British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

12 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHICH is exactly how this particular topic started. There is word in the air that one league has been dropped, that some CL tracks will move into the PL and NL ones into the CL. 

Oh, same old, same old structure then seems likely to be laid before us. That structure has already failed abysmally to neither retain existing fans, nor attract new ones.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHICH is exactly how this particular topic started. There is word in the air that one league has been dropped, that some CL tracks will move into the PL and NL ones into the CL. 

That is likely to lead to even more bankruptcies and mid season closures.

As Ric Frost once said BSPA are not capable of even operating a Burger Van  successfully.

If there is a chance that BT will continue showing live meetings in 2019 then there will always be a 'top' league!! What level that 'top' league will operate at, what team building limits they will be working towards, how many riders in a team, how many teams and what the race format will be are still up for discussion I guess.

I see Newcastle have called a fans forum on Monday and their intention is to inform fans and discuss all things except those that are still currently 'BSPA embargoed'!

Edited by Skidder1

12 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

If there is a chance that BT will continue showing live meetings in 2019 then there will always be a 'top' league!! What level that 'top' league will operate at, what team building limits they will be working towards, how many riders in a team, how many teams and what the race format will be are still up for discussion I guess.

I see Newcastle have called a fans forum on Monday and their intention is to inform fans and discuss all things except those that are still currently 'BSPA embargoed'!

BT have a two-year contract... are getting good viewing figures and coupled with the SGP/SON see speedway as an asset

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BT have a two-year contract... are getting good viewing figures and coupled with the SGP/SON see speedway as an asset

Philip, I am aware. My point was that BT are more than happy with the SGBP figures which points the way to the continuation of a 'top' league structure in 2019.

I really cannot see any viable alternative to some form of 'three-tier' structure.
It is the only way of accommodating the widely disparate financial positions of the clubs we have today. 
Trying to shoe-horn (say) Poole and Redcar into a one league structure is borderline-mental.

Having said that; it will only work if the BSPA get the various levels right. And that can be done.
Unfortunately recent experience does not leave me optimistic, especially when considers the current poor standard of leadership.

Probably the worst of any since 1965.

Edited by Grand Central

42 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Philip, I am aware. My point was that BT are more than happy with the SGBP figures which points the way to the continuation of a 'top' league structure in 2019.

OF course there are still promoters, one on your doorstep, who would like British speedway on TV scrapped.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

OF course there are still promoters, one on your doorstep, who would like British speedway on TV scrapped.

Only scrapped if they are not paying anything for the 'privelege'!;)

BT is reportedly getting good viewing figures. How many at home have long given up on watching from the actual venue? Is this the cost of live matches?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

I really cannot see any viable alternative to some form of 'three-tier' structure.
It is the only way of accommodating the widely disparate financial positions of the clubs we have today. 
Trying to shoe-horn (say) Poole and Redcar into a one league structure is borderline-mental.

Having said that; it will only work if the BSPA get the various levels right. And that can be done.
Unfortunately recent experience does not leave me optimistic, especially when considers the current poor standard of leadership.

It just needs a two tier structure

one league based on present championship levels and one on NL level, then rebuild on some form of sound foundation

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

I think it could work if the averages were such that the poorer clubs could afford a team that fits them, the richer clubs might tempt more up and coming likely improvers but that happens now. As things are, you're going to get more clubs risking their long-term future through trying to compete, apart from one or two tracks, you walk into the stadium and there's no one there! Delusions of grandeur are allowing the Sport to disintegrate.

1 minute ago, foamfence said:

I think it could work if the averages were such that the poorer clubs could afford a team that fits them, the richer clubs might tempt more up and coming likely improvers but that happens now. As things are, you're going to get more clubs risking their long-term future through trying to compete, apart from one or two tracks, you walk into the stadium and there's no one there! Delusions of grandeur are allowing the Sport to disintegrate.

Not sure which system you are saying 'could work' so not sure if I agree or disagree.

5 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

It just needs a two tier structure

one league based on present championship levels and one on NL level, then rebuild on some form of sound foundation

I disagree.
Even the current Championship cannot be viable for much longer with the need to accommodate the likes of Glasgow with the really cash-poor teams.

A three-tier structure that has the criteria set rigidly on financial positions can really work.
A top league no more costly than the current Championship, a middle tier at a level that the lower championship and higher NL teams could cope with (whatever that is) and an 'amateur' league for the likes of Buxton, IOW etc who can afford hardly anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

Not sure which system you are saying 'could work' so not sure if I agree or disagree.

I disagree.
Even the current Championship cannot be viable for much longer with the need to accommodate the likes of Glasgow with the really cash-poor teams.

A three-tier structure that has the criteria set rigidly on financial positions can really work.
A top league no more costly than the current Championship, a middle tier at a level that the lower championship and higher NL teams could cope with (whatever that is) and an 'amateur' league for the likes of Buxton, IOW etc who can afford hardly anything.

I was saying that one big league could work. "A top league no more costly than the current championship" would certainly be a good idea but some clubs wont go for that. I think whatever happens will just be papering over the cracks anyway.

4 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I was saying that one big league could work. "A top league no more costly than the current championship" would certainly be a good idea but some clubs wont go for that. I think whatever happens will just be papering over the cracks anyway.

Oh OK. You might be right.

But the cracks will be that much wider in one league and totally unfillable in my view.