British Speedway Forum
DC2

Are Poole’s team changes fair?

11 minutes ago, Najjer said:

they should be able to speak up and say what they think. We don't all have clap along with our program boards held aloft because Matt Ford or any other promotor told us to.

We have a new anthem at King's Lynn for that purpose - Clap , Clap, Clap, Clap , Clap , Clap ( Come rain or shine )

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

But what if the rules allowed it? For that matter they could say you can sign any player from any team that has been knocked out. Sweden under Matt Ford could have signed an all star team with Messi and Ronaldo etc, while England could have been Swindon and stuck with their starting team.

Even if the rules allowed it, it doesn’t seem right, does it?

It wouldn't be allowed it is a bad comparison but any team like Real Madrid or Barcelona can buy any player but it is a completely different sport run a completely different way with squads.

A squad system could work in speedway if it was affordable.

15 hours ago, DC2 said:

I think you'll find there's now a plaque with your name on it in the space between Shovlar and Starman.  :)

Oh goodie ..... But I think you've missed the point I was trying to make ..... 

On 7/15/2018 at 11:05 AM, DC2 said:

Poole’s wheelings and dealings now give them a team that would have had a starting average at the beginning of the season of 46.74.

Swindon have been forced to make one change and their team would have been 41.93.

Poole have now used 12 riders. Is it fair to allow a team to make so many changes and to gain a 5 point advantage over what might be temporary losses of form?

Should teams be allowed no more than two tactical changes?

Are Poole's changes fair?  of course not. Are they good for other clubs/U.K. speedway? NO. Are they with-in the rules? YES.  Are they good for Matt Ford & Poole YES of course they are!

• Like 1

Explain why their not fair within the rules every promotor can do the same so their not fair either are they ?

Of course the changes are fair, it’s within the rules!

i think it’s a dangerous precedent to set to limit the amount of maximum changes any team can make, because some teams genuinely have riders with several injury problems, riders out of form and wanting out and several variables including making changes prior to the cut off date for last changes.

limiting to just 2 changes maximum is unfair to teams affected by the above reasons.

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Explain why their not fair within the rules every promotor can do the same so their not fair either are they ?

Not fair because: It favors the "better off clubs" one great thing about G.B. speedway is that (in theory) all clubs should start the season "equal".

CHOPPING & CHANGING RIDERS mid season is one reason for speedways downfall in the last few years, it's not fair to riders, not fair to sponsors of those riders & not fair to fans of those riders.

24 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Not fair because: It favors the "better off clubs" one great thing about G.B. speedway is that (in theory) all clubs should start the season "equal".

CHOPPING & CHANGING RIDERS mid season is one reason for speedways downfall in the last few years, it's not fair to riders, not fair to sponsors of those riders & not fair to fans of those riders.

Every club get/has the same opportunities mate. No argument.

45 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Of course the changes are fair, it’s within the rules!

i think it’s a dangerous precedent to set to limit the amount of maximum changes any team can make, because some teams genuinely have riders with several injury problems, riders out of form and wanting out and several variables including making changes prior to the cut off date for last changes.

limiting to just 2 changes maximum is unfair to teams affected by the above reasons.

I suggested two tactical changes (which include alleged loss of form - Sundstrom was actually improving!). Injury replacements are separate and any number should be allowed provided the riders are out everywhere they ride for more than 28 days.

With the demise of the support the sport once enjoyed , we need to examine the reasons why the attraction is not there anymore.    It was always thought and implemented that all teams were to be as equal as possible, where competition was uppermost in every supporter's mind.  Once a team was originally selected they were usually there for the duration of the season when changes were few and far between.   It created a bond within the team and also generated  a connection with the fans.   This use to be very important and encouraged fans to go each week.   Most riders had fan clubs  where an acknowledgement as he rode round to the start worked wonders for self esteem, both for the rider and the fans..

Going back to the title of the thread, No it is not against the rules of the league, to have many changes  but it sure is against the reasons why the sport was so successful.     Individuals like Matt Ford  has twisted every rule in the book for the benefit of Poole speedway.    Its not for me to judge him  for the damage that has been done,  but  the reason it happened,  and the same reason why it is still happening,   is that BSPA, is made up with people who have  always been wrap up in its own importance, rather than the sport in general...

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

It is fair to riders, sponsors and fans, who all know what happens if they perform below their level. It isn't about better off clubs either, i would think Harris is a cheap alternative to Sundstrom. 

You know what? I reckon the starter of this thread is starting to run scared. All this season he has been taking the P out of Poole’s average first half of the season.

But in recent weeks the Poole team has started to show signs of good form. Topped off last week with an away win at Leicester. We are closing in on a playoff spot and the thread starter realises that Pirates are now a serious threat to the title. And his team’s form has plummeted with away defeat after away defeat.

Harris coming onboard has perhaps given us a bit more. Not a lot by any means. 

But Swindon this season? Should I say it? Gl.....gl......gl.......B)

• Haha 2

The number of people missing the point on this thread is staggering (although it shouldn't be on this forum).

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You know what? I reckon the starter of this thread is starting to run scared. All this season he has been taking the P out of Poole’s average first half of the season.

But in recent weeks the Poole team has started to show signs of good form. Topped off last week with an away win at Leicester. We are closing in on a playoff spot and the thread starter realises that Pirates are now a serious threat to the title. And his team’s form has plummeted with away defeat after away defeat.

Harris coming onboard has perhaps given us a bit more. Not a lot by any means. 

But Swindon this season? Should I say it? Gl.....gl......gl.......B)

One thing for sure is that in a months time you will be above us the way we are going!

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

I suggested two tactical changes (which include alleged loss of form - Sundstrom was actually improving!). Injury replacements are separate and any number should be allowed provided the riders are out everywhere they ride for more than 28 days.

After tonight's drubbing i would suggest you need more than two tactical changes!!

• Like 2