British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tapeworm

Away points won minus home points lost - an update

As at Sunday 9th September, also showing remaining fixtures and dates where announced:-

1  Workington +12      - Pet(H) 14th, New(A) 16th, Lak(H) TBA 
2= Peterborough +11 - Wor(A) 14th, Lak(A) 15th.
2= Lakeside +11         - Gla(H) 14th, New(H) 15th, Pet(H) 15th, Wor(A) TBA 
4   Edinburgh +8         - Gla(A) 11th, Ber(H) 14th.
5   Ipswich +7             - Gla(H) 13th, Ber(H) 15th.
6   Glasgow +6           - Edi(H) 11th, Ips(A) 13th, Lak(A) 14th.
7  Berwick +1              - Edi(A) 14th, Ips(A) 15th.
8= Newcastle -3         - Lak(A) 15th, Wor(H) 16th.
8= Scunthorpe -3       - Completed
10 Redcar -6               - Completed
11 Sheffield -13          - Completed    
E&OE

Still plenty of permutations for top 4 for play offs.............. especially if bad weather causes loss of 3 home points per call off......... or critical missing injured riders weaken teams.......... or difficulty in finding guests during a very crowded residual period.  Nobody, of course, would want rain offs to determine the outcome, would they?

If any team miss out due to not getting there home fixtures completed would be criminal , teams have went weeks without home fixtures in the warmest summer in a number of years yet here we are with only 10 fixtures to arrange and they are trying to cram in as many pre deadline.

Any team missing out can have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gazc said:

If any team miss out due to not getting there home fixtures completed would be criminal , teams have went weeks without home fixtures in the warmest summer in a number of years yet here we are with only 10 fixtures to arrange and they are trying to cram in as many pre deadline.

Any team missing out can have nobody to blame but themselves.

Fully agree in normal circumstances, and being a Workington fan it could quite easily apply to my team.

The only outstanding fixture to be arranged in the whole league is the Workington v Lakeside one. As we all know this was abandoned when Dan Bewley was injured on August 25th. (Originally planned for Friday August 17th but pulled from the fixture list)

Of course blame is easy to dish out, but it may be the away side that have refused to come, leaving the home side without any chance of staging the meeting.

I know it isn't easy at all re-arranging fixtures, but with play-off places at stake, I wonder if Lakeside were offered any alternative dates ( Sept 8th for example, seeing as they were already at Edinburgh on the 7th), as part of a double header, thus moving the Redcar fixture to Sept 15th.

If Workington have offered any dates to Lakeside and they have refused to come, then blame can't entirely be put at Workington's door, but if they haven't been offered any,  and Workington do fail to qualify for the play-offs, then your statement will hold some truth I suppose.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yellow and black said:

Fully agree in normal circumstances, and being a Workington fan it could quite easily apply to my team.

The only outstanding fixture to be arranged in the whole league is the Workington v Lakeside one. As we all know this was abandoned when Dan Bewley was injured on August 25th. (Originally planned for Friday August 17th but pulled from the fixture list)

Of course blame is easy to dish out, but it may be the away side that have refused to come, leaving the home side without any chance of staging the meeting.

I know it isn't easy at all re-arranging fixtures, but with play-off places at stake, I wonder if Lakeside were offered any alternative dates ( Sept 8th for example, seeing as they were already at Edinburgh on the 7th), as part of a double header, thus moving the Redcar fixture to Sept 15th.

If Workington have offered any dates to Lakeside and they have refused to come, then blame can't entirely be put at Workington's door, but if they haven't been offered any,  and Workington do fail to qualify for the play-offs, then your statement will hold some truth I suppose.

it would be a bit crazy if either one of these teams , workington or leakside need a point or two to get themselves into the top 4 for the playoffs.  and neither clubs have got together and tried to sort something out . maybe its a fast one from the workington club NOT to race the meeting before the cut off date ! points gained will not count .

in an even bigger twist , will peterborough lay down and gift workington the points to put worky in a strong position .therefore in theory , pushing down the clubs below the top 2 further down . 

glasgow . edinburgh need wins  to keep leakside in a non qualification position . a draw would be ideal for workington , i think .

all will be revealed in the next few days . excited , you bet .

Edited by jenga

28 minutes ago, jenga said:

it would be a bit crazy if either one of these teams , workington or leakside need a point or two to get themselves into the top 4 for the playoffs.  and neither clubs have got together and tried to sort something out . maybe its a fast one from the workington club NOT to race the meeting before the cut off date ! points gained will not count .

in an even bigger twist , will peterborough lay down and gift workington the points to put worky in a strong position .therefore in theory , pushing down the clubs below the top 2 further down . 

glasgow . edinburgh need wins  to keep leakside in a non qualification position . a draw would be ideal for workington , i think .

all will be revealed in the next few days . excited , you bet .

