British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Of course we may be missing something ourselves and that the reason why no news has been forthcoming is that there is nothing to report..

Because everything is fine...!

I feel that that is the case. The BSPA will go on with their pointless changes within UK speedway until there are 2-300 fans at tracks ( or less ) and it is kept going by sponsors who also dream they are "running a major sport" when in fact merely a handful of the general public have an interest in it. Truly the emperor's new clothes syndrome at it's best.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I feel that that is the case. The BSPA will go on with their pointless changes within UK speedway until there are 2-300 fans at tracks ( or less ) and it is kept going by sponsors who also dream they are "running a major sport" when in fact merely a handful of the general public have an interest in it. Truly the emperor's new clothes syndrome at it's best.

And has been for many, many years..

All in charge of tiny, tiny fiefdoms...

Many acting with ignorance (or design) in 'splendid isolation', to keep their level of (in their own eyes only) importance at the required level...

Who knows?..

Maybe Green Helmet covers are coming back and that will be the sports saviour? 

(But they don't want to officially announce it yet as they have set up a 'think tank' to decide  on what particular shade of Green will be allowed)...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

As a fan of some years, it wasn't always about how good the racing was or if my team won. There are so many things about speedway you can like. For example, I personally noticed less interest when the Golden Double was introduced compared to the old tac sub, which allowed more team switches from heat four onwards, as long as the arrears was sufficient. Tthe Golden Double killed it and, once used, the match points mainly always ended up with the other side. Tac subs kept matches alive and interesting to fans on the terraces. In addition to the green helmet (ah ah), I'd go back to the future and re-introduce this. It's not all about the racing but the chance of being a terrace team manager and trying to fathom who'd be brought in as the tac for the next race.  

Edited by moxey63

10 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The cost cutting with engines has nothing to do with general cost cutting, faster and faster more expensive engines serves no benifit to speedway, yes we would be going out on a limb but poland also believe that something should be done about engines but they are not sure what, as hard as it would be to implement a standard engine of some sort which effectively eliminates the external cost of engines would be a great step forward for speedway with no downside to the quality of the sport world wide and we should be  seeking to make this happen, talking to a top rider last year he was saying half his engine bills and you could half his earnings as his take home pay would still be the same 

The going out on a limb bit really bothers me. I'll never agree to that. 

If something can be implemented by the FIM or BSI that would be applied across the sport then I'd be all for it. 

12 minutes ago, acef said:

The going out on a limb bit really bothers me. I'll never agree to that. 

If something can be implemented by the FIM or BSI that would be applied across the sport then I'd be all for it. 

What ever way we take we are going out on a limb and is going to be painful, so we need to step back regroup and try to make the sport great again, GB set up will keep those riders good enough to compete on the world stage up to that standard but the bread and butter speedway in Britain has got to step away from the speedway we know, nobody really wants to do  it but what is the alternative ?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

What ever way we take we are going out on a limb and is going to be painful, so we need to step back regroup and try to make the sport great again, GB set up will keep those riders good enough to compete on the world stage up to that standard but the bread and butter speedway in Britain has got to step away from the speedway we know, nobody really wants to do  it but what is the alternative ?

To stop the decline we must take some radical steps. If it means spooning the cream from the top and relying on mainly bread and butter riders for our dish, then it's got to be done. Possibly by allowing riders to ride for other foreign teams has brought us to where we are. We need a fixture list free from any other distractions - Grand Prix and other leagues. We need a league big enough to give what riders decide to accept the new rules enough meetings to make a decent addition to outside employment. British speedway should not be looked upon as providing any rider with a living income. It is not Formula One. It needs to act now to reintroduce a fan's attraction to follow a team of riders who they can grow to rely on and those men can concentrate fully on fulfilling what that fan hands over his cash at the turnstiles for. The lure of following a team of seven riders - the same seven riders - is, as a fan, what makes you wanna leave the house on matchday for. 

35 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

To stop the decline we must take some radical steps. If it means spooning the cream from the top and relying on mainly bread and butter riders for our dish, then it's got to be done. Possibly by allowing riders to ride for other foreign teams has brought us to where we are. We need a fixture list free from any other distractions - Grand Prix and other leagues. We need a league big enough to give what riders decide to accept the new rules enough meetings to make a decent addition to outside employment. British speedway should not be looked upon as providing any rider with a living income. It is not Formula One. It needs to act now to reintroduce a fan's attraction to follow a team of riders who they can grow to rely on and those men can concentrate fully on fulfilling what that fan hands over his cash at the turnstiles for. The lure of following a team of seven riders - the same seven riders - is, as a fan, what makes you wanna leave the house on matchday for. 

