British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

3 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Totally agree. As an Eagles' supporter, here was a chance to see some 'old boys' - not far away. Had arranged work to give me plenty of time to battle M 25.

Will  I do it for the re-staging?

Maybe, obviously will not if it is run in opposition to an Eastbourne meeting.

Here was a match I -- and others  – wanted to see (Adam E for the home team as well). The rug has been pulled from beneath us.

So the BSPA  leaves me unhappy, annoyed (insert stronger language to taste).

Even if the res-staging fits my agenda, I am tempted to boycott but then only Lakeside would suffer, which would be unfair.

One day, the BSPA will find every fan has boycotted a particular meeting.

What else can we do to make our point to those who control the sport?

I doubt that a crowd of zero would convince them that they've got a problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I didn't say that it didn't. I just said that it wasn't the major factor IMO, and as you help to point out because despite the racing being as good as it was it's not enough to draw the punters in. Personally I'd go any night to BV (Tuesday and Sunday apart), it's the sort of stuff I'd want to watch regularly.

I'd also go any night. 

The reason the crowds are down is purely due to the race night. 

23 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I doubt that a crowd of zero would convince them that they've got a problem.

Sadly, you are probably right

27 minutes ago, acef said:

I'd also go any night. 

The reason the crowds are down is purely due to the race night. 

One Million Per Cent.

I have been once this year due to Monday racing..

I know of three others who have been possibly to one more meeting than me due to Monday racing...

And we are nowhere near alone...

Literally hundreds are not attending due to losing Friday and Saturday..

Not a major issue if you average 10,000 I would say...

It is however when you are dropping from 1500 or so to below 1000...

A very major issue...

And the longer it goes on, the longer the disconnect...

And the easier it is therefore to not bother at all in the future..

Like so many thousands and thousands have found over the past 20 years of so...

Edited by mikebv

4 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Here is 2 examples of my fan experience at a speedway meeting  Monday night I went to wolves vSwindon , no passing not even close racing, scoreline never in doubt so not a close meeting . Crowd was average but silent, no atmosphere,feels like no hero’s for fans to cheer, stadium pretty good  and at £18 I felt ripped off, not in a rush to go back there even though it’s ny local track, last season I went to Gdańsk  v Torun , the meeting had no passing and scoreline wasn’t close and never in doubt, pretty dull meeting ,crowd was massive and the atmosphere was amazing,the stadium is Wooden benches on concrete steps, the home fans went nuts for their hero’s and at £4 to get in it felt like a bargain and we had a blast and can’t wait to go over again ,speedway is all about the fan experience

From my experience of watching speedway in Poland, its very different from the UK. Speedway in Poland is very tribal, more akin to football in this country. The 2 biggest cities in Poland have very little speedway interest but I have seen a riot at a Leszno/ Zielona Gora fixture about 7 years ago, 2 small towns in Poland. I went to the playoff final at Leszno 3 years ago and counted a fleet of 14 riot vans in attendance, very dissimilar to the family friendly atmosphere you get in the UK. That is not going to change .

Edited by New Science
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

One Million Per Cent.

I have been once this year due to Monday racing..

I know of three others who have been possibly to one more meeting than me due to Monday racing...

And we are nowhere near alone...

Literally hundreds are not attending due to losing Friday and Saturday..

Not a major issue if you average 10,000 I would say...

It is however when you are dropping from 1500 or so to below 1000...

A very major issue...

And the longer it goes on, the longer the disconnect...

And the easier it is therefore to not bother at all in the future..

Like so many thousands and thousands have found over the past 20 years of so...

Would you be prepared to accept teams filled with guests / Rider Rep due to riders doubling up in 2 leagues /SGP /World u21 /GP qualification/ Polish fixtures / European Championship/ Euro Pairs etc etc to get back to Friday speedway at Belle Vue

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I don't think the tracks are the problem.  People need to be attracted to the sport in the first place - and I don't mean the odd friend or two of an existing fan.

How do you attract these people?  The product is, for the most part, utterly dire!

One sentence answer each from yourself, Grand Central, Fromafar and The Dean Machine.  As they liked the post and seemed to think this was somehow inspired thinking...

Bare in mind, that every marketing initiative attempted over at least the last 10 (probably 20) years has utterly failed to improved crowds over any sustained period.

