British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHISPER it ... there was a BSPA meeting last Tuesday. Don't think they want anyone to know:neutral:

The BSPA make the Freemasons look like an outgoing and inclusive organisation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theblueboy said:

The BSPA make the Freemasons look like an outgoing and inclusive organisation.

I suppose the jacket and tie gives it away, rather than the ring.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

I suppose the jacket and tie gives it away, rather than the ring.

If it was a straight jacket I’d be more inclined to agree with you...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHISPER it ... there was a BSPA meeting last Tuesday. Don't think they want anyone to know:neutral:

Is that where the rumour of extending the cut off date come from?

Lets face it, the BSPA is our equivalent of the KGB. Fortunately, they do bump people off !

It's about time that heads were removed from the sand and realistic thoughts given to the sport. Changes yes, there has to be. Take the possibility of  one senior league, together with the National League. Say we had 14 clubs in it, running on alternate weeks. Riding from April to September would give 26 weeks, but a 14 club scenario would require 28 weeks, no rain-offs, to complete the league only. A KO Cup competition and Play Off system, assuming they were still wanted would require more weeks. The question is, how many teams are in the BSPA thoughts? A rider would only be guaranteed 28 meetings (26 League, plus 2 KOC) and that is clearly not enough.

With the cost of equipment, riders would need more than 16 meetings to justify the outlay on machinery. With one league only, doubling up would not be feasible. So where would the extra meetings come from, without doubling up? To get any current Championship club to join the Premiership, pay rates would need adjustment; we've seen in the past (1995/96) that amalgamation almost financially crippled some tracks. Therefore, would the riders give it a go for less money? Possibly they would, but only if they had more meetings guaranteed to earn their living.

I just wish the BSPA would do the honourable thing and consult with the people who matter most to them - the fans. Without them, they're knackered. However, as we know from many years experience, it will be highly unlikely they would. They would be very foolish and, perhaps they are, to ignore our wishes, whether in part, or full. 

Edited by tobytrotter58
  • Like 2

Not supporting the BSPA particularly, but is there any other sports organisation, association or even corporate that issues press releases after every board or Council meeting?!

As many owners have found in the past, the more you seek views from fans the more and different views you will get in response.

Fans views will be 'biased' depending on what club/riders they support; what league they see or have seen most of their speedway at; or what their TV Meeting experience has been; and even down to what facilities they are expected to endure when they do attend a meeting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Not supporting the BSPA particularly, but is there any other sports organisation, association or even corporate that issues press releases after every board or Council meeting?!

As many owners have found in the past, the more you seek views from fans the more and different views you will get in response.

Fans views will be 'biased' depending on what club/riders they support; what league they see or have seen most of their speedway at; or what their TV Meeting experience has been; and even down to what facilities they are expected to endure when they do attend a meeting.

The BSPA do not understood the importance of being open and transparent, even though Chapman offered it as one of his priorities.

It may be different if the sport was going from strength to strength but when it is in such obvious difficulties they desperately need the current fan base to remain loyal and a history of poor decision making and silence only alienates many of those still remaining. Silence and their previous record leaves a vacuum for rumour and creates a belief that either they cannot see the many problems or are bereft of ideas to solve them. If they really do want to get out of the current mess they are going to have to carry the fans with them and that means making them feel valued and involved. There are many companies and organisations who think it necessary to use focus groups and to survey their customers. They understand the importance of discovering what they think of current products or services and of assessing their reaction to changes they are considering making.

The BSPA needs to realise that, despite what they may think, we all want the same thing and that is for speedway to prosper and grow. At the end of the day they will not be handing over any power and they would no doubt get lots of impractical suggestions but there would also be sound and sensible ideas. It would certainly help them avoid some of the silly rule changes, those where people on here have immediately identified the flaws and which the BSPA have, sooner or later, had to abandon.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

i think the decisions made in the near future may be catastrophic to some clubs so it may be that keeping things quiet is understandable atm.

6 minutes ago, ch958 said:

i think the decisions made in the near future may be catastrophic to some clubs so it may be that keeping things quiet is understandable atm.

I think that with any big decisions to be agreed and announced by the BSPA, there will aways be 'winners' and 'losers' hoping that the sport is the real winner in the longer term.  Difficulty is, even fans have different expectations so there will always be some winners and losers amongst even them. Of course as with a lot of this type of thread, all the usual losers flock to then to regurgitate  their own personal hobby horses, which of course they will never be called on to take on the risks like the promoters do. You can guarantee the same forumers will be to the fore on the proposals that have been discussed and agreed by the BSPA, just because it's he only thing that they are about.  SAD.  Once a critic, always a critic with some.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

The BSPA do not understood the importance of being open and transparent, even though Chapman offered it as one of his priorities.

