British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

1 minute ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Before a new fan or even an ex fan gets to see the track or it’s racing we need to get them to the turnstiles, as I said priority’s 

If only you could show them how good the product can be by getting it on the tele!

Ah yes, it is on the tele but the product's still crap................

5 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

If only you could show them how good the product can be by getting it on the tele!

But you said all tracks should be like belle vue  and when that was on the tv the racing was great and yet belle vue is on its arse , wolves crowds are bigger than belle vue yet BV has better racing 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

24 minutes ago, acef said:

Unfortunately they don't come back and that's because the entertainment value is non existent. 

That has been the case for me less and less and less entertainment and overall VFM. What has kept me going to King's Lynn for the past five years has been to watch Robert Lambert. Seeing him develop from a 15 year old to 20 year old has been a wonderful racing experience. Much of the rest of it has been, for me, a sideshow.kind of support event. Cheers, Robert! Good luck at Cardiff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

But you said all tracks should be like belle vue  and when that was on the tv the racing was great and yet belle vue is on its arse , wolves crowds are bigger than belle vue yet BV has better racing 

They’re not. 

5 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

BV is a diamond in a mound of crap. 
One track cannot reverse the decades of damage in this country, that's why you need more of them. 
When you get a  critical mass of decent tracks with real speedway then you can market the real product.

And BV on their proper race night would get crowds as good as Wolves or better.

I never said tracks were the only problem, they are just the major problem.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Wolves have been operating on a Monday for years. 

Belle Vue realised their market place and that was a Friday night. It got changed because we didn't have a vote. 

Result. Crowds off a cliff. 

The NSS is a diamond. It needs pushing to the hilt but unfortunately the wrong people have the power. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

BV is a diamond in a mound of crap. 
One track cannot reverse the decades of damage in this country, that's why you need more of them. 
When you get a  critical mass of decent tracks with real speedway then you can market the real product.

And BV on their proper race night would get crowds as good as Wolves or better.

I never said tracks were the only problem, they are just the major problem.

Brilliant post. 

30 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

That has been the case for me less and less and less entertainment and overall VFM. What has kept me going to King's Lynn for the past five years has been to watch Robert Lambert. Seeing him develop from a 15 year old to 20 year old has been a wonderful racing experience. Much of the rest of it has been, for me, a sideshow.kind of support event. Cheers, Robert! Good luck at Cardiff.

I have a lot of time for Rob. 

He's fast becoming a class, international rider who has stepped up significantly this season. 

A real diamond with a natural ability in a sea of British rubbishe. 

38 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

And of course all that tv money went into their own sky rocket rather than an investment into the circuits and the sport. When sky came on board many promotions thought we had the jackpot, actually it was the same product as now and the exposure only exasperated the decline. Its a great example of the old school folk who operate this sport. They have no vision. They only see what's right in front of them. They are spit and sawdust people who think opening the doors to a pub and standing and drinking at the end of the bar is enough to make their business work. 

They are outdated and completely out of ideas. 

The Sky money should've been invested in the tracks or infrastructure without doubt. 
Or, shock horror, kept in a central investment fund which then could be used to purchase tracks when they become available. 

Fancy buying Brandon Mr BSPA?  Yes, don't mind if I do.  Pie in the sky, of course!

3 hours ago, acef said:

The alternative imo is to address the tracks. I'd argue it would be cheaper than redeveloping the equipment. Tidy up the stadiums, relay the tracks that are problematic and then choose a race night that suits the clubs supporter base. That is the foundation to build from, we then have a better product to sell. 

Glasgow are a great example of how changing a track can get results. They have a great promotion. I'd imagine that track now is an absolute dream to ride. Nice wide entrance to the corners with some good banking. 

The sport needs investment from somewhere. Most clubs are on the brink of bankruptcy so if someone with a dollar can step and chair the association to help fix these stadia/tracks, we can start to move forwards again. 

I don't think the tracks are the problem.  People need to be attracted to the sport in the first place - and I don't mean the odd friend or two of an existing fan.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I don't think the tracks are the problem.  People need to be attracted to the sport in the first place - and I don't mean the odd friend or two of an existing fan.

The sport alone will never sell itself in the UK. Its image is boring. That is the general consensus. 

On the continent the product can also be boring, but the climate is entirely different out there so it still works. 

We have a major issue with the image here. 

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Does the average worker also have to buy and maintain expensive equipment, and are they likely to get injured or dropped after one match with no compensation? 

It's trying compare and apples and pears, but the reality is that no matter how much riders may or may not deserve the wages they get, it comes back to the fact that sport can only afford to pay what it generates in revenue. 

The average worker, who is self employed, has a decision to make whether purchasing the equipment to do their jobs will deliver profit to them. Speedway riders should be no different..

The levels of danger for any job unfortunately don't usually equate to an expected salary otherwise the armed forces and the fire brigade would get £300k a week and footballers would earn £500 a week..

Simply the sport pays out ludicrous amounts in relation to it's fan base levels..

Basketball and Ice Hockey in GB have crowds that some Speedway teams would be more than pleased to get but won't be paying out thousands a night to individuals...

The Sport is fast approaching it's nadir and reality will need to kick in, if it hasn't already..

Riders spending £10k to £20k or so on kit to compete will simply have to stop doing it..

I am sure riders like Dean Felton, Jon Armstrong and Tony Atkin for example could show lads how to maintain competitive equipment without breaking their bank accounts or requesting thousands off their promoters to pay for new gear all the time..

I remember PC ( as well as other top riders) often winning races when having to use a team mates bike when they had mechanical issues, PC even used reserves bikes sometimes..

Amazingly the reserves bikes suddenly were 'rocket ships' in the hands of the very best..

As we often see, it really isn't the thousands spent on the bike that makes the difference but the rider riding it..

As costs escalate and riders try to out do each other by spending more (and therefore requesting more), it really will be a race to the bottom which no one will get any satisfaction winning...

Reality needs to kick in, and very, very quickly..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, acef said:

At BV you get about 60% of the racing being edge of the seat stuff. 

The club had decent crowds last year, up on the stadiums debut season I belive.

This year serious decline and that's because of the race night. 

Good racing puts bums on seats because the crowd are being entertained. 

I didn't say that it didn't. I just said that it wasn't the major factor IMO, and as you help to point out because despite the racing being as good as it was it's not enough to draw the punters in. Personally I'd go any night to BV (Tuesday and Sunday apart), it's the sort of stuff I'd want to watch regularly.

Edited by Crump99

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Imagine spending money on advertising and gaining sponsorship for this match? Then having the rug pulled from under you for no apparent reason that either team is responsible for?

We fans often criticise promotions for not promoting, but truly, what would be the point of doing so when, on a whim, fixtures can simply 'dissappear'?

Totally agree. As an Eagles' supporter, here was a chance to see some 'old boys' - not far away. Had arranged work to give me plenty of time to battle M 25.

Will  I do it for the re-staging?

Maybe, obviously will not if it is run in opposition to an Eastbourne meeting.

Here was a match I -- and others  – wanted to see (Adam E for the home team as well). The rug has been pulled from beneath us.

So the BSPA  leaves me unhappy, annoyed (insert stronger language to taste).

Even if the res-staging fits my agenda, I am tempted to boycott but then only Lakeside would suffer, which would be unfair.

One day, the BSPA will find every fan has boycotted a particular meeting.

What else can we do to make our point to those who control the sport?

• Like 2