British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

14 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You only have to read the arguments, self interest, and sometimes downright crazy ideas on here to realise the fans are the last people that should be listened to. Neither do the vast majority of businesses consult their customers on their product and services as quite clearly the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The eating ain’t going that well, is it? Time to listen to your customers?

You do talk some nonsense.

I suspect every successful business listens to its customers! If not, it should. Whether that’s M&S, Facebook or apple being concerned about their images and products or a local trader concerned about its reputation and repeat business.

10 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I suspect every successful business listens to its customers! If not, it should. Whether that’s M&S, Facebook or apple being concerned about their images and products or a local trader concerned about its reputation and repeat business.

I've never been asked by M&S and Apple for my opinions about their products. The fact I that I continue to buy from them is proof they're probably doing something right, even though I think Apple has started to lose the plot and have started to switch away from using their stuff.

Facebook doesn't listen to anyone, not least because we've had several engagements with them. They've been recently shamed into improving their fake news and data protection practices which has resulting in customers leaving, but really it's because governments have started to investigate their business practices. 

16 minutes ago, DC2 said:

The eating ain’t going that well, is it? Time to listen to your customers?

You do talk some nonsense.

I would be mortified if any of my customers were not happy with my service, without them I don’t have a business 

Just now, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I would be mortified if any of my customers were not happy with my service, without them I don’t have a business 

Yep. Humphrey’s tone is “stuff ‘em, they don’t matter”.

The sport needs an independent body with a blue print plan for the future of the sport, I think most agree on this.

The sport needs to go back to basics and concentrate on the product on offer. We can't afford the top lads so get rid of them for a while, spend the money not on wages but track prep, presentation, advertising and putting on an entertaining evening with fast flowing speedway on a well prepared track with a slick show in between races to keep fans entertained. A consistent fixture list is essential with the only non race night is because the team is away that night for a fixture.

The governing body needs to at first win back the trust of the existing fan base with transparent honesty and then look towards winning back the lost fans base and then and only then can it start to attract a new fan base. Stabilise the current business, work within the existing financial constraints and then start to build for a future..

They have to consolidate what they have first, work as a team and then build, this I doubt will happen..

• Like 2

OF course M&S and others listen to their customers. If they produce a product that their customers don't want they drop or change it.

2 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

No-one is saying you don't aim to please your customers, but when was the last time you sent out a survey to them?

If you're offering a relatively bespoke personalised product/service then you'll probably get specific requests for things which you weigh-up against your costs versus increased value to your business, but that's not practical for a spectator sport. 

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

OF course M&S and others listen to their customers. If they produce a product that their customers don't want they drop or change it.

Yes they do and many big firms will email you a survey after visiting their stores online, when they have your email address.. Costa, BP, Aviva are three surveys I have received in the last two to three weeks. Our local council is always asking for 'feedback' when you visit its website.

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

You're just being obtuse now. My point was that whether customers continue to buy a particular product, is how M&S know if they're doing the right thing. 

They don't send out a survey asking me whether I like product x, y or z or how their shops are laid out. 

Yes but in this case the customers will probably ask for something which cannot be supplied because it can not be afforded.

dear M&S I would like a wool suit, silk shirt and tie but i want to pay £18 max. Do you mind awfully making a huge loss so i can have what i want?

2 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Costa, BP, Aviva are three surveys I have received in the last two to three weeks. 

I use all three of those companies regularly and have never been surveyed. I'd also question how many people actually fill in such surveys, and to what level of accuracy given it's usually to enter a prize draw or something. 

I was for a few years on the lists of market research companies who occasionally called (and paid me) with respect to whether I knew of certain companies or products and/or whether I used them. They might be able to determine patronage based on age and social demographics, but I never got asked why I chose a particular product over another, or why I didn't buy a particular product for example. 

Well, the BSPA doesn’t need to pay a market research company. It has a head start with the Forum and it can see all’s not well, both in attendances and comments.

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I use all three of those companies regularly and have never been surveyed. I'd also question how many people actually fill in such surveys, and to what level of accuracy given it's usually to enter a prize draw or something. 

I was for a few years on the lists of market research companies who occasionally called (and paid me) with respect to whether I knew of certain companies or products and/or whether I used them. They might be able to determine patronage based on age and social demographics, but I never got asked why I chose a particular product over another, or why I didn't buy a particular product for example. 

Costa tends to come and go. There was a time when I had only to pass the door of their coffee shops and I got a survey. Then it went quiet for two years. Back on their radar now - I do collect Costa 'points' on a card, so they have my details. I get the BP surveys, I think, because of my Nectar loyalty card. I am an Aviva customer and just sought a quote - next day a survey turns up.

Two out of three are, I am sure, are connected with loyalty cards.

I have a Tesco card and if I don't shop there for a while, I all of a sudden an inundated with offers/coupons etc.

Maybe speedway needs a loyalty card system.

9 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You're just being obtuse now. My point was that whether customers continue to buy a particular product, is how M&S know if they're doing the right thing. 

They don't send out a survey asking me whether I like product x, y or z or how their shops are laid out. 

https://tellmands.inmoment.com/websurvey/2/execute#/1

Marks & Spencer customer online survey.

A quick check shows Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons all have them. 

While I would absolutely agree that it is a question of sorting the wheat from the chaff, it is ridiculous to suggest that any business should disregard the views of their paying customers.

11 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

https://tellmands.inmoment.com/websurvey/2/execute#/1

Marks & Spencer customer online survey.

A quick check shows Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons all have them. 

While I would absolutely agree that it is a question of sorting the wheat from the chaff, it is ridiculous to suggest that any business should disregard the views of their paying customers.

i really don't think he's saying that to be fair