British Speedway Forum
DC2

Are Poole’s team changes fair?

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

With the demise of the support the sport once enjoyed , we need to examine the reasons why the attraction is not there anymore.    It was always thought and implemented that all teams were to be as equal as possible, where competition was uppermost in every supporter's mind.  Once a team was originally selected they were usually there for the duration of the season when changes were few and far between.   It created a bond within the team and also generated  a connection with the fans.   This use to be very important and encouraged fans to go each week.   Most riders had fan clubs  where an acknowledgement as he rode round to the start worked wonders for self esteem, both for the rider and the fans..

Going back to the title of the thread, No it is not against the rules of the league, to have many changes  but it sure is against the reasons why the sport was so successful.     Individuals like Matt Ford  has twisted every rule in the book for the benefit of Poole speedway.    Its not for me to judge him  for the damage that has been done,  but  the reason it happened,  and the same reason why it is still happening,   is that BSPA, is made up with people who have  always been wrap up in its own importance, rather than the sport in general...

Glad to see some people are on the same wavelength.

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Not fair because: It favors the "better off clubs" one great thing about G.B. speedway is that (in theory) all clubs should start the season "equal".

CHOPPING & CHANGING RIDERS mid season is one reason for speedways downfall in the last few years, it's not fair to riders, not fair to sponsors of those riders & not fair to fans of those riders.

What a load of bollocks. Nothing to do with speedways downfall. Speedway is dying because they don't attract new customers. Simple. The sport decided to go down the long and ridiculous path of cutting costs instead of working out how to get more people through the door. This resulted in a drop in the quality of riders and tracks, which resulted in a drop in customers, which resulted in more cost cutting and the circle continues.

Speedway is circling the drain and desperately needs fresh blood. It's nothing to do with Poole replacing bad riders.

Edited by BurntFaceMan
  • Like 2

Why are you trusting a rule speedway is an individual sport wrapped up in a team package.

Let’s say I am a promoter , riders are paid as individuals so if I have a rider who is not performing I don’t pay however I know the fans want the team to win so as they are my income stream I know I have to replace an underperforming rider with another even though I know I will probably be paying more to keep the fans happy I accept that.

now if my attendances are down and most are the only person who is losing out is me.

As a sponsor I want Poole to do well even though I know my money could be spent more beneficially my marketing team keep reminding me that but I love the sport and my team so I put some money in . 

In Matts defence he treats his sponsors well arranges good social events and promotes local businesses , 

Not everything he does do we agree with but his commitment to Poole over the years has seen us do well, ok we have had a few bad moments and well done to the  other teams in their success 

Rather than looking at individual promoters and teams we need to keep as many together if we want the sport to survive , the rivalry’s are great the opinions we all have are our personal views but let’s all agree the sport needs changing and the rules regarding team changes we’ll perhaps we can have a squad system or limits

‘What I do know is every team can make changes most promotions do they have to but I’d still be happy to have a forum to air our views on Matt Ford Poole pirates Swindon robins Belle Vue et al in a couple of years from now as I will still be watching speedway

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

There are a lot of good posters on here, you included but its being ruined by a small minority

Oh the irony!!!

This is sure to split opinions.......many people view Matt Ford as the anti-christ, and many view him as a God.

It's beyond reasonable debate that Matt stretches the rules to the limit in an effort to benefit his team, and I really can't see too much of a problem with that, as that is his job. As a result he is often criticised for gaining an 'unfair advantage' over the other teams, when it can't be unfair as the same rules are there for everyone to either 'exploit' or 'suffer'.

I am of the opinion that if the other promoters had been as 'astute' as Matt over recent years, British Speedway would be in a much stronger position than what it finds itself today!! 

• Like 4

In my opinion the problem with Matt Ford is that he has failed to see the bigger picture and to realise that the long term success of Poole is entirely dependant upon the success of the sport as a whole.

The lack of credibility is one of the major problems responsible for causing many fans to turn their backs on the sport and which has led to much of the main stream media doing the same. Matt Ford by manipulating rules and situations to his own advantage has played a significant role in creating and perpetuating this problem.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Aces51 said:

In my opinion the problem with Matt Ford is that he has failed to see the bigger picture and to realise that the long term success of Poole is entirely dependant upon the success of the sport as a whole.

The lack of credibility is one of the major problems responsible for causing many fans to turn their backs on the sport and which has led to much of the main stream media doing the same. Matt Ford by manipulating rules and situations to his own advantage has played a significant role in creating and perpetuating this problem.

