British Speedway Forum
DC2

Are Poole’s team changes fair?

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Utter guff. If the other promoters were as capable as Matt Ford the sport would be in a much more healthier position. But it is being continuously dragged down by promoters who don’t have any savvy whatsoever. You can blame those but would rather blame the one promoter who promotes and actually tries to raise the profile.

This is a thread about Poole so I was commenting about Ford. I have opinions about other promoters, some favourable, some less so but this wasn't the thread to discuss those.

It would seem from your comments that Ford is not the only one in Dorset who it would appear has not been prepared to realise that the sport is in such a perilous position that it is in the interests of everyone to put the well being of the sport ahead of any personal interest.

7 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

What utter junk. Tell me, if you was Sir Alex Ferguson at Man utd, would you have any interest in any other club in the PL except for signing players ? No, thats the true answer if your honest.
As for Matt manipulatng the rules to his own advantage you cannot be further from the truth, all this guff smacks of jealousy because Matt is  several jumps in front of anybody else. And i would love it, love it if we came back and won the league now.
You may have a good track, and ive made my feelings perfectly clear about that. But any other coments are wide of the mark.
Matt doesnt look at this forum, but i know people that do. To all posters, please be careful what you say.. Everybody is entitled to there opinion, but its not what you say, its how you say it.. Be warned..

Edited for spelling

You can't compare football to speedway for many obvious reasons but suffice it to say here that if the Premier football league was in the dire situation of speedway's top league then I think that the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson would be the first to realise that it's no good being successful if a significant number of other clubs are collapsing around you.

I'm not sure if your last paragraph is supposed to be some sort of veiled threat but there is nothing abusive or actionable in my post and I shall continue to express my opinions as I see fit.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

No, I won’t. I don’t want my club to descend to Poole’s level and if they do I will not support such a move.

You mixed up your words DC. Surely you want Swindon to ascend to Pooles level, not descend. Though they are making a very good job of the latter recently.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

This is a thread about Poole so I was commenting about Ford. I have opinions about other promoters, some favourable, some less so but this wasn't the thread to discuss those.

It would seem from your comments that Ford is not the only one in Dorset who it would appear has not been prepared to realise that the sport is in such a perilous position that it is in the interests of everyone to put the well being of the sport ahead of any personal interest.

You can't compare football to speedway for many obvious reasons but suffice it to say here that if the Premier football league was in the dire situation of speedway's top league then I think that the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson would be the first to realise that it's no good being successful if a significant number of other clubs are collapsing around you.

I'm not sure if your last paragraph is supposed to be some sort of veiled threat but there is nothing abusive or actionable in my post and I shall continue to express my opinions as I see fit.

Not really sure what you expect Matt Ford to do. He only has one voice at the agm and is not on the mc. Do you expect him to throw some meetings to give others a chance? And most certainly the Poole team is not expensive looking at the riders.

32 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

If you read my posts elsewhere which clearly you havnt i am very worried about the state of british speedway to lose two PL clubs is two to many Coventry and Rye house, not withstanding Lakeside and Eastie, and as i have also said, this has to be a massive AGM this year and things need to be said and done and im sure even Matt would agree with that.  No, but given the PL is not in a dire straights then i dont think Sir Alex, for example,  would give two hoots about any other club, but no doubt if it was he is certainly a man who would say his twopenethworth im very sure.
Matt ford is a speedway fan first and formost, he is also a businessman but he runs his club how he's see fit, and 9 times out of 10 he's always two steps ahead of everybody else when it comes to signing riders.
No it was not some sort of veiled threat to you or anybody else, but there are some on here who are pushing the boundries a little close to the mark. Now, as i said, Matt does not read this forum nor any other, he doesnt do social media nor i doubt he will start, but i know there are people that do.. As i said, its not what you say its how you say it..
People can say whay they like about Matt, within reason, but no one can take away the fact he's a dam good promoter and 99.9% of poole fans are right behind him to stay at poole as our promoter.

Edited by Starman2006

21 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You mixed up your words DC. Surely you want Swindon to ascend to Pooles level, not descend. Though they are making a very good job of the latter recently.:lol:

I think you’ll find Poole are below us, both in the league table and morally. It is as it will ever be. :)

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I think you’ll find Poole are below us, both in the league table and morally. It is as it will ever be. :)

And Poole will always have many more titles, and make the most of being above us this season, in a few weeks time the picture will be very different.:lol:

13 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

If you read my posts elsewhere which clearly you havnt i am very worried about the state of british speedway to lose two PL clubs is two to many Coventry and Rye house, not withstanding Lakeside and Eastie, and as i have also said, this has to be a massive AGM this year and things need to be said and done and im sure even Matt would agree with that.  No, but given the PL is not in a dire straights then i dont think Sir Alex, for example,  would give two hoots about any other club, but no doubt if it was he is certainly a man who would say his twopenethworth im very sure.
Matt ford is a speedway fan first and formost, he is also a businessman but he runs his club how he's see fit, and 9 times out of 10 he's always two steps ahead of everybody else when it comes to signing riders.
No it was not some sort of veiled threat to you or anybody else, but there are some on here who are pushing the boundries a little close to the mark. Now, as i said, Matt does not read this forum nor any other, he doesnt do social media nor i doubt he will start, but i know there are people that do.. As i said, its not what you say its how you say it..
People can say whay they like about Matt, within reason, but no one can take away the fact he's a dam good promoter and 99.9% of poole fans are right behind him to stay at poole as our promoter.