It may be different if the sport was going from strength to strength but when it is in such obvious difficulties they desperately need the current fan base to remain loyal and a history of poor decision making and silence only alienates many of those still remaining. Silence and their previous record leaves a vacuum for rumour and creates a belief that either they cannot see the many problems or are bereft of ideas to solve them. If they really do want to get out of the current mess they are going to have to carry the fans with them and that means making them feel valued and involved. There are many companies and organisations who think it necessary to use focus groups and to survey their customers. They understand the importance of discovering what they think of current products or services and of assessing their reaction to changes they are considering making.

The BSPA needs to realise that, despite what they may think, we all want the same thing and that is for speedway to prosper and grow. At the end of the day they will not be handing over any power and they would no doubt get lots of impractical suggestions but there would also be sound and sensible ideas. It would certainly help them avoid some of the silly rule changes, those where people on here have immediately identified the flaws and which the BSPA have sooner out later had to aband.

I think the Promoters collectively know all the options, as it's not exactly the sole prime exclusive interest of the sports fans. What they have of course is the cost of everything, and the the consequences of whatever is decided good or bad, unlike supporters who all differ anyway.

As I said, and Skidder1 has commented on, why harangue  the BSPA for not announcing they are having a meeting, and not publish the outcomes which may well be getting carried over to another meeting or a secret vote after the meeting in order to proceed. In say a sports football problem, like signing a new player, the clubs don't tell the press where they are meeting,  who they are signing, what they are offering, what the demands are, and who the alternatives are and how far down the road they are at with the alternative player. It's all done and dusted first, and the outcome announced for the sports fans and administrators to move on. Expectations of some on here are mostly fanciful and inconsistent with what they might thing about other sports or businesses. Get real.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I think the Promoters collectively know all the options, as it's not exactly the sole prime exclusive interest of the sports fans. What they have of course is the cost of everything, and the the consequences of whatever is decided good or bad, unlike supporters who all differ anyway.

As I said, and Skidder1 has commented on, why harangue  the BSPA for not announcing they are having a meeting, and not publish the outcomes which may well be getting carried over to another meeting or a secret vote after the meeting in order to proceed. In say a sports football problem, like signing a new player, the clubs don't tell the press where they are meeting,  who they are signing, what they are offering, what the demands are, and who the alternatives are and how far down the road they are at with the alternative player. It's all done and dusted first, and the outcome announced for the sports fans and administrators to move on. Expectations of some on here are mostly fanciful and inconsistent with what they might thing about other sports or businesses. Get real.

But football is a completely different 'animal'. The media are all over football like a rash, so any news, rumours etc are not kept secret for very long. Whereas speedway has very little media outlets. Speedway Star, this forum, local newspapers a bit. Perhaps unofficial club websites, local radio a bit, word of mouth on the muddy terraces.......I have run out of ideas! 

2 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

But football is a completely different 'animal'. The media are all over football like a rash, so any news, rumours etc are not kept secret for very long. Whereas speedway has very little media outlets. Speedway Star, this forum, local newspapers a bit. Perhaps unofficial club websites, local radio a bit, word of mouth on the muddy terraces.......I have run out of ideas! 

So less people in a lesser sport want more high profile consideration with ongoing discussions. It's not only the promoters that want a shake at times.

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

So less people in a lesser sport want more high profile consideration with ongoing discussions. It's not only the promoters that want a shake at times.

I think it is fair of the paying supporters, to expect there to be some kind of dialogue between the promoters and the fans. Keeping schtum, just makes things worse! Brexit is a perfect example!  

19 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think it is fair of the paying supporters, to expect there to be some kind of dialogue between the promoters and the fans. Keeping schtum, just makes things worse! Brexit is a perfect example!  

They do when there is agreement and some sort of new plan. That's the time to do their duty to inform the public/fans and not before. You can talk all day with fans, but any input would be so different ,and varied there would be as many losers and winners with putting their ideas through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

They have made some pretty  catostrophic  decisions in the past , even when they weren't intended to be. A decision ir two that actually benefits the sport and ensures that all clubs running this year come to the tapes next year would be a welcome change, but I am not holding my breath. Things have plummeted to a new low since Chapman and Godfrey took over. I genuinely believe they think they can muddle along as they've done in the past and things will somehow work out alright in the end. They don't realise they are drinking in the Last Chance Saloon.