British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

55 minutes ago, New Science said:

Unfortunately not

KELVIN Tatum has an idea that we will be producing in SS shortly. Fundamentally, reduce the costs for riders and they require less from the promoters. Most British tracks haven't changed in decades but the equipment they are using certainly has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The tracks are too small and the bikes are too fast. Has anyone got a magic wand.

Tracks are not too small, gustrow proved that today and bikes are not really any faster than they were 30 years ago, the back wheel speed has increased but the bike speed is pretty much the same but you don’t need a magic wand what you need is someone to get control of the machinery and stop the free for all which has gone on for years but it won’t happen cause the tail wags the dog and while it does the sport is cooked 

• Like 2

Any suggestion that involves payment being made to "an independent body" a marketing expert or market research company is a non starter. There's no money to pay them.

This week's speedway star had a suggestion that an expert in sports marketing and pr who has held some of the most senior positions in sport and is a speedway fan should be asked "to join the quartet tasked with recommending where the sport goes in the future"

I wonder if he were so minded that the BSPA would be offering a consultancy fee commensurate with his ability and experience? 

3 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Any suggestion that involves payment being made to "an independent body" a marketing expert or market research company is a non starter. There's no money to pay them.

This week's speedway star had a suggestion that an expert in sports marketing and pr who has held some of the most senior positions in sport and is a speedway fan should be asked "to join the quartet tasked with recommending where the sport goes in the future"

I wonder if he were so minded that the BSPA would be offering a consultancy fee commensurate with his ability and experience? 

Perhaps it would be done pro bono

37 minutes ago, noaksey said:

No money to pay for professional marketeers....

Yet literally MILLIONS paid out collectively EVERY season to riders across the sport in Britain...

Riders whose names resonate with hardly anyone on their very doorstep locally let alone nationally..

Riders whose names, whether there or not, bring hardly anyone extra to the meeting..

Pay BIG money to a proper marketing company to try and make these guys household names...

Then pay them the BIG money when (if) it works...

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Tracks are not too small, gustrow proved that today and bikes are not really any faster than they were 30 years ago, the back wheel speed has increased but the bike speed is pretty much the same but you don’t need a magic wand what you need is someone to get control of the machinery and stop the free for all which has gone on for years but it won’t happen cause the tail wags the dog and while it does the sport is cooked 

It should be about making the sport the best it can be which means more tracks in this country like Belle Vue so, sorry Dean, the tracks are generally too small. 
Add to that that they are also too narrow, usually the wrong shape and poorly prepared and you have a fundamental problem.

Modern day bikes do not respond well around tight narrow circuits with patchy surfaces.

And before anybody says, yes I know I'm disagreeing with an ex-rider but anyone who says the tracks are not a major part of the problem in this country needs to analyse the sport instead of just watching it and I'll continue to bang the drum about crap tracks at any and every opportunity.

45 minutes ago, mikebv said:

No money to pay for professional marketeers....

Yet literally MILLIONS paid out collectively EVERY season to riders across the sport in Britain...

Riders whose names resonate with hardly anyone on their very doorstep locally let alone nationally..

Riders whose names, whether there or not, bring hardly anyone extra to the meeting..

Pay BIG money to a proper marketing company to try and make these guys household names...

Then pay them the BIG money when (if) it works...

They've just blown hundreds of thousands on the Gerhardt project

6 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Modern day bikes do not respond well around tight narrow circuits with patchy surfaces.

They don't respond well to big wide tracks with patchy surfaces either.  Big or small, riders need a smooth consistent surface in order to perform well. Unfortunately British weather is not always conducive to that. The quality of the shale at certain tracks doesn't help much either.

• Like 1

The point is you are far less likely to be locking the bike up on a bigger track and that's when it can take off from under you.  On a wider track you also have more time to react before being in the fence.  I agree that almost all tracks need work on the surface though.

4 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

The point is you are far less likely to be locking the bike up on a bigger track and that's when it can take off from under you.  On a wider track you also have more time to react before being in the fence.  I agree that almost all tracks need work on the surface though.

Throttle works both ways but on a slick track the slightest grip or driving out of a hole is enough to chuck em up. With lower revving engines they would alter the gearing to stay in control and feather the throttle to find grip but sitting on the lifting handle on the stop balls out really leaves the riders at the whims of the track surface and curator.

which is exactly why i tell people that nowadays Rye House had to be slick, no room for anything else

OK, I can see sense in that.  So why did they evolve to be so high revving in the first place?

If someone turned up with a lower revving machine they would still collect points if only by virtue of the fact they stay in control for more of the race.

Edited by Stoke Potter
spelling

3 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

I guess you do what the majority want, at least that way you give yourself a fighting chance.

Well, no. Surely you’ve got to balance what the customer wants with what’s financially viable?

Customers want:

(a) the best riders, no doubling up or guests, better stadiums, preferred race nights, better presentation

and

(b) cheap prices.

It’s obvious to everyone that you can’t have (a) with (b), so the BSPA needs to come up with a costed compromise and get the support of the fans for it. Be inclusive, open and honest.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RobHowe said:

But what if the client base wants a myriad of different and at times conflicting things?

It’s actually somewhat pointless asking what existing speedway goers want, as they’re largely going to come anyway. There’s probably not even much point asking former fans - even if you can identify them - because they’ve long since lost interest and walked away for whatever reason.

You need to be identifying new audiences to target, to whom speedway might appeal, and work out what will bring them through the door.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It’s actually somewhat pointless asking what existing speedway goers want, as they’re largely going to come away. There’s probably not even much point asking former fans - even if you can identify them - because they’ve long since lost interest and walked away for whatever reason.

You need to be identifying new audiences to target, to whom speedway might appeal, and work out what will bring them through the door.

No point in targeting new audiences, or even trying to hold on to your existing ones if you don't first of all give them a speedway meeting to attend. As has been said before, what those dullards Chapman and Godfrey have done is to unliterally wipe three clubs fixtures from the already sparse  fixture list , which cannot fail to hit the attendances of the clubs concerned even further. They then compound that display of mismanagement by telling the fans absolutely nothing, not even the briefest of announcements and  merrily carrying on as if nothing has happened, and hope the fans wont notice.

The more I think about this utter, crass stupidity, the lack of communication, and the abject short sightedness of those at the helm, the angrier I get. They are worse than useless.

• Like 6