British Speedway Forum
Panthers89

Peterborough Panthers vs Sheffield Tigers - 15th July 2018 - League

1 hour ago, Pantherssteward said:

I'm head steward at Peterborough and we have to follow Peterborough council and EOES protocol. We have to have 1 qualified steward to every 250 people. It is not nice having to close both ends of the showground and we have been asking for volunteers all season who would be prepared to do a level 2 NVQ. I can only apologise for the current situation but my hands are tied. 

To clarify this is per 250 seats, not people, so each open section of the stand needs a steward regardless of its occupancy. For example 1000 fans could not be stewarded by four stewards spread equally across the whole grandstand, that would still require eight stewards.

22 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Speedway runs on volunteers and goodwill so I suspect that you know the answer to that.

While the riders continue to bleed the sport dry

• Like 2

What will they do for the play offs then...turn people away?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCorbynFan said:

What does a steward do? 

Can I just stand at the back and watch the racing? I could pass a level 2 NVQ easily. 

Then why don't you apply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iainb said:

While the riders continue to bleed the sport dry

Do they? What's the evidence for that?

29 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Do they? What's the evidence for that?

You don't see many riders retiring early  because of the fat pay cheque's they receive.

9 hours ago, Pantherssteward said:

I'm head steward at Peterborough and we have to follow Peterborough council and EOES protocol. We have to have 1 qualified steward to every 250 people. It is not nice having to close both ends of the showground and we have been asking for volunteers all season who would be prepared to do a level 2 NVQ. I can only apologise for the current situation but my hands are tied. 

I don't mean to have a pop at you, Pantherssteward, or at anybody involved at Panthers, but it just goes to show what a load of bollox this H&S thing is...:rolleyes:

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, JeremyCorbynFan said:

What does a steward do? 

Can I just stand at the back and watch the racing? I could pass a level 2 NVQ easily. 

I honestly  think  NVQ means not very quick in your case and on what level I'm not sure about either.

9 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

To clarify this is per 250 seats, not people, so each open section of the stand needs a steward regardless of its occupancy. For example 1000 fans could not be stewarded by four stewards spread equally across the whole grandstand, that would still require eight stewards.

Just out of curiosity Neil, where do you get that from?  

The reason I ask is because from what I remember of the Green Guide (Govt's official Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds) the relevant section that covered stewarding referred to a typical ratio of one per 250 of the anticipated attendance.  That was merely 'guidance' though; not a legal requirement.  So if Panthers are anticipating a crowd of, say, 1000 they'd need four stewards, i.e. the head-steward chap plus three who are either NVQ level 2 qualified or who are training for it.  And so on.     

That does, of course, beg an interesting question: what sort of attendances are Panthers actually getting?  But I guess that's opening a totally different can of worms - so probably best not to pursue that one ;)   

The Green Guide also acknowledges that the stewarding plan will always vary according the the stadium layout, the sport involved, the profile of the spectators, etc etc.  And it also talks about the need for a risk assessment.  That will obviously take all those factors into consideration. The whole thing was, and is, geared up for sports events that have biggish crowds - primarily football.  Speedway is way down the list in terms of numbers and 'risk' of incidents. And it leaves the door open for a degree of commonsense.  So it leaves me wondering where this latest nonsense comes from.  

The Govt leaves the issuing of the requisite safety certificate to the Local Authority, so the finger points at the H&S bods at the PCC (and, to a lesser extent, at the EoES management).  It was never an issue until those busy f*ckers spotted an opportunity to stick their self-serving oars into it.  I suspect that they're choosing to interpret the Green Guide to suit their own agendas and bollox to commonsense.  

Anyway, I hope that Panthers management aren't simply rolling over without delving a bit deeper into the legislation/guidelines, and possibly challenging the PCC.  

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PE7Panther said:

The reason I ask is because from what I remember of the Green Guide (Govt's official Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds) the relevant section that covered stewarding referred to a typical ratio of one per 250 of the anticipated attendance.  That was merely 'guidance' though; not a legal requirement.  So if Panthers are anticipating a crowd of, say, 1000 they'd need four stewards, i.e. the head-steward chap plus three who are either NVQ level 2 qualified or who are training for it.  And so on.     

That does, of course, beg an interesting question: what sort of attendances are Panthers actually getting?  But I guess that's opening a totally different can of worms - so probably best not to pursue that one ;)   

The Green Guide also acknowledges that the stewarding plan will always vary according the the stadium layout, the sport involved, the profile of the spectators, etc etc.  And it also talks about the need for a risk assessment.  That will obviously take all those factors into consideration. The whole thing was, and is, geared up for sports events that have biggish crowds - primarily football.  Speedway is way down the list in terms of numbers and 'risk' of incidents. And it leaves the door open for a degree of commonsense.  So it leaves me wondering where this latest nonsense comes from.  

The Govt leaves the issuing of the requisite safety certificate to the Local Authority, so the finger points at the H&S bods at the PCC (and, to a lesser extent, at the EoES management).  It was never an issue until those busy f*ckers spotted an opportunity to stick their self-serving oars into it.  I suspect that they're choosing to interpret the Green Guide to suit their own agendas and bollox to commonsense.  

Anyway, I hope that Panthers management aren't simply rolling over without delving a bit deeper into the legislation/guidelines, and possibly challenging the PCC.  

To back this up...

There used to be loads of stewards at the NSS when it first opened...

One stood on every stairwell on the South Side and one stood at every stairwell in the Grandstand..

I would say that there are at least 75% less now....

Crowds have dropped by around 40-50% in that time I would say but the stadium (apart from the west stand of about 200 people) is the same size.. 

If its seats being 'stewarded' then surely there should be the same amount of stewards still covering the Grandstand?

Maybe being a council owned facilty the cost of stewarding the place was reduced as part of the take over by the current promoters?

If so, it would suggest it is indeed more a guideline than an instruction...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PE7Panther said:

I suspect that we could have a guess at where this nonsense comes from, and assuming that the post is correct in its content then I couldn't really see anyone putting that in front of the landlords and saying can we come to a sensible decision based on our business. It's only a couple of years since the standing at the back notice which also seemed a bit sledgehammer to crack a nut although the dire warning was needed I recall to make the punters play ball. The stewards issue is not like that.

Edited by Crump99

18 hours ago, PE7Panther said:

I don't mean to have a pop at you, Pantherssteward, or at anybody involved at Panthers, but it just goes to show what a load of bollox this H&S thing is...:rolleyes:

Yet they are quite content to have fans wandering in front of cars on the way out with no supervision or direction at all.

I was at the head office of a well known high street name today and as I was walking across the car park, someone came scuttling out to tell me I had to stick to the designated walk way as it was too dangerous to walk through the car park. Heaven knows how I've survived this long.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5