British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

On 7/31/2018 at 8:19 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

MANY years ago the then Chairman of the SCB told me that it was easy to impose discipline on promoters because most of them were leaving meetings with shed loads of money in their car boots and the thought of losing their licence ensured they toed the line.

Now, any threats are likely to be met with "we will close." 

Not a proper sport, when a club can say "we will close" if they are disciplined. When promoters wield more power than the SCB, how's this happened? Clubs with long-standing traditions have disappeared just by the powering up of a bulldozer and yet these over-grown businessmen want to withdraw because they can't have one over everyone else. The last thing needed is for petulant promoters to start bellyaching when they don't agree with something and threatening to withdraw. Crying wolf is not good. In the end, fans just won't give a damn. You support a team with loyalty and want it to be there as far as you can see, otherwise why bother. Perhaps fans' passions will get directed elsewhere if they're forever hearing their promoters say the speedway team may have to close... again. I know about that, I think it got me in the end at Belle Vue. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm more engrossed in the history side now - because I know that has happened. No one can take it away. The future is uncertain.  

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

You know after the winter of discontent 2010,2011 and such a pity during that time the sport did not end up in the law courts ,a big shake up was needed and for me that was a opportunity missed. Since that time interesting enough the sport has simply been going downhill. Are top league down to seven teams, however a turning point could happen next season with one promoter possibly saleing up ,and for me if that club closes the door others I feel will have more of a say . Has to be one big league however and unfortunately that has to be at championship level, top riders are costly and we don’t need them to provide entertaining racing ,let them race elsewhere. I hope common since is the answer over the winter . Give the sport time to recover at a lower level for now. Please 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If its one big league then I see rider control as imperative....but given the conflict of interest promoters have I don't see how that will happen.

its not as though riders can complain as they have demonstated they will ride anywhere over recent seasons.. The ridiculous level of team changes in the top 2 leagues is frankly a joke...how can fans relate to a team that changes riders every month...

• Like 1

One big league has be tried before and turned out to be an abject failure, so why should it be different this time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevH said:

One big league has be tried before and turned out to be an abject failure, so why should it be different this time?

Like people are pointing out it has to come down a level to give the sport a chance to recover.That is my opinion too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Like people are pointing out it has to come down a level to give the sport a chance to recover.That is my opinion too.

There was some big players who called out the shots by not releasing top riders to the lesser teams to allow them to compete fairly. That situation has gradually changed with a more urgent need to work together, or go under. That wasn't a choice in them in the  90's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

There was some big players who called out the shots by not releasing top riders to the lesser teams to allow them to compete fairly. That situation has gradually changed with a more urgent need to work together, or go under. That wasn't a choice in them in the  90's.

Some would argue that the 'lesser teams' couldn't afford the 'top riders' even if they were released.

Just now, KevH said:

Some would argue that the 'lesser teams' couldn't afford the 'top riders' even if they were released.

But that was the agreement to the decision, and those who missed out, Middlesbrough for one, felt that they could not compete with only a second string as their no 1 ride.. 

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

But that was the agreement to the decision, and those who missed out, Middlesbrough for one, felt that they could not compete with only a second string as their no 1 ride.. 

So why would it be any different next season?

There will always be a 'rich end' and a 'poor end' in any league in any sport,  and the fact is that the 'rich end' will win the day.

2 minutes ago, KevH said:

So why would it be any different next season?

There will always be a 'rich end' and a 'poor end' in any league in any sport,  and the fact is that the 'rich end' will win the day.

So who is the 'rich' these days. Much more level playing ground now with less 'rich' and a smaller influence on the rest.

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

So who is the 'rich' these days. Much more level playing ground now with less 'rich' and a smaller influence on the rest.

I would imagine Terry Russell's Swindon could be considered 'rich' compared to, for example, Erik and Brian Gladders' Redcar.

Just now, KevH said:

I would imagine Terry Russell's Swindon could be considered 'rich' compared to, for example, Erik and Brian Gladders' Redcar.

Then perhaps the 'rich' clubs should go it alone.....

no need for a league programme - just straight to the play off final between both of them :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, KevH said:

Yes that's one, and the rest are ? You are assuming Swindon will have a track next year ? 

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yes that's one, and the rest are ? You are assuming Swindon will have a track next year ? 

And I guess you're hoping they don't, so your argument is upheld.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

You sound, from your much more 'knowing' perspective, to be suggesting that an 'one league' option could work better than before.

I am happy to be be guided by you.
I was of the opinion that it would be just as much of a FAIL as when tried in the 90s.

Really surprised that you think it would be different this time.