Utter guff. If the other promoters were as capable as Matt Ford the sport would be in a much more healthier position. But it is being continuously dragged down by promoters who don’t have any savvy whatsoever. You can blame those but would rather blame the one promoter who promotes and actually tries to raise the profile.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

2 hours ago, Aces51 said:

What utter junk. Tell me, if you was Sir Alex Ferguson at Man utd, would you have any interest in any other club in the PL except for signing players ? No, thats the true answer if your honest.
As for Matt manipulatng the rules to his own advantage you cannot be further from the truth, all this guff smacks of jealousy because Matt is  several jumps in front of anybody else. And i would love it, love it if we came back and won the league now.
You may have a good track, and ive made my feelings perfectly clear about that. But any other coments are wide of the mark.
Matt doesnt look at this forum, but i know people that do. To all posters, please be careful what you say.. Everybody is entitled to there opinion, but its not what you say, its how you say it.. Be warned..

Edited for spelling

Edited by Starman2006
  • Sad 1

Any owner,promoter , manager has to use the rules as they are that’s it, I expect my accountant to look at my companies figures and get the best reduction he can in my taxes as long as it is legal and will not cause any issues, that’s what I pay him for. No more than a team manager who uses rules to bring in a reserve or make changes to give his team a better chance.

Every promoter and manager who knows the rules will know how to use them for their own advantage this applies to most sports it’s not cheating its using set rules to gain an advantage . You might not like it but all teams use it 

If you change the rules the smarter promotions will look at the new ones and still manipulate them to gain any advantage.

thats knowing your sport  your business or  your rights.

This thread is not about operating within the rules to your advantage, it’s about changing a rule to make the PL fairer and speedway in general better. A limit of two tactical changes would prevent teams from being Johnny Come Latelies and buying the title in August and would encourage continuity of riders and consequent fan loyalty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

This thread is not about operating within the rules to your advantage, it’s about changing a rule to make the PL fairer and speedway in general better. A limit of two tactical changes would prevent teams from being Johnny Come Latelies and buying the title in August and would encourage continuity of riders and consequent fan loyalty.

So every fan on the terraces would want riders who have ridden for their team year in year out but now are off form and scoring poorly!  No need to change he's a nice bloke who has been here years! I think you would find the terraces emptying very quickly, some fans go week in week out whatever but a lot wouldn't go if the team is bottom and doing badly.

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

So every fan on the terraces would want riders who have ridden for their team year in year out but now are off form and scoring poorly!  No need to change he's a nice bloke who has been here years! I think you would find the terraces emptying very quickly, some fans go week in week out whatever but a lot wouldn't go if the team is bottom and doing badly.

Well, you have two tactical changes.

How much worse off would Poole be if they had kept Sundstrom and Shanes?

Sundstrom was improving and Shanes had done his job and had a lot of support from the fans. Look at Shanes at Sheffield; Poole fans could have enjoyed seeing the lad improve and become a cornerstone of Poole teams in the future. There would have been real pleasure in that, wouldn’t there?

Instead, you always resort to short term mercenary opportunists who have no long term future at the club.

• Like 1

1 change 3 changes 15 changes it doesn't  matter everyone rides for every other team multiple times a season anyway. it's a micky mouse competition that has no credibility anymore. might as well have lucky dip at the start of each week to pick riders for teams. semi pro in a few years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Well, you have two tactical changes.

How much worse off would Poole be if they had kept Sundstrom and Shanes?

Sundstrom was improving and Shanes had done his job and had a lot of support from the fans. Look at Shanes at Sheffield; Poole fans could have enjoyed seeing the lad improve and become a cornerstone of Poole teams in the future. There would have been real pleasure in that, wouldn’t there?

Instead, you always resort to short term mercenary opportunists who have no long term future at the club.

Sundstrom wanted to step down. Shanes I agree we could have kept but Neilsen is a much better rider .

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

Sundstrom wanted to step down. Shanes I agree we could have kept but Neilsen is a much better rider .

You really think so?

I suspect Sundstrom would have stayed if Matt had said “Don’t go Linus, you’re improving, the fans are getting behind you and I want you back next year”, instead of “Err ...... hi Linus, have you met Chris?”.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You really think so?

I suspect Sundstrom would have stayed if Matt had said “Don’t go Linus, you’re improving, the fans are getting behind you and I want you back next year”, instead of “Err ...... hi Linus, have you met Chris?”.

Harris is not a step up , he is no better than Linus, it is a like for like, as you say Linus was improving and most fans thought if there were changes it wouldn't be him. So yes I do believe him.