Come on then tell us. Who is close to the mark and what are they saying that could potentially put them in court?

I also think you are slightly deluded about his ability to sign riders. Last year the changes were awful. And this years starting line up no better. So he isnt the god you think he is. Admittedly there is little to choose from these days in terms of riders wanting to do Britain.

Edited by thecoombdog

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not really sure what you expect Matt Ford to do. He only has one voice at the agm and is not on the mc. Do you expect him to throw some meetings to give others a chance? And most certainly the Poole team is not expensive looking at the riders.

What on earth are you on about. I was talking initially about the lack of credibility in the sport and your immediate thought is to talk about throwing meetings. It's interesting to see what first occurs to you.

If Ford is as respected and able as you seem to think and as a long standing promoter I would expect that he would put forward proposals that were not necessarily of immediate benefit to Poole but which might set the sport on the right road, which would benefit Poole in the long term.

If I were in that position and as you say, only one voice at the AGM, I would make any such proposals public to gather as much support as possible from other promoters, riders, officials and fans. That way he might be able to go to the AGM with as much mass support as possible. A tactic I have used successfully more than once in much larger organisations than the BSPA. A groundswell of opinion for a genuinely good idea is difficult to resist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

What on earth are you on about. I was talking initially about the lack of credibility in the sport and your immediate thought is to talk about throwing meetings. It's interesting to see what first occurs to you.

If Ford is as respected and able as you seem to think and as a long standing promoter I would expect that he would put forward proposals that were not necessarily of immediate benefit to Poole but which might set the sport on the right road, which would benefit Poole in the long term.

If I were in that position and as you say, only one voice at the AGM, I would make any such proposals public to gather as much support as possible from other promoters, riders, officials and fans. That way he might be able to go to the AGM with as much mass support as possible. A tactic I have used successfully more than once in much larger organisations than the BSPA. A groundswell of opinion for a genuinely good idea is difficult to resist.

How on earth do you know Matt Ford doesn’t make regular proposals to improve the state of the sport? For all you know he have made many proposals which have or have not been accepted.

Many of the proposals which come from this forum are quite frankly ridiculous. From not being though through to simply unaffordable. Take the notion that speedway is a ten pound sport. If this was initiated the sport would be bankrupt have way through a season. Even NL teams charge more.

The biggest problem the sport has is the lost generations of fans. Its a blue rinse brigade at every track, with falling attendances due to the fan base litterally dying off. There are very few speedway fans in the 16-35 age group. Get this age group to come out and things will improve. Easier said than done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How on earth do you know Matt Ford doesn’t make regular proposals to improve the state of the sport? For all you know he have made many proposals which have or have not been accepted.

Many of the proposals which come from this forum are quite frankly ridiculous. From not being though through to simply unaffordable. Take the notion that speedway is a ten pound sport. If this was initiated the sport would be bankrupt have way through a season. Even NL teams charge more.

The biggest problem the sport has is the lost generations of fans. Its a blue rinse brigade at every track, with falling attendances due to the fan base litterally dying off. There are very few speedway fans in the 16-35 age group. Get this age group to come out and things will improve. Easier said than done.

I'm 34 now, started going to speedway at Smallmead in 1990. I was one of the youngest then and now.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

And for all you know he may not have suggested anything that would take the sport forward.  If he has made proposals which have been accepted then I am hard pressed to  think of a change in recent years that could claim to have been a success.

I agree with your second and third paragraphs. That is why it is good to see Belle  Vue running a NL team and offering £10 admission and free admission to those under 18. It may or may not work but it is a good attempt to get new fans and younger fans interested in the sport.

13 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

And for all you know he may not have suggested anything that would take the sport forward.  If he has made proposals which have been accepted then I am hard pressed to  think of a change in recent years that could claim to have been a success.

I think Matt has suggested a lot to try and take the sport forward, and not just for his own ends, before somebody suggests that. Thats why as ive said many times this years AGM has to be rock solid. But it has to be a collective decision, otherwise we could find speedway in this country in dire trouble. And i dont think any of us want that.
We are only the fans, but no fans no speedway, but many of the promoters have to realise its there livelyhood on the line now. This year its now or never.

just proves how popular Poole are, a stupid thread like this, and were up to over 2,200 views already

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

just proves how popular Poole are, a stupid thread like this, and were up to over 2,200 views already

make that 6,300

• Like 1

And blah...

• Like 1