British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tapeworm

Away points won minus home points lost - an update

2 hours ago, scaramanga said:

if im not wrong Armadale is a Friday only track just like Berwick is Saturdays  only with only 3 Wednesdays allowed for off nights 

unless of coarse sky want to pay a visit then they can manage a Monday night  like has happened in the past

Believe you are wrong, given the following  meetings run at the Dale in recent times:-

Saturday 1/8/2015 vs Redcar (KO Cup)

Saturday 17/10/15 vs Glasgow (Premier Champ Final)

Saturday 25/10/14 vs Somerset (Premier Champ Final)

Certainly there have been several meetings since we opened at the Dale that have been run there on a day other than a Friday.

Perhaps you can quote your source, as it appears you have been the victim of fake news:rolleyes:

Edited by cyclone

22 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Hilarious.....:rofl: you haven't got a bloody clue !! 

In what way .............. 

which one of the 5 comments were wrong ?  ............  perhaps it is you that is clueless :D     

if you cant say anything sensible then don't bother ..........

Edited by mauger65
  • Like 1

On 4 September 2018 at 12:41 PM, mauger65 said:

Just the typical farcical end to the cut off as happens every year...............

Quite incredible ............. the warmest driest summer in history .............  and everyone only had to arrange 10 home meetings to arrange ...........  frankly there are no excuses for anyone not completing by the 16th

And actually I think it would be the best thing for the sport if a team doesn't get into the playoffs due to its inability to complete them in time......

The cut off date should be clearly stated at the beginning of the season and stuck too only exception if its a wet summer and there are many rain offs ......

geez the league cup semi's haven't been done ......... and the 1st round of the knock out cup still not completed

why promoters want to race in freezing October with lights on .....  as opposed to the summer in the daylight is beyond me ...... well done Berwick for completing their league during August

Totally agree.luckily at Sheffield we've had steadys testimonial ,British semi and CLRC to drag our season out.I find it farcical that tracks struggle to arrange 10 fixtures.Most Thursdays we've had no fixtures have been dry.At least it's not a problem this year for us but it leaves us with a long winter.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:41 PM, mauger65 said:

Just the typical farcical end to the cut off as happens every year...............

Quite incredible ............. the warmest driest summer in history .............  and everyone only had to arrange 10 home meetings to arrange ...........  frankly there are no excuses for anyone not completing by the 16th

And actually I think it would be the best thing for the sport if a team doesn't get into the playoffs due to its inability to complete them in time......

The cut off date should be clearly stated at the beginning of the season and stuck too only exception if its a wet summer and there are many rain offs ......

geez the league cup semi's haven't been done ......... and the 1st round of the knock out cup still not completed

why promoters want to race in freezing October with lights on .....  as opposed to the summer in the daylight is beyond me ...... well done Berwick for completing their league during August

On 9/5/2018 at 12:52 PM, mauger65 said:

The diamonds in 2011 (I think) won 3 cups in October with the KOC being won on October 31st  - and if it had rained that night .. there would have been no winner ..... in fact the diamonds were lucky they could ride 5 rides at home in October

However, speedway does itself no favour by bending the rules .............  no other professional sport extends a deadline to its league

Riders are meant to be available to ride in this league....  if they cant .. they shouldn't agree to ride in the league or the teams employing them should suffer

and Workington I have the least sympathy for .... by the end of June they had raced 2 home meetings ?????

It will happen one season ...........the playoffs (or the KOC) will be washed out in a rainy October  ............  the cut -off date should have stayed at 9th Sept ..... no team had an excuse for not completing the 10 home meetings

1 hour ago, mauger65 said:

which one of the 5 comments were wrong ?  ............  perhaps it is you that is clueless :D     

Honestly

Bear with me on this and it's not that I disagree with you however there are numerous mitigating facts and circumstances to this fixture fiasco. 

The whole idea of the reduced number of fixtures was to save promotions money, it was also to give promotions a chance to run one Home meeting one week and an Away fixture the next. The reference was home/away fixtures work in other sports especially football. However what I don't think was fully appreciated is other sports tend to have squads or pools of participants/players that they can call upon, football teams have large squads of players so teams can readily bring in a replacement for anyone injured or unavailable. Speedway in this country does not operate in this manner (although it does in Poland with squads) and when riders are not available there is a clear dislike for teams to run with a Guest or Rider Replacement for unavailable/missing riders by promotions and fans alike (unless there is a serious injury then people tend to accept these facilities more readily, which I have never really understood) However Poland has had a major impact for all the reasons outlined in other parts of this forum which I wont go over again here and although it might not seem like it there was a valid reason and some methodology for the approach taken (its your call as to whether you think it has worked or not, I know mine).