Additionally, the Workington v Lakeside meeting could well have given Workington a chance to to finish top, and of course have the choice of opponents in the Semi-Final.

No-one will fancy Edinburgh in the Semi, so finishing top is a prize well worth fighting for. 

Edinburgh could well finish top themselves of course due to the failure to agree a date for this fixture.

As far as apportioning "Blame " to the failure I guess we will never know whether Workington offered any dates or not, especially if they didn't!

It could be a "Fast-One" from either club, depending on how you look at things lol!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yellow and black said:

Additionally, the Workington v Lakeside meeting could well have given Workington a chance to to finish top, and of course have the choice of opponents in the Semi-Final.

No-one will fancy Edinburgh in the Semi, so finishing top is a prize well worth fighting for. 

Edinburgh could well finish top themselves of course due to the failure to agree a date for this fixture.

As far as apportioning "Blame " to the failure I guess we will never know whether Workington offered any dates or not, especially if they didn't!

It could be a "Fast-One" from either club, depending on how you look at things lol!  

It will be a shame if any team fails to qualify for the top 4 in those circumstances, and one wonders have those teams concerned really put in enough effort to make sure that this fixture is completed.

i am sure when workington was going through a barren spell of no  fixtures it was announced over th P.A. that the management had tried to get teams @ worky , but there were no takers. the season had been planned out and most , if not all teams were sticking with the fixtures they agreed  to  @ the start of the season . so with  world cups. Cardiff GP .and other Saturday stuff going on @ Derwent park. the options were very limited .

almost forgot the godders factor , yea , thanks a lot mr Godfrey . you certainly sTICHED  up a good few Friday fixtures for other teams . just because you could not get guest riders  .

all that power in your hands and you f!!!!! ! it up .

• Like 2

I’ve seen the posts by Scottish fans that Glasgow will make the play offs but Edinburgh won’t, but I’m not convinced - though I might be missing something. 

If Edinburgh beat Berwick tonight, then they’ll have 38 points. Lakeside have three meetings planned for today and tomorrow and have to win all three to be ahead of Edinburgh. Although these are “Home” meetings, two are at Rye House which has to be thought of as neutral ground, and one of these is against the league leaders, Peterborough. 

All could change depending on Workington who will secure a play off spot if they win tonight. And who do they meet? Peterborough!!

A Workington win tonight with Lakeside losing one of their home meetings would give Workington 39 points and Edinburgh and Lakeside each on 38.

It would then come down to points difference which seems currently to be Edinburgh +125 and Lakeside +89. 

Mr Blobby shouldn’t put his Jimmy hat away just yet

Edited by Wee Eck

23 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I’ve seen the posts by Scottish fans that Glasgow will make the play offs but Edinburgh won’t, but I’m not convinced - though I might be missing something. 

If Edinburgh beat Berwick tonight, then they’ll have 38 points. Lakeside have three meetings planned for today and tomorrow and have to win all three to be ahead of Edinburgh. Although these are “Home” meetings, two are at Rye House which has to be thought of as neutral ground, and one of these is against the league leaders, Peterborough. 

All could change depending on Workington who will secure a play off spot if they win tonight. And who do they meet? Peterborough!!

A Workington win tonight with Lakeside losing one of their home meetings would give Workington 39 points and Edinburgh and Lakeside each on 38.

It would then come down to points difference which seems currently to be Edinburgh +125 and Lakeside +89. 

Inter city banter, but you are correct they are not out of it yet albeit it is not in there own hands it is still possible for them.

14 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Inter city banter, but you are correct they are not out of it yet albeit it is not in there own hands it is still possible for them.

Glasgow won 49-41 at Ipswich last night.

5 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Glasgow won 49-41 at Ipswich last night.

Was talking about Edinburgh ?.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Fingers crossed we get the meeting on tonight,really need the weather to play ball, we are also away to Newcastle on Sunday. A win tonight we would sit on 39 anything we could get on Sunday could push us further with 4 point away taking us to 43 ...still all to play for 

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Was talking about Edinburgh ?.

Who are now in 5th place on +/- 2 points behind Glasgow with both having just one match left.

Effectively Boro could choose who they would prefer to be in the play off by manufacturing results to suit.....

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Who are now in 5th place on +/- 2 points behind Glasgow with both having just one match left.

Edinburgh are 5 points behind Glasgow with 1match each to ride.