Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

30 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Not sure which system you are saying 'could work' so not sure if I agree or disagree.

I disagree.
Even the current Championship cannot be viable for much longer with the need to accommodate the likes of Glasgow with the really cash-poor teams.

A three-tier structure that has the criteria set rigidly on financial positions can really work.
A top league no more costly than the current Championship, a middle tier at a level that the lower championship and higher NL teams could cope with (whatever that is) and an 'amateur' league for the likes of Buxton, IOW etc who can afford hardly anything.

No problem with that if it is required, as long as the top league is set at present championship level

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I gather there was a meeting of the BSPA on Monday/Tuesday and the main topic would be next years league formats, so they are hardly in a position to announce anything till things are sorted. 

Just to add to my own post. If the outcomes of talks this week by the BSPA are embargoed, obviously George and Martin will not be discussing those. The fans meeting that has been called by Newcastle Speedway on Monday night at the South Gosforth Social Club(plug), is to talk mainly about the general running of the club in 2019, and also the celebration of the 90th anniversary of speedway at Brough Park. Everyone is invited, and questions will be taken from the floor to capture and ideas and feelings as to how we run next year.  It's a consultation meeting and hopefully a lot of good and change will come out of it.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Having said that; it will only work if the BSPA get the various levels right. And that can be done.
Unfortunately recent experience does not leave me optimistic, especially when considers the current poor standard of leadership.

Probably the worst of any since 1965.

Absolutely.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

None of this tinkering will save UK speedway on its downhill spiral. More fans are needed at the turnstiles.

Cricket saved itself by inventing 20 over crash bang wallop “T20 “ . Purists hate it but it gets the punters paying to watch.  

Maybe Speedway needs a kick up the bum and change the 4lap 15 heat format for every meeting

So maybe have 3 lap races ..... no race stoppages - if you fall off get off the track or you will be excluded .... do as you like at the tapes but if you touch em you are excluded. No first bend bunching - if you fall and don’t get off the track or remount you are excluded.2 minute rule shortened to one minute. Fail to make the warning you are excluded no replacements allowed . 

No race stoppages if you fall off!!! Bloody hell m8, that's ridiculous! 

As far as getting more fans in, the only thing that I think will encourage more fans is handicap racing, every fan wants to see 'racing' and it's just too processional. The riders would hate it (I think) because they are more vulnerable but....... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trees said:

As far as getting more fans in, the only thing that I think will encourage more fans is handicap racing, every fan wants to see 'racing' and it's just too processional. The riders would hate it (I think) because they are more vulnerable but....... 

Wow that is the most positive thing I have heard you say about what needs to change in UK speedway IF new fans are going to be tempted back. Yes, handicap racing carries more risks but it will pull in new, different fans because it includes passing, which is exciting to watch. Riders are as guilty as promoters for the decline in interest in speedway in the UK because they don't have to take risks at the moment after coming out of bend 2 lap 1. They don't want to, in the main, either. Racing has mostly gone out of the window and 75% of heats are speedway following or chasing. So, yes, handicap racing and standardised bikes could be the salvation of UK speedway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Wow that is the most positive thing I have heard you say about what needs to change in UK speedway IF new fans are going to be tempted back. Yes, handicap racing carries more risks but it will pull in new, different fans because it includes passing, which is exciting to watch. Riders are as guilty as promoters for the decline in interest in speedway in the UK because they don't have to take risks at the moment after coming out of bend 2 lap 1. They don't want to, in the main, either. Racing has mostly gone out of the window and 75% of heats are speedway following or chasing. So, yes, handicap racing and standardised bikes could be the salvation of UK speedway.

I'm not blind m8, I also don't think racing has changed horrendously over the years, it's just we remember good races and block out processions.  I know what a casual fan/newcomer wants to see though

But we, as fans, shouldn't forget what the guys are doing on track, how vulnerable they are to injuring themselves, how easy it is to just moan and groan when in actual fact they are giving 100% effort, earning a living or not as the case may be, not many of them are having money chucked at them like in the good old days you speak about. 

The press conferences give an insight at Lynn into what's going on, give the fans a closeness to the riders and management they wouldn't normally have and vice versa.  I know how hard Dale and the team work to eek out results, does that mean nothing to you? 