When organising meetings at the start of the season the majority of the promotions met in Rugby before the season kicked off to organise their own fixtures and sort out who they would ride against and when. (in previous years it was left to one promotion to sort out the fixtures and this left some promotions unhappy). So for Workington Steve Whitehead took himself down to Rugby to arrange all of his clubs fixtures. Steve had to avoid 3 Saturdays due to the stadium being used for two music events and one Rugby League event. He was approached by other promotions who gave him their preferred option on when they would like to come to Derwent Park, he did not have to twist any arms up backs to force anyone to attend when they didn't want to; and ended up with 6 or 8 Fridays (cant remember the exact figure now) rather than Saturdays to run meetings which included the 3 forced changes, Workington were under the opinion that everyone was happy and had been accommodated on nights of their choice and Workington were happy.

It was then decreed that Workington could not run on Fridays due to a shortage of riders and the bulk of their fixture list had to be rearranged and this is where the problems started as clubs who had happily arranged Fridays were now reluctant to come on Saturdays as some of their riders would not be available due to other commitments and they were not prepared to race without a full compliment of riders, so that left Workington in the lurch and after they had been forced to used Dale Lamb up at Glasgow due to a lack of riders on Glasgow's preferred Friday night; was a bit rich. Although Glasgow hadn't done anything wrong it just happened that Dale was the only rider available, but did it devalue the result any or rob the fans of any entertainment that night? 

Consequently other clubs whose official race night was Friday who had also had issues obtaining guests expressed there frustration and clubs whose race nights were not Fridays had all there second race day meetings pulled (Workington were not the only ones impacted by this decision). So Workington not being able to run the mutually arranged Fridays and the reluctance of some promotions to agree new fixture ended up in Workington having run only 2 home fixtures by the end of June. The dreaded Double Up/Down riders and Poland were the main issue I believe and of course rider availability, so not really the race night again in my view.

As for anyone hoping that clubs miss a Play Off series due to not having the correct amount of fixtures need to remember that this has already happened to a certain extent. Workington have been in the position where due to the weather they were denied the opportunity to get to the play off final. In 2012 the year Newcastle were top of the league and  Scunthorpe won the Play Off, Workington did not fulfil their final away fixture against Edinburgh. A meeting they may or may not have won however Scunthorpe who had their full quota of matches run; went through to the final against Somerset; and the rest as they say was history, however to me it devalues the whole process and that doesn't happen in any other sport either. Personally I would much prefer to see teams in finals who are there on merit. What's the glory if Kings Lynn beat Belle Vue only for the Somerset/Poole meetings to be washed out from now to the end of the season? Do Kings Lynn say they are play off Champions? Probably yes but again me personally I would run until December if needs be to get to the final outcome.

There are always exceptions in any sport (more so in Speedway) but a rigid cut off date that means a team that could possibly end up in the bottom half of the table going to the play offs honestly can not be right, is it?

Surely?

Regards
THJ

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mauger65 said:

Take a long hard look at THJ's post ....might clarify a few things for you know it all's :rolleyes:

The cut-off's should be when ALL teams have completed ALL fixtures to give a true and fair picture how the the League finished as a whole. So you would be happy if Newcastle didn't get their fixtures in , yet if they had have done could have made the play-offs :blink: I'm almost certain if Scunny had any chance of getting there with their last fixtures , the God of BSPA would have stretched the cut-off date to suit !!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, cyclone said:

Believe you are wrong, given the following  meetings run at the Dale in recent times:-

Saturday 1/8/2015 vs Redcar (KO Cup)

Saturday 17/10/15 vs Glasgow (Premier Champ Final)

Saturday 25/10/14 vs Somerset (Premier Champ Final)

Certainly there have been several meetings since we opened at the Dale that have been run there on a day other than a Friday.

Perhaps you can quote your source, as it appears you have been the victim of fake news:rolleyes:

as most things in speedway 

when it suits

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scaramanga said:

as most things in speedway 

when it suits

In other words, it suited you to just to make it up :wink:

• Haha 1

Bit touchy are you 

Only repeating what I read a while back when a team wanted to a range a fixture 

We all now how things change in speedway 

1 hour ago, scaramanga said:

Bit touchy are you 

Only repeating what I read a while back when a team wanted to a range a fixture 

We all now how things change in speedway 

Wouldn't worry about it he likes to try and ridicule anything he latches on to.

Its not like he hasn't made anything up on here regarding Glasgow & an ex rider. 

• Like 1

If  Worky  make  it  all  the  way  in  all  3  competitions......they have  11  more  home  fixtures  to  organise  , and  if  they  don`t then  at  least  8   I reckon.

Looks  like  plenty  of  double  headers  to  come  depending  on rain.

Geeeezzz

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, Taylorj said:

Take a long hard look at THJ's post ....might clarify a few things for you know it all's :rolleyes:

The cut-off's should be when ALL teams have completed ALL fixtures to give a true and fair picture how the the League finished as a whole. So you would be happy if Newcastle didn't get their fixtures in , yet if they had have done could have made the play-offs :blink: I'm almost certain if Scunny had any chance of getting there with their last fixtures , the God of BSPA would have stretched the cut-off date to suit !!!

would I be happy …. of course not 

but that's not the issue …. self interest is the problem with speedway at the moment

with regards to THJ post … well it just reflects the problems the sport faces esp when using so many foreign riders...…….. and Workington were happily gonna turn up with a very weakened team at Newcastle with NL guests.... hmmmmm 

the league never sticks to its cut off date …………  its a joke …. for a so called professional sport.... the ENTIRE LEAGUE had from Dec to Feb to get all the fixtures arranged before September ………..  its an utter joke that this was not achieved ………  again no other sport but speedway allows this …………..  even amateur sunday morning football leagues have the fixtures listed before they start

and Workington (who  have a very good team) could have 9 meetings …. in 7 weekends...…….  in the wettest part of Britain...……  mmmm you going to extend the end of the season past 31st October...………  fingers crossed for a dry September/October

You're just the hump cos i said Workington...… its not personnel they are just the worst offenders ……… only Berwick have completed their home programme on time !!

Edited by mauger65
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

would I be happy …. of course not 

but that's not the issue …. self interest is the problem with speedway at the moment

with regards to THJ post … well it just reflects the problems the sport faces esp when using so many foreign riders...…….. and Workington were happily gonna turn up with a very weakened team at Newcastle with NL guests.... hmmmmm 

the league never sticks to its cut off date …………  its a joke …. for a so called professional sport.... the ENTIRE LEAGUE had from Dec to Feb to get all the fixtures arranged before September ………..  its an utter joke that this was not achieved ………  again no other sport but speedway allows this …………..  even amateur sunday morning football leagues have the fixtures listed before they start

and Workington (who  have a very good team) could have 9 meetings …. in 7 weekends...…….  in the wettest part of Britain...……  mmmm you going to extend the end of the season past 31st October...………  fingers crossed for a dry September/October

You're just the hump cos i said Workington...… its not personnel they are just the worst offenders ……… only Berwick have completed their home programme on time !!

Absolute  rubbish, check the league table to see who has completed there home fixtures on time before making false statements  .

• Like 1

apologies … peterboro,, redcar,, Sheffield and scunny have done so ………………..  although im not sure what the official cut off was as I don't recall seeing a notification. …… rumoured 9th extended to 16th ……………  but apologies :D

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

apologies … peterboro,, redcar,, Sheffield and scunny have done so ………………..  although im not sure what the official cut off was as I don't recall seeing a notification. …… rumoured 9th extended to 16th ……………  but apologies :D

Apologies accepted 9 th was the original cut off date now extended to 16th , if all matches go to plan up to the 16th there will be 3 outstanding league matches that will miss the cut off date and unless they are re-arranged to take place within the next 7 days, not sure what is planned should they miss the cut off date. The matches concerned are  Ipswich  v Berwick  which was abandoned last Thursday  , Lakeside   v Peterborough and Workington   v Lakeside.

SGB website has Ipswich vs Berwick on 15/9