British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bradford Hawk

Cardiff GP 21Jul 2018 - parking

First time attendee - any useful tips, please, especially where to park (ease and availability more important than cost) and when's the scheduled finish time?

Many thanks.

8 hours ago, Bradford Hawk said:

First time attendee - any useful tips, please, especially where to park (ease and availability more important than cost) and when's the scheduled finish time?

Many thanks.

If driving, in the past I have come off the A49/M4 Junction 24  the Newport turn off and then proceeded to park up in Newport railway station car park, and catch a train to Cardiff from there, the fee is quite small compared to parking in Cardiff itself, plus there are plenty of trains back to Newport at that time of night, expect the meeting to finish around 8 to 8-30pm.

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen, much appreciated - I'd wondered about trains from nearby but potential finish time (eg perhaps too late for last train) and ignorance of local geog / best neighbouring station / would Newport be as clogged Cardiff etc made web-research of limited use, whereas your experience is spot-on. Thanks again. #speedwayfamily

Guest GiveusaB

I've done same thing on a number of occasions and I would just point out that the queues are quite long for trains going back to Newport straight after the meeting?

So, it's best to get there pretty sharpish after last race, or if you like to watch the presentation/finale etc....you might want to kill an hour after that, before heading back to the station.

The trains run quite late in to Newport. (obviously you can find exact times on trainline etc...)

X

On 7/15/2018 at 9:50 PM, Noodles said:

Yeah....having read this post for parking, there's no mention for parking a motorbike, strange that when you consider what they ride on the track, I would have thought ther would be a place for bikers, or don't we matter anymore?

Parking was a complete chaos for an exceptional amount of day trippers arriving by car on Saturday. 

Cardiff City Council in their wisdom have changed the car park I use by the police station from ALL DAY to 5-hours maximum with no return in 3-hours.
All the streets around the area were also reserved for pre-booked visitors, something that's never happened before, and I still can't find anything on the internet offering such a facility.
Even coach drivers were left dumbfounded by what they found, so don't know how they got round that.

After going round in circles for I would think about 90-minutes, one poor couple who had come from Manchester, were in tears saying they would have to lose their money and return home.

People like unofficial traders didn't give a hoot if they got fined £50 for exceeding the time limit, as I heard one of the say that they only needed to sell five flags to cover that penalty. 

I've been to every GP at Cardiff, but will never go to another one.  Newport or P&R isn't an option for my wife who can't walk to far with double lung cancer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest compost

Probably not much help as you say you won't be going again but -

We used www.parkjockey.com when we saw a concert at the Millennim stadium earlier this year (and they stated they were taking bookings for the GP).

Also NCP take pre-bookings.

The best one, no use to you sadly, is the leckwith P&R (at the football ground).

47 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Parking was a complete chaos for an exceptional amount of day trippers arriving by car on Saturday. 

Cardiff City Council in their wisdom have changed the car park I use by the police station from ALL DAY to 5-hours maximum with no return in 3-hours.
All the streets around the area were also reserved for pre-booked visitors, something that's never happened before, and I still can't find anything on the internet offering such a facility.
Even coach drivers were left dumbfounded by what they found, so don't know how they got round that.

After going round in circles for I would think about 90-minutes, one poor couple who had come from Manchester, were in tears saying they would have to lose their money and return home.

People like unofficial traders didn't give a hoot if they got fined £50 for exceeding the time limit, as I heard one of the say that they only needed to sell five flags to cover that penalty. 

I've been to every GP at Cardiff, but will never go to another one.  Newport or P&R isn't an option for my wife who can't walk to far with double lung cancer.

A number of Disabled Car Parking spaces are available and can be reserved by prior arrangement with the Stadium management. Allocation of passes for these spaces will be addressed on an event-by-event basis. For more information please telephone 029 2082 2427or alternatively e-mail access@wru.co.uk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, compost said:

Probably not much help as you say you won't be going again but -

We used www.parkjockey.com when we saw a concert at the Millennim stadium earlier this year (and they stated they were taking bookings for the GP).

Also NCP take pre-bookings.

The best one, no use to you sadly, is the leckwith P&R (at the football ground).

Used the park.jockey site and reserved a space at the Civic Centre. So easy and simple for just £12 was quite good value too I thought. Quickly back on the road afterwards and with no hold ups was back in Bridgwater in about an hour. Will definitely use that again next time.

• Like 2

We parked in Sophia Gardens but were there by 10am and it appeared nearly full by then if we go again we will look at the pre booking a spot option as getting there so early this year made it a really long and tiring day.

22 hours ago, drew2 said:

Used the park.jockey site and reserved a space at the Civic Centre. So easy and simple for just £12 was quite good value too I thought. Quickly back on the road afterwards and with no hold ups was back in Bridgwater in about an hour. Will definitely use that again next time.

So did we, easy to get to from newport and back, i think we got there 10.30 and hardly any cars there and the fan zone is at the end

• Like 1