British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

22 minutes ago, acef said:

Which is completely out of order. I'm sure the whole forum knows who we are talking about and he has a BIG voice on the committee. 

Its exactly this type of scenario that needs to stop. 

Quite literally, 3 clubs could potentially fold just to protect his own business 

I'm also almost certain of the fact that Scunthorpe have avoided the league's top two teams in the Shield semis is nothing to do with Godfrey.

10 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I'm also almost certain of the fact that Scunthorpe have avoided the league's top two teams in the Shield semis is nothing to do with Godfrey.

You would be correct - and don’t forget that on a +/- basis Workington are actually the top team!

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

You would be correct - and don’t forget that on a +/- basis Workington are actually the top team!

I can't be the only one who doesn't really understand that.  When I look at the Championship table, it shows:

1 Peterborough 13 7 0 1 1 1 1 2 0 607 563 32
2 Lakeside 11 6 0 0 1 1 0 0 3 549 437 25
3 Glasgow 10 6 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 467.5 431.5 19
4 Berwick 12 6 0 1 0 0 0 1 4 537 541 19
5 Workington 9 2 0 0 1 2 0 1 3 408.5 399.5 17

So how Workington are actually top is beyond me.

1 minute ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I can't be the only one who doesn't really understand that.  When I look at the Championship table, it shows:

1 Peterborough 13 7 0 1 1 1 1 2 0 607 563 32
2 Lakeside 11 6 0 0 1 1 0 0 3 549 437 25
3 Glasgow 10 6 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 467.5 431.5 19
4 Berwick 12 6 0 1 0 0 0 1 4 537 541 19
5 Workington 9 2 0 0 1 2 0 1 3 408.5 399.5 17

So how Workington are actually top is beyond me.

+/- measures away match points won less home match points lost and is a measure of form when the number of matches raced is unequal.

• Like 1

Out of those three teams I would have said Scunny would have preferred Peterborough - we always go well around there.  So any conspiracy theory regarding the draw is daft.

9 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

+/- measures away match points won less home match points lost and is a measure of form when the number of matches raced is unequal.

Thanks for the explanation.

I really don't see the point myself, or why it's not shown alongside the actual old-school table but why not take it further - by taking into account what teams have been raced against and how good they are, factor in the line-ups and track conditions as well so that a real analysis of form can be made............ 

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Out of those three teams I would have said Scunny would have preferred Peterborough - we always go well around there.  So any conspiracy theory regarding the draw is daft.

Really?  You'd rather take on a team that have beaten you home and away this season than a team who you mullered at home 54-36????

Just now, SPEEDY69 said:

Really?  You'd rather take on a team that have beaten you home and away this season than a team who you mullered at home 54-36????

Apart from Stevie Worrall, we had the full team out against Workington.  Scunny normally strong around Peterborough - not always the case at Workington.  Plus Workington are the team in form at the moment. 

1 hour ago, GWC said:

Peter Collins made the comment some years ago that since moving to lay down engines the majority of UK tracks are not wide enough to provide fast and safe racing.

Its the width/entrance to the corners that causes the issue. It's not the size. Scunthorpe is one of the best tracks in the UK and one of the smallest. 

The lay down has caused an issue but that is purely evolution of the bikes. It works everywhere else. 

You can't change the bikes to suit the tracks in one country alone. It would have to be done across the board. Given the product is absolutely fine on the continent where the sport is at its strongest, I find it delusional that some people want to start pissing around with the bikes themselves. 

The implications of that if we did it in the UK would kill the sport here. It would be curtains. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Across the BSPA some people are heard more than others. That is bullrubbish. It needs to stop. It's this individual, selfish mentality that has created such instability throughout the committee. 

Theses people don't think of the sport. They think about where there own investment is and that is where it ends. I actually get it to a degree, but we are at the stage now where everyone needs to come together or they will have no assets to protect. 

• Like 1

so whats the difference between lay down engines and uprights ? please dont post the obvious .

46 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Apart from Stevie Worrall, we had the full team out against Workington.  Scunny normally strong around Peterborough - not always the case at Workington.  Plus Workington are the team in form at the moment. 

How far are you going back  for 'normally' - they lost home and away in 2017 as well.  Perhaps it wasn't Godfrey's choice, perhaps it wasn't the reduced travelling costs either, perhaps it was a plain old draw - but given the record of the BSPA and previous 'draws' e.g. British semi finals it's easy to see why conspiracies are thought of.  I still can't get over the Rye debacle and promoters circling like vultures around their riders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acef said:

The sport has developed. The sport has moved forward. The equipment is better than its ever been. 

The bikes are not the issue. The tracks are. If it works on the continent then it's the tracks that must change. The sport of speedway can't be different in one country alone. Its has to be uniform and unfortunately GB doesn't fit the in the jigsaw with the current state of the circuits. 

Developed into what ? Bikes that don’t work in the wet or on anything other than a billiard table of a track, if tracks need to be like BV then why are the crowds so low ? Even the poles are looking into  engines, tracks have worked before with different engines, and people who think big tracks are the answer are wrong, 2 big tracks in poland are Gdańsk and gorzow, both get big crowds both have poor racing . I don’t think people are grasping how close other teams are to going the same way as rye house and it’s nothing to do with the size of the tracks or the engines being ridden, but unless costs are addressed the riders are going to be well out of pocket 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, jenga said:

so whats the difference between lay down engines and uprights ? please dont post the obvious .

The laydown revs a lot more although by now even on uprights  they would of got the revs up but the biggest difference is the chassis they are in, uprights are a fair bit more ridged, the problem isn’t the laydown engine, it’s the type of laydown engine, the early longstoke laydown we’re probably the best engine the sport has ever had