British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I think that with any big decisions to be agreed and announced by the BSPA, there will aways be 'winners' and 'losers' hoping that the sport is the real winner in the longer term.  Difficulty is, even fans have different expectations so there will always be some winners and losers amongst even them. Of course as with a lot of this type of thread, all the usual losers flock to then to regurgitate  their own personal hobby horses, which of course they will never be called on to take on the risks like the promoters do. You can guarantee the same forumers will be to the fore on the proposals that have been discussed and agreed by the BSPA, just because it's he only thing that they are about.  SAD.  Once a critic, always a critic with some.

in my view there will have to be a top division, just because some people won't give it up - well, good luck to them. As a lifelong Div 2 supporter I'd be looking for a massive weakening of that division with the resultant addition of several NL teams and hopefully thats enough to survive, which is the no1 priority atm. Its all well and good discussing how to get the fans back and having expectations but for the time being survival is the aim.

The diamonds and Redcar get approximately the same crowds as Gateshead FC, roughly speaking, and they aren't even professional any more, they certainly don't fly players in from the continent.

21 hours ago, ch958 said:

in my view there will have to be a top division, just because some people won't give it up - well, good luck to them. As a lifelong Div 2 supporter I'd be looking for a massive weakening of that division with the resultant addition of several NL teams and hopefully thats enough to survive, which is the no1 priority atm. Its all well and good discussing how to get the fans back and having expectations but for the time being survival is the aim.

The diamonds and Redcar get approximately the same crowds as Gateshead FC, roughly speaking, and they aren't even professional any more, they certainly don't fly players in from the continent.

I share a lot of your views there CH958. A big league would be the end of the Diamonds with us being a Sunday track, and against the power of Poland. Div 2 for me as well.  

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 8:23 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

WHISPER it ... there was a BSPA meeting last Tuesday. Don't think they want anyone to know:neutral:

Actually there is usually one every month!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 8:49 AM, Big Al said:

Can remember when T20 cricket was first announced as a new competition. And I was one of many who said "bloody hell, that's ridiculous".  But I went to all the home games, some away ones, three finals days. However that was probably mostly down to my team's success in the competition, because I'm now back to preferring the old format. 

MAybe not stopping the race for falls is taking it a bit far, but we shouldn't stop throwing seemingly mad ideas into the pot because sometimes it generates the creative thinking which subsequently produces a winning one. Handicap racing used to be hugely popular in the 1920's and 1930's didn't it? I think that having a mixture of different phases within a meeting/match is worth trying, although I'd have some concerns over the ability of many referees to handle it!

Early sixtes as well Funding Craven Brigg Moore Knudsson if I'm correct

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 1:34 PM, The Third Man said:

No problem with that if it is required, as long as the top league is set at present championship level

No problem with that forget the big hitters and get a team together that each can afford i like the idea of one big league.It can work let's get teams where the fans can identify with the riders again just like we used to but the main objective is to make speedway an enjoyable night out again.

• Like 2

This may be a bit off field but a lot of people who attend don’t buy programmes.

How do you keep and remember the score as the meeting progresses (especially at Kent where the announcer ‘whispers’ into the mic)!

The sport is poorer for this and part and parcel of its fabric.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GWC said:

This may be a bit off field but a lot of people who attend don’t buy programmes.

How do you keep and remember the score as the meeting progresses (especially at Kent where the announcer ‘whispers’ into the mic)!

The sport is poorer for this and part and parcel of its fabric.

Spot on. I've taken newbies who didn't have a clue what was going on yet when the idea of modern (ie electronic) timing and scoreboards was put forward the powers that be shunned it. 

LOOKING AT WHAT WE HAVE AND NEED

There are eleven tracks in the Championship and those 77 riders have combined averages of 465.12. In the Premiership there is just 13 riders you could look at being here next year that are not involved in the Championship (not inc Doyle) and they average 121.50 using assessed averages. You then have Lewis Kerr, Josh Bates and Lasse Bjerre to add plus possibly Kenneth Bjerre and Peter Kildemand making a total of roughly 623.00 for 93 riders.

If you are going with one main league and adding Rye House back into the league you need 133 riders for seven man teams and 114 for six rider teams. So you are looking at finding either 40 new riders for seven man teams or 21 for six man teams. So either way, where do you find the missing riders. Well we have so far only included the current teams 1-7 and therefore left out riders that have been replaced and not returned like Hartel, Gravesen, Rose, Hume, Jeppesen and Clegg but that's just six riders leaving you still needing 34 or 15 riders.

