British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Jonathan Chapman - It's Your Time

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And as others have pointed out, until speedway promoters really grasp the mire the sport is in and come-up with a completely new approach to how its run (e.g. centrally contracted riders, possibly a common pool of bikes), and work out how to take it back to being a relatively cheap night out that's held at convenient times for the spectators, then I'm afraid it's going to end up nothing more than an amateur sport played out in a few remaining rural tracks in front of friends and family. 

I think a very high percentage of fans see it the same way and have no belief that the BSPA can grasp the state speedway has come to. It is going to end up something like you suggest. Sad but true. No more false "New Dawns " will achieve anything except extinction.

16 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

There have been some good business people with proven sales and marketing skills in Speedway in the last decade but unfortunately were driven out by the win at all costs brigade. They win at all costs mentalitists were never into the long term just who or how hard they could shaft the opposition using everything except 4 laps on a Speedway bike to achieve it.

Spot on..

All to try and win a competition that by the very way it is ran (with teams sharing out lads week in week out and such sharp practice as you allude to),  delivers absolutely zero kudos to the victor...

I've got an idea...

Why dont you spend a fortune trying to desperately win something that by your very actions you end up destroying any achievement in winning?

(And then expect people in their thousands to pay you money to see you do it)...

Couldn't make it up could you?:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

... But what has Jonathan Chapman ever done for Speedway?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, iainb said:

Conversely, what have the fans making suggestions on this thread ever done?

JC did a fair bit for Lynn whilst he was a promoter, the publicity, presentation etc have never been better in my 50+ years following the sport. He also brought about the Super Sevens which many fans thought a step forward. He probably did more but it's too hot to argue:D

I' m not saying he's the best person for the job, or even if he wants it, but to suggest he has done nothing is incorrect. I honestly don't think he has ever done anything to adversely affect the sport. 

17 hours ago, New Science said:

how could any PR company worth its salt do anything with that ?

That's the value of a good PR team.  They understand how to accentuate the positive and minimise the negative.  It's what they do for a living.

I thought the article in the Star was excellent and when Peter Oakes talks about Speedway it's a good time to stop talking and listen. I doubt if there is anybody on here who has seen Speedway from as many angles as Peter and he's a clever bloke as well. He won't have just pulled the name ha suggests out of a hat, he clearly knows the man and thinks he could do a good job (as always that's if he was allowed to). For me that is a good enough recommendation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vince said:

I thought the article in the Star was excellent and when Peter Oakes talks about Speedway it's a good time to stop talking and listen. I doubt if there is anybody on here who has seen Speedway from as many angles as Peter and he's a clever bloke as well. He won't have just pulled the name ha suggests out of a hat, he clearly knows the man and thinks he could do a good job (as always that's if he was allowed to). For me that is a good enough recommendation.

how long  after the appointment would it be .before the secret meetings of the old guard  with their own interests at heart  ?  

anybody who tries  to treat speedway  like a real sport  ,soon falls foul of the old guard , Sandhu .  BMR ,  rick frost ,   next up will be glasgow  mark my words 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, adonis said:

how long  after the appointment would it be .before the secret meetings of the old guard  with their own interests at heart  ?  

anybody who tries  to treat speedway  like a real sport  ,soon falls foul of the old guard , Sandhu .  BMR ,  rick frost ,   next up will be glasgow  mark my words 

Although I dream about one person ( or a small committee ) running UK speedway I cannot see the Old Guard letting control out of their hands. If they could have done, they would have acted 5 years ago. They see no need, as I think they still believe they can turn it around. They would rather see it all crumble than allow someone else to take all the key decisions.

7 hours ago, iainb said:

I think he did quite a bit  to  help Leicester  get going , in fact  I'm sure I heard  at one time he was to be the promoter  , sadly   Hemsley  got his feet under the table ,  and a blank canvas  with a fair old crowd  and potential  to be  great  went to waste 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adonis said:

Maybe even those who have delivered the Sport to where we are have finally, after twenty or so years of nonsense, realised that their operating model, (which as a collective they are 100% responsible for), is boll.... (not very good)...

Or maybe not getting the Sky Money any more to mask the nonsense put in front of the fans for far too long has focused their attention??

Either way, now they may actually start to listen to ideas from 'outsiders', eg the likes of Glasgow and Belle Vue (and of course the fans)...

:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv

I think Mr Chapman is/was a poster on this forum, I am hoping if he sees this thread he will give his own thoughts.

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe even those who have delivered the Sport to where we are have finally, after twenty or so years of nonsense, realised that their operating model, (which as a collective they are 100% responsible for), is boll.... (not very good)...

Or maybe not getting the Sky Money any more to mask the nonsense put in front of the fans for far too long has focused their attention??

Either way, now they may actually start to listen to ideas from 'outsiders', eg the likes of Glasgow and Belle Vue (and of course the fans)...

:rolleyes:

we can only hope , past records don't indicate any reason why we should though 

9 hours ago, Star Lady said:

Conversely, what have the fans making suggestions on this thread ever done?

JC did a fair bit for Lynn whilst he was a promoter, the publicity, presentation etc have never been better in my 50+ years following the sport. He also brought about the Super Sevens which many fans thought a step forward. He probably did more but it's too hot to argue:D

I' m not saying he's the best person for the job, or even if he wants it, but to suggest he has done nothing is incorrect. I honestly don't think he has ever done anything to adversely affect the sport. 

I'm not having a pop at the guy, I just wondered why the op thinks he's going to be the saviour... I remember the super7 series, I'll take your word for the KL promotion... Does he have the respect of many people in the sport... Like Colin Pratt and Peter Oakes for example?

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'm not having a pop at the guy, I just wondered why the op thinks he's going to be the saviour... I remember the super7 series, I'll take your word for the KL promotion... Does he have the respect of many people in the sport... Like Colin Pratt and Peter Oakes for example?

You would have to ask them. 

3 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

You would have to ask them. 

I kind of am:D

• Like 1