You can still get paid a 'lot of money' per night riding Speedway in GB..

I am sure alluding to my previous post re £900 a night twice a week you would get plenty of riders from around GB wanting to take you up on the deal..  And that is for 'Mr Average/semi pro/middle order man' don't forget..

Both teams paid in full on the night by balance transfer (Internet banking is available!). 

No cash in the account to pay, then no running the meeting...

Start with five man teams then build up the number if income allows..

If you can get foreign riders over then great (but it must be viable)..

Run 25 home and away meetings minimum so 'Mr Average/semi pro/middle order man' gets himself circa £45k.. Pro rata per annum £90k for six months work... Not bad money that...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

The average wage in Britain is £524 per week, I would suggest therefore that £1800 a week not a bad return at all?

Does the average worker also have to buy and maintain expensive equipment, and are they likely to get injured or dropped after one match with no compensation? 

It's trying compare and apples and pears, but the reality is that no matter how much riders may or may not deserve the wages they get, it comes back to the fact that sport can only afford to pay what it generates in revenue. 

I still say there should be a payment cap with every rider in the league paid the same inc bonus points.

Premiership - £100pp - £12 admission - No Concessions - Kids Free

Championship - £50pp - £9 admission - No Concessions - Kids Free

National League - £20pp - £7 admission - No Concessions - Kids Free

The better talented rider's would still rise to the top and leave it to the rider's how they spend their money on equipment. Common sense may then prevail that they can profit just as well being a 2nd string on average equipment than the guy spending thousands at No1. That way eventually the costs on equipment slowly comes down to earn more money, even the No1's will soon realise. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Does the average worker also have to buy and maintain expensive equipment, and are they likely to get injured or dropped after one match with no compensation? 

It's trying compare and apples and pears, but the reality is that no matter how much riders may or may not deserve the wages they get, it comes back to the fact that sport can only afford to pay what it generates in revenue. 

The main point being is that the sport can only pay out what it can afford what it generates in revenue,many clubs are paying out more than they can afford and it has come to a head.They simply can't keep raising Admission and hope the fans keep paying up,which what they seem to think is the answer.!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Daytripper said:

Yes back to the subject. The BSPA have now pulled the plug on the   Lakeside -v- Peterborough fixture on 27th July. This fixture has now  been submitted, approved , withdrawn, re-instated and  withdrawn again. This would have been a profitable fixture for Lakeside , partly because it is the start of the school holidays, and partly because Peterborough is near enough to attract more visiting fans than most other clubs. Interestingly, it so happens that Scunthorpe are racing the same day.

Still no comment from the BSPA.

There was a BSPA meeting due to be held today. It remains to be seen whether the fans are given more   information after todays conflab, or whether we will once again be referred to the nearest brick wall for a full statement.

Pity, I was going to this meeting with my daughter.  Never mind me or the other fans though.

3 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Pity, I was going to this meeting with my daughter.  Never mind me or the other fans though.

I was going too...had been really looking forward to seeing this big clash.

13 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I was going too...had been really looking forward to seeing this big clash.

Imagine spending money on advertising and gaining sponsorship for this match? Then having the rug pulled from under you for no apparent reason that either team is responsible for?

We fans often criticise promotions for not promoting, but truly, what would be the point of doing so when, on a whim, fixtures can simply 'dissappear'?

We are now entering the last chance saloon for this once great sport. Lakeside v Peterborough will be my fith meeting in the South East to be called off for non weather reasons, within the space of a few weeks. An unbelievable state of affairs when we are enjoying our best summer since 1976. The powers that be, should hang their heads in shame, but they probably don't care.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The alternative imo is to address the tracks. I'd argue it would be cheaper than redeveloping the equipment. Tidy up the stadiums, relay the tracks that are problematic and then choose a race night that suits the clubs supporter base. That is the foundation to build from, we then have a better product to sell. 

Glasgow are a great example of how changing a track can get results. They have a great promotion. I'd imagine that track now is an absolute dream to ride. Nice wide entrance to the corners with some good banking. 

The sport needs investment from somewhere. Most clubs are on the brink of bankruptcy so if someone with a dollar can step and chair the association to help fix these stadia/tracks, we can start to move forwards again. 

Edited by acef