then in my opinion all views should be considered and work with the most popular view point whilst working with what you feel yourself is the right way to move forward..

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

I would think there are 20,000 absolute max who attend Speedway 'regularly' each week..

I would also suggest that next week in Cardiff there could well be more fans there who no longer attend domestic British Speedway regularly than those who actually do. (Or not far off it)..

Maybe that is something that the BSPA could ponder and reflect on as to why.?

Without a doubt. For a lot of fans it's their only meeting of the year.

38 minutes ago, New Science said:

The worry for me is I don't need to fill in a speedway survey. I would just write at the top in big letters ,' The racing is not good enough " and I'm not sure how the promoters fix that ?

The tracks are too small and the bikes are too fast. Has anyone got a magic wand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wolfsbane said:

I guess you do what the majority want, at least that way you give yourself a fighting chance.

More important than even that, you communicate with your client base, which is what the BSPA are not doing at all.  We have three clubs with the Sword of Damocles hanging over their future. The BSPA were supposed to be discussing this last Tuesday, and now nearly a week later, not a word from the Secret Society.  At the moment the Lakeside website is showing the next meeting as 27th  August because of this fiasco in which the BSPA have removed all their Friday fixtures which  the same BSPA agreed at the start of the season .  The fans have been told nothing and the promoter has apparently been threatened with fines if he says anything. Presumably Peterborough and Workington are in pretty much the same boat.  Theres not even anything from the BSPA to acknowledge whats happened, let alone try to offer any kind of explanation. 

5 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The tracks are too small and the bikes are too fast. Has anyone got a magic wand.

Unfortunately not

Maybe there hasn't been any word from the BSPA because there isn't  any solution they can think of to this dilemma.

Therefore there isn't any word because they don't have anything to say.

20 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

well one of those is fixable for sure and small tracks are fine if they're wide enough.

16 minutes ago, M.D said:

Then in my opinion all views should be considered and work with the most popular view point whilst working with what you feel yourself is the right way to move forward..

I kind of agree with that but there’s a chance that in canvassing opinions when some are inevitably discarded that you end up alienating those that put forward the opinions that were passed over.

Granted you’ll never please everyone.

But I think ultimately that the clubs need to get their collective heads together and agree for the sake of the sport and it’s long term survival what does and what doesn’t work. They need to develop and agree a long term business plan that will mean the survival of the majority, if not all, of the clubs long term.

As.much as fans believe they know the ins and outs of running a speedway team I imagine that the vast majority do not in reality. So taking business advice from those that don’t know isn’t necessarily going to be a sound move IMO.

If the clubs and their owners can put forward a product that ensures the long term survival of the sport in this country then I’m sure most fans will happily buy into that.

• Like 1

besides at some of the bigger tracks the racing is quite boring at times and some at the smaller is very good

• Like 1

Fix items for me include.....

Racing. 

We have tracks actively favouring gate and go or at least turning a blind eye to it. This can and should be put right and a track commissioner should watch meetings and assess what needs to be done. We have a track playing about with its shape half heartedly, one with no outside line, one with continued surface issues and one that may have changed now, where the material used wasn’t good for speedway even though it suited other sports. All fixable. I’ve left out club names so we don’t descend into name calling again but if you feel insulted then you’ve obviously identified your track which speaks volumes. 

Cheating/rule bending/ unsportsmanlike behaviour. 

Quite simply this removes the sporting contest element and pretty much renders meetings as glorified challenges. Easy fix. 

Speed of meetings/presentation. 

I think meetings are run efficiently now save for falls or injuries but I can live with that. 

Rider interviews, comprehensive communication, decent sound system, viewing and comfort as good as clubs can manage, entertainment (Chase), decent affordable food & drink. I’d like to see characters back with some friendly needle between fans and riders. I’m not bothered if it’s a bit staged as long as it keeps kids (of all ages) entertained. All doable. 

More stable teams. 

Riders the fans can identify and mix with year on year, at least a core of three or four. 

Consistent fixtures. 

If it’s every two weeks then so be it but three blank weeks then six meetings in a month at the end is a no no. 

I’d have liked to have seen a better attempt at fixture planning and still would, rather than jumping in with FRN. 

I think it should be compulsory for all clubs to run a junior team, even if only MDL standard with meetings following every main event. If both teams are using R/R then a junior must be used in that place. 

Just on that, if three riders are missing from one team or four from both combined then the meeting is postponed as would be the case for a rain off. Postponements arranged in 24hrs and must take place within the following four to six weeks. 

• Like 1