There are over twenty riders averaging over six in the National League that don't have a place in the Championship so you only need about twelve new riders coming in from abroad to fill seven man teams at all 19 tracks. With these riders you are adding 114 to the averages making a total of 737 roughly for 19 seven man teams giving an average just under 39 points per team so a 40 point limit should be about right for one main league in 2019. Make it one NL draft per team and get riders in from Denmark, Sweden, Germany etc but keep the reserves British and number seven stays at seven. 

ASSESSED RIDERS - Max Fricke 10.5, Rohan Tungate 9.5, Damian Drzodz 5.0, Hans Andersen 10, Kasprzak 10.5, Troy Batchelor 10.5, Tobiasz Musielak 9.0, Adam Ellis 8.5, David Bellego 8.5, Sam Masters 10.0, Jacob Thorssell 9.5, Jack Holder 9.0

40 point limit, 7 riders per team, NL draft number seven, reduced admission, varied fixtures, reduced wages, more local derbies

I cant see there being 19 teams in the league. More likely to be around 16 at the most if it is one big league. So we need 112 riders for that. Knock it down to 6 man teams and you are looking at 96. A much more realistic number in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, INCOGNITO said:

LOOKING AT WHAT WE HAVE AND NEED

There are eleven tracks in the Championship and those 77 riders have combined averages of 465.12. In the Premiership there is just 13 riders you could look at being here next year that are not involved in the Championship (not inc Doyle) and they average 121.50 using assessed averages. You then have Lewis Kerr, Josh Bates and Lasse Bjerre to add plus possibly Kenneth Bjerre and Peter Kildemand making a total of roughly 623.00 for 93 riders.

If you are going with one main league and adding Rye House back into the league you need 133 riders for seven man teams and 114 for six rider teams. So you are looking at finding either 40 new riders for seven man teams or 21 for six man teams. So either way, where do you find the missing riders. Well we have so far only included the current teams 1-7 and therefore left out riders that have been replaced and not returned like Hartel, Gravesen, Rose, Hume, Jeppesen and Clegg but that's just six riders leaving you still needing 34 or 15 riders.

There are over twenty riders averaging over six in the National League that don't have a place in the Championship so you only need about twelve new riders coming in from abroad to fill seven man teams at all 19 tracks. With these riders you are adding 114 to the averages making a total of 737 roughly for 19 seven man teams giving an average just under 39 points per team so a 40 point limit should be about right for one main league in 2019. Make it one NL draft per team and get riders in from Denmark, Sweden, Germany etc but keep the reserves British and number seven stays at seven. 

ASSESSED RIDERS - Max Fricke 10.5, Rohan Tungate 9.5, Damian Drzodz 5.0, Hans Andersen 10, Kasprzak 10.5, Troy Batchelor 10.5, Tobiasz Musielak 9.0, Adam Ellis 8.5, David Bellego 8.5, Sam Masters 10.0, Jacob Thorssell 9.5, Jack Holder 9.0

40 point limit, 7 riders per team, NL draft number seven, reduced admission, varied fixtures, reduced wages, more local derbies

If those assessed riders are taking part in 1 main league what's the solution for them missing plenty of fixtures because they're racing in Poland?

On 23 August 2018 at 9:04 AM, winstoncigar said:

Spot on. I've taken newbies who didn't have a clue what was going on yet when the idea of modern (ie electronic) timing and scoreboards was put forward the powers that be shunned it. 

Come to Lynn, we have an electronic scoreboard ... we’re not the only ones .....

7 hours ago, Trees said:

Come to Lynn, we have an electronic scoreboard ... we’re not the only ones .....

Wimbledon had an electric scoreboard in the 60's and 70's until the GRA started to destroy everything in the stadium so they could close it. The scoreboard was used for dog meetings for the tote betting and for speedway and stock car meetings for results. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Wimbledon had an electric scoreboard in the 60's and 70's until the GRA started to destroy everything in the stadium so they could close it. The scoreboard was used for dog meetings for the tote betting and for speedway and stock car meetings for results. 

...and, of course, Coventry used to have one. Now they don't have a track such is the desperate situation that speedway now finds itself regarding track closures etc.

• Sad 1

Another one bites the dust. How many over the winter will be lost to the sport? Take your pick from 3 or 4?