British Speedway Forum
allthegearbutnaeidea

Chanpionship Pairs Somerset Friday 20th

Great meeting great result. Lots of good racing on a well prepared track.I think the best two teams met in the final.Really impressed with 20 heats in hour and 20 minutes but then semi final number one was raced 25 minutes later and final at 9.05 .  ? Why ?  The meeting gained momentum then we had to wait 25 minutes in cold damp conditions then another delay before the final.The majority of fans wanting to get to Cardiff so earlier the better to get checked in to hotels.The track prep after 20 heats was done straight away then none before the final.Drawn out meetings annoy most fans especially when your wet and cold.Would it not be possible to start at 6 pm finish around 8 with reasonable time to get to Cardiff.Just an observation.Anyway congratulations to Charlie and Kyle well done lads and thanks for the photos after.

Good meeting on a well prepared track, some really good racing as usual, Schlein and Palm Toft the best riders on the night for me, but it was the right final, two underdogs maybe at the start of the night, but the best pairs on the night. No complaints whatsoever about the racing, track or entertainment.

My only gripe is the annual one for this meeting, the lack of toilets and food and drink outlets throughout the venue. Two portaloos, one ice cream van, one burger van, one drinks van and a small table on the third bend, to serve the back straight and third and fourth bend crowd is ridiculous. People scoffed at giving the 4TT to Redcar, but give them their due, there were toilets, food and drink outlets on every bend, no queues and no races missed as a consequence. 

Somerset know what to expect every year, sadly so do the fans. Still, a good meeting, just part of what is still a great weekend.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Good meeting on a well prepared track, some really good racing as usual, Schlein and Palm Toft the best riders on the night for me, but it was the right final, two underdogs maybe at the start of the night, but the best pairs on the night. No complaints whatsoever about the racing, track or entertainment.

My only gripe is the annual one for this meeting, the lack of toilets and food and drink outlets throughout the venue. Two portaloos, one ice cream van, one burger van, one drinks van and a small table on the third bend, to serve the back straight and third and fourth bend crowd is ridiculous. People scoffed at giving the 4TT to Redcar, but give them their due, there were toilets, food and drink outlets on every bend, no queues and no races missed as a consequence. 

Somerset know what to expect every year, sadly so do the fans. Still, a good meeting, just part of what is still a great weekend.

It was a good meeting and the racing was as you said really exciting and entertaining, you make some good points however that Somerset know only too well what to expect and the facilities provided do not match the expected and usual attendance.

The 20 qualifying heats took about 1 and a quarter hours and yet for some unknown reason the semis and Final took another 45 minutes with a forecast which threatened rain mid evening but which arrived earlier than forecast.

The only other gripe was how long it took to get out of the stadium and car park, the parking was unsupervised and the exit was just a free for all as well.

• Like 1

How was the attendance??

The annual fight with the M6 &5 was lost this year.Absolutely no chance getting there leaving the central belt at 9 am. I suspect others were in same boat and just headed to Cardiff.

Well done the Sheffield Tiggers.

9 hours ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

How was the attendance??

The annual fight with the M6 &5 was lost this year.Absolutely no chance getting there leaving the central belt at 9 am. I suspect others were in same boat and just headed to Cardiff.

Well done the Sheffield Tiggers.

Seemed on a par with previous years maybe slightly less but a reasonable crowd nonetheless.

2 Portaloos on the 2 bend hardly acceptable 

Edited by penchev
  • Like 1

Have not been to Somerset for couple of years, but there was toilets in club house and next to track shop.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Have not been to Somerset for couple of years, but there was toilets in club house and next to track shop.

Still is but a couple of exta ones on each bend isn't enough. Bar was quieter, maybe people are realizing what goes in must come out. :drink::drink::drink::blink:

3 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Still is but a couple of exta ones on each bend isn't enough. Bar was quieter, maybe people are realizing what goes in must come out. :drink::drink::drink::blink:

Except Willie that is lol 

• Haha 2