British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

If Belle Vue's lost half its crowd since its opening, surely there's still sufficient time (as it's happened recently) to find out why.  Is it cost, racenight? It's best finding out. You'd at least get some kind of pattern.

Edited by moxey63

On 7/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, BWitcher said:

That is absolutely nowhere near the real problem. 

Flawed tracks aren't the problem you say..?

Are you watching this utter joke of a televised meeting at Swindon?  

Poor tracks are killing the sport in this country!

• Like 1

Awful meeting on a dreadful/dangerous track which was woefully under watered. 

Nick morris is correct in saying typical England. The water bowser was inadequate and frankly Mickey Mouse. In Poland and Sweden they have the right equipment to start with. 

A close up of the two minute clock showed it perched on a former coffee table painted red. Just looks so amateur.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, moxey63 said:

If Belle Vue's lost half its crowd since its opening, surely there's still sufficient time (as it's happened recently) to find out why.  Is it cost, racenight? It's best finding out. You'd at least get some kind of pattern.

When we opened we had a lot of old fans return. They begrudgingly gave the play offs a go even though they didn’t much care for them. When Tai was drafted in for the play offs that saw a Wolves victory the old school don’t see it as the sporting contest from years ago. Now it’s just an occasional fun night, not to be taken seriously and this has led to fans drifting away again. The joker didn’t help either. 

If you had a time machine and you went back and told a fan how the sport would end up and how it would be run, they wouldn’t believe you. Seeing it unfold with my own eyes, I still find it unbelievable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouch said:

When we opened we had a lot of old fans return. They begrudgingly gave the play offs a go even though they didn’t much care for them. When Tai was drafted in for the play offs that saw a Wolves victory the old school don’t see it as the sporting contest from years ago. Now it’s just an occasional fun night, not to be taken seriously and this has led to fans drifting away again. The joker didn’t help either. 

If you had a time machine and you went back and told a fan how the sport would end up and how it would be run, they wouldn’t believe you. Seeing it unfold with my own eyes, I still find it unbelievable. 

That is exactly how I expected fans to be drifting away. It is just refreshing that they are there to be won back... instead of trying to get new ones that have never heard of the blinking thing.

58 minutes ago, ouch said:

It would have to be a fan of over 20 years ago I would say...

Since circa 2000 many fans have predicted the current situation as simply it was the ONLY outcome if British Speedway followed the same path of destruction...

Too many Mickey Mouse meetings which by definition then led to Mickey Mouse Championships eventually eroded the patience (and interest) of even the most ardent of fans....

Quantity of Speedway meetings became the mantra rather than the Quality of them...

All to pay for the far too many riders over this time who became full time professionals meaning they needed shed loads of meetings to earn a decent living after paying out 'daft money' on machinery and tuning, all to keep up with those with true genuine talent who would, by natural selection, inevitably rise to the top of the Sport. (Like has happened ongoing since 1928)...

The only way of paying for this 'professionalism' was to run more and more meetings of less and less credibility, and charge inflation busting admission fees year on year to desperately try and compensate for the ever growing annual reduction in income, all due to dissilusioned fans leaving the Sport in double digit % numbers each season..

Sky must have pumped in circa £20M to British Speedway over this time with the net result of diddly squat in positive impact to the Sport today...

Riders, bike and engine manufacturers, and tuners will all have earned a staggering amount of money in this time (an even more staggering amount given the actual size of the Sport I would suggest)...

If only half of that £20M had been invested in proper marketing and advertising of the Sport, maybe used as 'Prize Money' rather than 'wages' to give Championships some credibilty and kudos, or even used to subsidise admission costs, I would suggest the Sport in Britain would be a million miles better off than it is today.....

Sadly, when fans the length and breadth of the Country gave the Promoters some excellent constructive feedback in Speedway publications and social media, no one actually listened...

Maybe they were genuinely deaf? Or maybe they were just simply arrogant...?

One thing is for sure...

They need to start listening now,  and do something about it immediately...

Before it truly is too late...

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Icicle said:

Key words there are " PROPER MARKETING &ADVERTISING".

after Swindon last night we're better off keeping it a secret

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ch958 said:

after Swindon last night we're better off keeping it a secret

Exactly!  Any Marketing of the current offering will only hasten the demise of the sport in this country...

Fix the tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedway promoters are funny, though. They cancel an evening meeting when England plays a football match earlier in the day but don't believe the crowd will drop when there's a live speedway game on TV at the same time.

Edited by moxey63
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Icicle said:

Key words there are " PROPER MARKETING &ADVERTISING".

The key words should be Entertainment and Value For Money.

No point marketing and advertising if the product isn't good.

Edited by Hot Shoe
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Hot Shoe said:

The key words should be Entertainment and Value For Money.

No point marketing and advertising if the product isn't good.

And certainly don’t ever show that sort of crap live on TV

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

And certainly don’t ever show that sort of crap live on TV

Pointless in having live speedway on TV of that quality. Any casual viewer who stumbled across it might wonder how much the people were paid to stand and watch it.

In my opinion, which is not that highly regarded.....

Speedway needs to become staged and treated as a form of  entertainment more so than a sport.  Not necessarily from a results point of view but definitely from a rivalry point of view with staged banter, fights between riders / team managers, pre match enticing, after match aggro etc. Virtually the same as wrestling which is thriving all over the world packing the likes of Cardiff on a weekly basis in the USA.

Most importantly new fans need to be found to support speedway. If you say the average age of a speedway fan is about 50, then the life of the sport here in the UK is 30 years max.

Without new fans flocking in, and I do mean flocking in then the sport is doomed.  If we can't compete with what's on offer entertainment wise in 2018 what hope do we have in another 5 or 10 years.

Time for big changes or time to accept the best days are behind us and thank the lord that we have the memories of better times, when we were kids etc and went to busy stadiums with atmospheres and craved the next visit.

Nothing else to add, but nice to be slightly involved again this year and I've actually booked the day off next year to take the family to Cardiff to show them what speedway used to be like and the buzz it gave you.

• Like 1