Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I QUERIED his comment about Monday as a set night. Apart from Wolverhampton, who have a long tried and tested Monday as their racenight, many other tracks won't entertain it. It is financial suicide... the night after a weekend when many will have had their fill of 'entertainment'.

Do Wolves choose to race Monday/midweek or is it forced on them?

Would they get bigger crowds on Friday/Saturday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Unfortunately a 'one league solution' is only ever taken when there is no real alternative. It is, in itself, an indication of there not being any good answer. Not even a least worse. Just the only, quite pitiful one, we can take.

But just as in the nineties it will only shift the problems from one place to another. There won't be enough riders to go round, there will be unbalanced teams, very uncompetitive races between the best and the worst riders and any extra financial burden placed on the lower tier clubs will kill them. 

Perhaps the only route. But not one to salvation.

There is enough riders. 

We had uncompetitive races in the halcyon days of the 70’s as Mauger etc raced away from the oppositions reserves. Even worse they could do it in heat 8. We created rules to stop that and we recently had protected heats where only the administration of averages saw that not work correctly. If we know beforehand that lower league club will be shat on then create a system to stop it. The Aces always got the crappy end of the stick with rider control and we would again but if it suits the sport as a whole, bring it back. 

We don’t have the option to do nothing nor make minor tweaks here and there. A full and comprehensive relaunch or reboot as is the modern term is required. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never mind it being the end of speedway... what about the Speedway Star? I have every copy, you know?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ouch said:

There is enough riders. 

We had uncompetitive races in the halcyon days of the 70’s as Mauger etc raced away from the oppositions reserves. Even worse they could do it in heat 8. We created rules to stop that and we recently had protected heats where only the administration of averages saw that not work correctly. If we know beforehand that lower league club will be shat on then create a system to stop it. The Aces always got the crappy end of the stick with rider control and we would again but if it suits the sport as a whole, bring it back. 

We don’t have the option to do nothing nor make minor tweaks here and there. A full and comprehensive relaunch or reboot as is the modern term is required. 

Now you have persuaded me that this will work swimmingly.

I feel thoroughly reassured.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE BSPA General Council met on Tuesday at a time when speedway in the UK is in crisis. 

But, as usual, no word from the inner chambers of ACU House in Rugby. We are not allowed to know what they discussed, what plans they have afoot or any decisions made. They have become the ultimate secret society.

And yet they wonder (maybe they don't) why the paying public, on whom they depend, despair and are deserting the sport in their droves. Are they interested in what British fans, those that are left, are prepared to pay to watch?

Crisis? What crisis?

Everything's great. It's going fine.

David Davies coming in to take over.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Crisis? What crisis?

Everything's great. It's going fine.

David Davies coming in to take over.

Who's that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Crisis? What crisis?

Everything's great. It's going fine.

David Davies coming in to take over.

Well he was a member of the SAS! :unsure:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Swindon promoter Terry Russell makes some really good points in SS this week, especially about CL tracks living off the backs of PL ones.

Conversely, I find reprehensible Russell's comments a total embarassment that typify why I'm currently so ashamed to have wasted so much of my life on this sport.

It's the 'us and them' mentality that has brought the sport in this country to the brink of despair.

'If they think they're going to get away with it, they're not'.  I mean, what sort of quote is that to be coming out with?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

That sounds about right because the whole house of cards will collapse then, due to lack of support and that is the way of the survival of the fittest / most popular sports - no different to the rest of the evolving universe.

 I quite like the idea of riders racing for a prize money pot, with the right incentives they might really race for it. But how many riders would be up for it? No teams at all. No league speedway. Is there an appetite for that? A speedway circus.

Retainers seems to be the way of the speedway world these days. How many tracks can afford to pay these, with so few coming through the gate. Rye house paid the price for such a risky strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Now you have persuaded me that this will work swimmingly.

I feel thoroughly reassured.

The thing is it should or can work, only the people running it will prevent this. 

Realistically, I’m not confident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Never mind it being the end of speedway... what about the Speedway Star? I have every copy, you know?

Going black and white as an economy move? It would be sensible. Or should I say monochrome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Never mind it being the end of speedway... what about the Speedway Star? I have every copy, you know?

I’m still surprised that fans won’t pay thirty odd pence a day on a magazine dedicated to a sport they love. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ouch said:

The thing is it should or can work, only the people running it will prevent this. 

Realistically, I’m not confident. 

Thank God for that.

Of course those running it wont make it work.

That is a cert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE BSPA General Council met on Tuesday at a time when speedway in the UK is in crisis. 

But, as usual, no word from the inner chambers of ACU House in Rugby. We are not allowed to know what they discussed, what plans they have afoot or any decisions made. They have become the ultimate secret society.

And yet they wonder (maybe they don't) why the paying public, on whom they depend, despair and are deserting the sport in their droves. Are they interested in what British fans, those that are left, are prepared to pay to watch?

Probably the most important thing on the discussion table was where to have this years p!$$ up, excuse me AGM.:blink:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Well he was a member of the SAS! :unsure:

And the Kinks : )

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy