British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

How long do you think and inside source would remain an inside source if you ran off to print every time you put the ‘phone down on them?

Inside sources allow you to question the official line when it’s trotted out and you know it’s untrue. 

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Who's that?

My bad I think probably David Davis - the great (former) Brexit Secretary

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MAYBE they could at least tell us what they hope might be the answer and gauge public reaction before it is too late. For what it is worth, one league seems to be firmly on the table.

Swindon promoter Terry Russell makes some really good points in SS this week, especially about CL tracks living off the backs of PL ones.

Cant  see how they can entertain the idea of one big league - surely there wouldn't be enough riders.

ALL licensed promoters of every club can attend a General Council meeting. But not all (BV for example) have a vote. That is denied until the current promotion has held a licence for three years.

Not quite correct Phillip each licensed track can have 3 Promoters but only a maximum of 2 can attend  

8 hours ago, ouch said:

Do Wolves choose to race Monday/midweek or is it forced on them?

Would they get bigger crowds on Friday/Saturday?

fairly sure when i was a boy many years ago Wolverhampton were a friday night track, but they closed for a season or two late 70s early 80s and came back at 2nd division level on mondays.

I QUERIED his comment about Monday as a set night. Apart from Wolverhampton, who have a long tried and tested Monday as their racenight, many other tracks won't entertain it. It is financial suicide... the night after a weekend when many will have had their fill of 'entertainment'.

And .............. what was his answer? “It suits me”?

I don’t know why Terry is having a go at Lakeside, I am pretty sure part of the agreement of Hammers selling Swindon Adam Ells would be to get Nick Morris on loan? Maybe Swindon even got Adam at a bargain price through that deal?

And why is he complaining about Swindon not being able to race Friday’s when they had already been given a extra day (Thursdays) which is one more day than the other Prem clubs got?

5 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

fairly sure when i was a boy many years ago Wolverhampton were a friday night track, but they closed for a season or two late 70s early 80s and came back at 2nd division level on mondays.

Ran as a Friday track up until 1980. Rode on Sundays in NL in 1981. Reopened on Mondays in 1984.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE BSPA General Council met on Tuesday at a time when speedway in the UK is in crisis. 

But, as usual, no word from the inner chambers of ACU House in Rugby. We are not allowed to know what they discussed, what plans they have afoot or any decisions made. They have become the ultimate secret society.

And yet they wonder (maybe they don't) why the paying public, on whom they depend, despair and are deserting the sport in their droves. Are they interested in what British fans, those that are left, are prepared to pay to watch?

Re the lack of any announcement..

To be fair, I would suggest it takes a fair amount of time to accurately write down all the minutes of a full days meeting agenda....

Especially so when you are having to use parchment and a quill pen with which to do it..!!!

NB (An offically homologated parchment and quill pen obviously)..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, marko said:

I don’t know why Terry is having a go at Lakeside, I am pretty sure part of the agreement of Hammers selling Swindon Adam Ells would be to get Nick Morris on loan? Maybe Swindon even got Adam at a bargain price through that deal?

And why is he complaining about Swindon not being able to race Friday’s when they had already been given a extra day (Thursdays) which is one more day than the other Prem clubs got?

If they see buying riders as securing their future, well it isn’t a very good future at the moment.

My fear would be any changes to be implemented in the future to the leagues, race nights and rider control might cause Swindon to be a road block as it doesn’t suite their policy, as appears to be the case.

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

To be fair, I would suggest it takes a fair amount of time to accurately write down all the minutes of a full days meeting agenda....

Especially so when you are having to use parchment and a quill pen with which to do it..!!!

And factor in the need to travel to Far Distant Shores to catch the squid used for the ink. That must add quite a time to the overall procedure. And what happens if the Brother responsible for the calligraphy has by that time passed away. Training someone up to the required standard could take years.

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

Not unlike those committee meetings in the Vicar of Dibley I would imagine:

At Speedway Mail, 27 years ago, we were echoing the fans' growing dissatisfaction and urging the BSPA to listen to them.

All the grumbles expressed today were apparent back then - and beyond.

The problems have only worsened over the ensuing years.

Mail 1_lo.jpg

• Like 5

The results of SMI's 1991 survey reflected the mood but the BSPA has done little or nothing to address these old problems.

Mail 4_lo.jpg

• Like 4