British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

NO WORD FROM THE BSPA

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE BSPA General Council met on Tuesday at a time when speedway in the UK is in crisis. 

But, as usual, no word from the inner chambers of ACU House in Rugby. We are not allowed to know what they discussed, what plans they have afoot or any decisions made. They have become the ultimate secret society.

And yet they wonder (maybe they don't) why the paying public, on whom they depend, despair and are deserting the sport in their droves. Are they interested in what British fans, those that are left, are prepared to pay to watch?

Couldn't agree more with this or the sentiment of disappointment/being aghast.  T*T$ up is the right phrase I think. shame because it's a great sport and I loved being a part of it.  Oh for a Barry Hearn type figure.  By the way, shame about SS and WH Smith, it's where I get mine as they're at the train station.

Your despair voiced here and in The Star today is totally understandable.

But one thing we all have to face is that they haven't got a clue what to do.

so putting that in a press release would be pretty pointless.

A note handed out by the BSPA saying 'We're all doomed!' would be accurate ... But not tell us anything we don't already know.

• Like 1

MAYBE they could at least tell us what they hope might be the answer and gauge public reaction before it is too late. For what it is worth, one league seems to be firmly on the table.

Swindon promoter Terry Russell makes some really good points in SS this week, especially about CL tracks living off the backs of PL ones.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Couldn't agree more with this or the sentiment of disappointment/being aghast.  T*T$ up is the right phrase I think. shame because it's a great sport and I loved being a part of it.  Oh for a Barry Hearn type figure.  By the way, shame about SS and WH Smith, it's where I get mine as they're at the train station.

EMAIl star@pinegen.co.uk with your address or where you purchase and we will see what alternatives there are. It is a gamble for us but the intransigence of WH Smith towards not only Pinegen but other small publishers is shameful. Ultimately they will suffer and probably help hasten their demise which is already on the cards.

• Like 1

As Nigel Pearson is the official Press Officer of the BSPA would not the SS call him for a Statement  

26 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE BSPA General Council met on Tuesday at a time when speedway in the UK is in crisis. 

But, as usual, no word from the inner chambers of ACU House in Rugby. We are not allowed to know what they discussed, what plans they have afoot or any decisions made. They have become the ultimate secret society.

And yet they wonder (maybe they don't) why the paying public, on whom they depend, despair and are deserting the sport in their droves. Are they interested in what British fans, those that are left, are prepared to pay to watch?

What is the make up of this General Council, do we know who sits on it, how they get to be appointed; who do they report to; what is their mandate.

13 minutes ago, Argos said:

As Nigel Pearson is the official Press Officer of the BSPA would not the SS call him for a Statement  

NIGEL can only put out what the BSPA will agree to ... which amounts to nothing as far as their meetings are concerned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

What is the make up of this General Council, do we know who sits on it, how they get to be appointed; who do they report to; what is their mandate.

ALL licensed promoters of every club can attend a General Council meeting. But not all (BV for example) have a vote. That is denied until the current promotion has held a licence for three years.

11 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NIGEL can only put out what the BSPA will agree to ... which amounts to nothing as far as their meetings are concerned.

You sense that promoters act like a group of spotty teenagers that gather regularly at one of their homes to play the old style tabletop speedway games, doing it purely for self-fulfilment and to have a sense of power, locked in a little bubble that only they know about.

12 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

You sense that promoters act like a group of spotty teenagers that gather regularly at one of their homes to play the old style tabletop speedway games, doing it purely for self-fulfilment and to have a sense of power, locked in a little bubble that only they know about.

That is a good summing of how the last 20 years have been run ( if that is a word that could be applied to what has gone on ). Locked in a little bubble that only they know about AND foolishly they believe they are "doing their best". The SS gets it right this time!

• Like 1

Very disappointed with today's Star. Nowhere near enough hard hitting comment and investigation in to the current crisis. I get that Oakes is an accomplished journalist but he's been on the other side of the fence too much here. Quoting a tweet from a fan as the lead article isn't enough in my opinion 

The way they handled  the Rye House  failure , just shows that as an Association they are clueless , other associations   do all they can to help anyone struggling , not just sit back and say oh dear that's' a shame , still thanks for the bond and the rest of your assets , once we have had a decent share out ourselves we'll see if there's anything left to pay the riders what is owed , 

No announcement probably means no agreement, they are still squabbling about something or other!

Can the routes of the present day crisis be traced back to the time the RAC ceased having any control/interest in the sport?

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MAYBE they could at least tell us what they hope might be the answer and gauge public reaction before it is too late. For what it is worth, one league seems to be firmly on the table.

Unfortunately a 'one league solution' is only ever taken when there is no real alternative. It is, in itself, an indication of there not being any good answer. Not even a least worse. Just the only, quite pitiful one, we can take.

But just as in the nineties it will only shift the problems from one place to another. There won't be enough riders to go round, there will be unbalanced teams, very uncompetitive races between the best and the worst riders and any extra financial burden placed on the lower tier clubs will kill them. 

Perhaps the only route. But not one to salvation.

Edited by Grand Central