3 hours ago, Trees said:

I'm not blind m8, I also don't think racing has changed horrendously over the years, it's just we remember good races and block out processions.  I know what a casual fan/newcomer wants to see though

But we, as fans, shouldn't forget what the guys are doing on track, how vulnerable they are to injuring themselves, how easy it is to just moan and groan when in actual fact they are giving 100% effort, earning a living or not as the case may be, not many of them are having money chucked at them like in the good old days you speak about. 

The press conferences give an insight at Lynn into what's going on, give the fans a closeness to the riders and management they wouldn't normally have and vice versa.  I know how hard Dale and the team work to eek out results, does that mean nothing to you? 

You have got me all wrong, or have the wrong end of the stick, I know not which. EVERY rider at whatever level is a hero for getting out on track and giving it of their best. But they are not able to "put on a show" which is attracting enough spectators. That is what I am concerned about. I want to see 3,000 people for every match at KL. No kidding Buster, I do ( so long as there is enough space in the disabled section for me ).

But how it is run now, or is being forced to run ( UK speedway that is ) it can not lead to a revival. Speedway racing in the UK must change drastically or die out. Riders have to face that question as much as promoters and fans. If only 500 or 300 people, or less, will pay to watch you take part in mostly processional racing, how will you make a good living? So handicap racing and standardised bikes might be what riders have to accept.

I can't attend the press conference because the people who give me a lift need to leave. You saw my excitement at being pictured with Robert and his British Champion trophy and I was there to talk to Lewis Kerr about his injury ( and thank him for his efforts ). Any business, including KL speedway that is not economically viable, will close down. Only Buster, Robin and Dale can prevent that ( and any other secret shareholder or major sponsor ). 

On 8/18/2018 at 7:17 AM, Trees said:

No race stoppages if you fall off!!! Bloody hell m8, that's ridiculous! 

Can remember when T20 cricket was first announced as a new competition. And I was one of many who said "bloody hell, that's ridiculous".  But I went to all the home games, some away ones, three finals days. However that was probably mostly down to my team's success in the competition, because I'm now back to preferring the old format. 

MAybe not stopping the race for falls is taking it a bit far, but we shouldn't stop throwing seemingly mad ideas into the pot because sometimes it generates the creative thinking which subsequently produces a winning one. Handicap racing used to be hugely popular in the 1920's and 1930's didn't it? I think that having a mixture of different phases within a meeting/match is worth trying, although I'd have some concerns over the ability of many referees to handle it!

15 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Handicap racing used to be hugely popular in the 1920's and 1930's didn't it?

At least one season in the early 1960s had handicap racing in the league. The sight of Ronnie Moore going from 30 yards and still being in the lead at Plough Lane is forever etched on my brain. Second half races were often five rider, handicap events and great fun for the spectators although the riders may have been less keen about the idea. 

16 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

At least one season in the early 1960s had handicap racing in the league. The sight of Ronnie Moore going from 30 yards and still being in the lead at Plough Lane is forever etched on my brain. Second half races were often five rider, handicap events and great fun for the spectators although the riders may have been less keen about the idea. 

It wasn't popular with Briggo who claimed he was blowing more engines due to racing flat-out more often.

Whilst 'normal' racing continues to be popular everywhere but here there's no chance of handicap racing, it makes the sport too dangerous anyway. 

In this day and age the promoters need to just keep trying their best in all aspects of promotion. Of course they could do more, more for little or no money, as could the riders (by just saying and doing the right things by the fans to keep them interested, show that they give a damn about their club, the fans and the sport as well as earning their living. There is so much more to a speedway rider's job than racing his bike). 

• Like 2

Riders will have to learn to offer up "more" ( in some way ) if they want to continue to earn a full time living from speedway racing ( for those not racing in other European leagues that is ).

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHISPER it ... there was a BSPA meeting last Tuesday. Don't think they want anyone to know:neutral:

We KNOW that they don't want anyone to know - what was being discussed or even decided. History tells us that.

10 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

We KNOW that they don't want anyone to know - what was being discussed or even decided. History tells us that.

Why do they or any company need to advise others that they are having a meeting. Picky at it's best.

• Like 2