This will be a laugh...

32 minutes ago, New Science said:

Would you be prepared to accept teams filled with guests / Rider Rep due to riders doubling up in 2 leagues /SGP /World u21 /GP qualification/ Polish fixtures / European Championship/ Euro Pairs etc etc to get back to Friday speedway at Belle Vue

Can’t see doubling up next year.

SGP - There’s only 2 riders currently.

World u21 - Not much of a crossover there.

GP qualification - Same

European Championship - Same

Euro Pairs - Same

Polish fixtures - Sunday.

Fitting twenty odd fixtures into 30 odd weeks should be done without the need for clashes.

1 minute ago, ouch said:

GP qualification - Same

Euro Pairs - Same

Fitting twenty odd fixtures into 30 odd weeks should be done without the need for clashes.

Just for instance Belle Vue's own  Dan Bewley. Doubling up, yes if available ,World u21 yes, GP qualifiers yes, European Championship maybe, Polish fixtures, if Rybnik get promoted then any Friday, Saturday , Sunday of their choice. If doubling up goes, ie 1 League are you happy to see the TV deal go  ?

I don’t think we should jerpodize the clubs future for one rider even if the fixture planner is so inept that they cannot plan correctly. 

We need a top league for a TV deal. Are you saying the NL will stop next year?

1 hour ago, ouch said:

GP qualification - Same

Euro Pairs - Same

IN SS this week both Craig Cook and Chris Harris confirming that they cannot make ends meet racing for just one team in the UK.

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IN SS this week both Craig Cook and Chris Harris confirming that they cannot make ends meet racing for just one team in the UK.

Define 'making ends meet'.

How does 'making ends meet' compare with the average National wage?

2 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

How do you attract these people?  The product is, for the most part, utterly dire!

One sentence answer each from yourself, Grand Central, Fromafar and The Dean Machine.  As they liked the post and seemed to think this was somehow inspired thinking...

Bare in mind, that every marketing initiative attempted over at least the last 10 (probably 20) years has utterly failed to improved crowds over any sustained period.

This will be a laugh...

TBH I do not think that the product is dire.
That is really your view, not mine.

But at the same time I do not think that there IS ANY specific thing that can be done to to 'attract people'.
That, I fear, may be an unsurmountable problem.
People are just not receptive to any message on the Speedway front.
And most of the reasons for that are actually nothing to do with the internal workings of the sport itself.
They are much more to do with the seismic generational changes that have occured in the 'outside world'; of which most Speedway folk seem to be oblivious.

One thing is for certain.
It does not lead me to believe ANY of the nonsense you keep talking about altering 'tracks' as being any form of answer either.

Making the best of what we have still has some milage in saving something of this sport.
But that prospect will be lost if people listen to the fairy story that it is the tracks that need changing to drive people through the turnstiles.
That is is just fiction.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

isn't it strange how 15 years+ ago riders could make ends meet just riding for one team and they were on a lot less money than they are today, so whats changed? the cost of the engines,tuning /servicing or whatever you want to call it has rocketed pretty much doubled and for what ?1mph , many say the racing is worse but it certainly hasn't got better as much as I have sympathy with the riders, life is tough,  there has been enough time to see the end coming and to make the bikes cost less to help themselves but riders are not interested, they are happy pouring money out to external sources to have a product which is no better than it was 25 years ago but the answer from acu house will be to put £2 on admission and make all riders double up even more, so as I see it after listening to some on here is to scrap team racing altogether and make it a competitors sport where riders pay to race and earn big prize money and the riders can ride as much as their hearts desire, then the tracks will make money so they can make them bigger and have better racing and we can all just remember team speedway as an outdated concept that nobody really cared about so we signed it off to the history books.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, New Science said:

No I wouldn't be prepared to watch teams full of guests...

But then again I shouldn't need to...

There are enough dates available to work around all the FIM fixtures which are put out well in advance..

14 home matches in a 28 week season isn't really too difficult to plan in I would suggest...

As for the TV deal? Running the odd Monday (if TV cannot change their schedule) would mean the usual impact to crowds but it did that anyway...

12 meetings at weekend and 2 TV meetings on a Monday is far better than 14 Mondays....