British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

Getting back to the thread title and OP.

Today's statement from Stuart Douglas and Jon Cook refers to the 'BSPA having exciting plans for 2019' .....

It's pleasing to find out that they have plans at all. Having kept then so quiet. But to find out that Stuart and Jon have found them exciting is simply mouth watering.

It's like Christmas all over again. Waiting, and hoping and wondering IF Santa will bring the promised gift ... The anticipation just being heightened by not knowing until December.... 

I hope we are not left with Reindeer turd.

Again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grand Central said:

You make it sound so easy ... So it must be true.

I would love to watch Championship level Speedway for £10 to £12 in 2019.

But returning to planet Earth ....

It's not just the sport that is the reason people are leaving but also the cost. By lowering the wages paid it can be lower admission prices and it will see an increase in crowds. By getting a bigger crowd you sell more at food outlets, create more atmosphere and more people talking about they night they had out at the speedway.

At £18 for adults you are not going to gain new people and judging by the age of lots of fans, many qualify for the £13 concessions now.

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Totally agree

35 points using Premiership averages is 45.5 at this years Championship level

A 10% increase in rider quality yet there is an expected reduction in admission from around £16 to £10

Pie in the sky

Yes but foreign riders will be on assessed averages not 3.00 and with current Premiership riders in if you make a list of current riders here and add a number of new riders from abroad and the NL then 35 is a realistic figure. At the end of year season when averages are finished you can work it out but if it has to be 34 then so be it as long as it's fair to ALL tracks and British riders get more places, especially at reserve

OUTSIDER - just reading through your post about four teams in two events 

So going on your example of Scunthorpe, heat one and both Scunny riders get wiped out and unable to continue .... Match over

also your are increasing the away matches by three but only one home match to create income. Only way around this is home track pays all riders on a set pay rate of £50 a point and £50 a start

Just now, Grand Central said:

Today's statement from Stuart Douglas and Jon Cook refers to the 'BSPA having exciting plans for 2019' .....

It's pleasing to find out that they have plans at all. Having kept then so quiet. But to find out that Stuart and Jon have found them exciting is simply mouth watering.

It's like Christmas all over again. Waiting, and hoping and wondering IF Santa will bring the promised gift ... The anticipation just being heightened by not knowing until December.... 

Again.

I spotted the line about exciting plans. 

Any chance the fans might be let into what these exciting plans entail --- after all the recent muddles, it might be wise for the BSPA to open the plans for consultation before implementing them. Such consultation could turn up inconsistencies and potential problems before they arise. 

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

Any chance the fans might be let into what these exciting plans entail --- after all the recent muddles, it might be wise for the BSPA to open the plans for consultation before implementing them. Such consultation could turn up inconsistencies and potential problems before they arise. 

MUSHROOM STATUS

Keep em in the dark and feed them xxxx

Just now, INCOGNITO said:

MUSHROOM STATUS

Keep em in the dark and feed them xxxx

Very true. When will they learn?

35 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

As I say on another thread - it'll be the return of the Green helmet colour (or something as drastic).....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Very true. When will they learn?

Never! the BSPA have proved incapable of listening or learning. Until they stand amid the smouldering ruins of what was UK speedway, possibly even then they will just wonder " why, how did it go wrong when we tried so hard".

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Naturally, that would be a wise thing for them do except that they don't do "wise". Except in the sense of being wise after the event.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

Again.

Not another promise of exciting new plans for next season. Remember, the same Jon Cook that introduced Man O' Man heats to the KO Cup..

Perhaps next season they plan on having a real life Play-Off system, as the weakest tracks fold week by week in the summer and then the last two standing are crowned Champions, but only after we await the other results being expunged.

Exciting plans don't fill me with joy.

Some may criticise my actions but I have only attended 2 meetings this year and I am probably not going to another because of the mess and general pi33 take out of fans. 

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

To make one league work the standard would need to be 'Championship Lite' I would say..

1000 per match paying a tenner wouldn't even cover that level though I would think...

Maybe 1000 at £12-£13 could cover it?

But sadly 1000 may be too high a crowd level for some maybe?

Have you considered the VAT implications?
for £12.00 the promotion would receive £10.00
For £13.00 the promotion would receive £10.84

Just now, 1 valve said:

Have you considered the cash at the turnstyle implications?  :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Have you considered the cash at the turnstyle implications?  :)

Ah good point, and to keep things consistent pay the riders in cash  making sure they declare a lesser figure..
Tax man will never catch on and speedway will go from strength to strength:party: 

• Haha 2

I don't post on here very often these days nor have I read every post on this subject so apologies if someone else has already posted something like mine. The overwhelming issue as regards speedway is, in my view anyway, because so many are unaware of the sport even down to something as simple as to what is is and where it is staged. If I ever say anything about Arena Essex and the Lakeside Hammers, people, for the most part, just haven't got a clue what I am talking about. TV on its own has yet to overcome this issue as most people just flick through the channels looking for something that might interest them, which for the most part means skipping over the speedway racing bit. Unfortunately, until we overcome this problem I'm afraid our sport will continue as a minority attraction.

Edited by macinter

59 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Teams should pay no more than £5k a night...

£10k needed for the home and away payment...

Five man teams quite possibly the maximum....

Top rider earning around £3000 for both meetings, and No5 earning £1000...

Maybe some performance related pay in line with any crowd increase above "break even"...?

Maybe even £5k a night is too much in the current climate?

Bottom line is 400- 500 people paying £17/£18 and clubs keeping the same outgoings is nothing more than a road to nowhere...

You cannot pay seven riders out for two meetings on that at the current salary levels..

And £17/£18 admission isn't going to ever bring thousands in, with no doubt a planned inflation busting increase next year to pay for this seasons drop in attendances adding to the exodus of fans..

Something has to give...

And reducing the number of 'employees' thus reducing your payroll, allied to a reduction in operating costs, is 100% the 'short term' way forward for any struggling business...

The secret then is to grow your customer base to allow you to pay more in the future to allow you attract a higher standard of employee and/or increase your head count again...

I think that this finally may be sinking in as Promoters realise that working in splendid isolation is actually no longer beneficial to them individually, and definitely isnt for the 'collectives' long term positive future...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1