British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRacer2017

19/07/2018 : Swindon v Somerset : Premiership

Never mind DC, perhaps it’s time to start the Swindon 2019 thread. Looks like it’s business as usual at Chez Blunsdon after the fortuitous blip of 17. B)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Never mind DC, perhaps it’s time to start the Swindon 2019 thread. Looks like it’s business as usual at Chez Blunsdon after the fortuitous blip of 17. B)

No worries here, Steve. Sport is just sport and if you’re not good enough you don’t win.

However I am pleased that Swindon have done it the right way this year, keeping faith with their original seven (barring the injury replacement) rather than desperately scouring the globe to cobble together a ragbag of mercenaries who have nothing to do with the club in a vain attempt to seek a veneer of “glory”. 

It wouldn’t really be glory if “the Poole select” win it this year, would it? It would be a polish of turds!  :)

16 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No worries here, Steve. Sport is just sport and if you’re not good enough you don’t win.

However I am pleased that Swindon have done it the right way this year, keeping faith with their original seven (barring the injury replacement) rather than desperately scouring the globe to cobble together a ragbag of mercenaries who have nothing to do with the club in a vain attempt to seek a veneer of “glory”. 

It wouldn’t really be glory if “the Poole select” win it this year, would it? It would be a polish of turds!  :)

DC i so wanted Birmingham to win the league when they kept the  same 1/7 when Smolinski started at reserve.Be great if a rule was brought in that apart from injury you keep the original starting line up its makes a mockery when the likes of  Pawlicki and Hancock come in for the last month or so to push for a playoff win.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

DC i so wanted Birmingham to win the league when they kept the  same 1/7 when Smolinski started at reserve.Be great if a rule was brought in that apart from injury you keep the original starting line up its makes a mockery when the likes of  Pawlicki and Hancock come in for the last month or so to push for a playoff win.

Spot on, Sidney. Some clubs try to buy the title every year by bringing in ringers.

2 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Another good result for the Rebels, is there a more improved rider in the Premier than Jack Holder?. 

Still a long way to go but everyone’s favourite team to be bottom are currently comfortably top, a tremendous achievement. Well done everyone down at the OTA, looking forward to seeing my friends down there tonight at the Pairs.

Lynn were everybody's favourites to finish bottom but yes, you guys are definitely exceeding most expectations. Fair play.

God crowd. Terrible racing. It’s been absolutely awful this year. 

You know it’s bad when you see Morris slowing down Aarnio to try and get Ellis through, but Ellis can’t find anything anywhere to even get close to passing.

Trouble is with all the doubt over the future of the track and stadium, I can’t imagine that the club will be spending any money on the track at all. It suffers awfully for it.

well done to Somerset for beating what was in front of them, but I thought their middle order was bang average. It was only Aarnio’s heroics (who i wouldn’t mind seeing as a temp replacement for Bellego if it was needed) that spared them from the blushes of not putting away a team which had reserves not beating an opponent out in 10 of the 15 heats!

Hilarious seeing all the hindsight heroes having a moan about what should have been done about the team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

P**spoor stuff tonight definitely giving Monday a miss you know the 69th anniversary! Dreadful track hopeless racing embarrassing reserves against a Somerset side that didn’t exactly convince either neither will be anywhere near winning the playoffs and at this rate Swindon won’t even make them 

Well considering we now sit 5 points clear with a meeting in hand I say we look pretty good. Haven't lost in seven meetings whilst having a heat leader scoring just 1 in two meetings. Beaten Wolves at Monmore and ride BV well. That doesn't look to me a side that won't be anywhere near winning the playoffs. Not saying we will though. 

I see the troll from Reading is still posting crap, just like the riders it stated would be riding for Swindon where the prog had the right riders listed .

Edited by A ORLOV

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

However I am pleased that Swindon have done it the right way this year, keeping faith with their original seven (barring the injury replacement) 

Hate to break this to you DC but Swindon have certainly not done it “the right way”. If they don’t make replacements they have done it exactly “the wrong way”. Because making changes for riders who are not performing is an essential part of the sport. It keeps the winning mentality and puts pressure on riders to maintain or improve or they are the next to go.

Successful clubs have always done this. Why do you think Poole have won so much in the last 15 years? 

But I like this idea of Swindon keeping the faith with the original seven. Long may they continue to do so.:cheers:

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Just for the record, Poole have 4 (soon to be 5) of their own assets in their 1-7.

16 minutes ago, Speedy swindon pete said:

God crowd. Terrible racing. It’s been absolutely awful this year. 

You know it’s bad when you see Morris slowing down Aarnio to try and get Ellis through, but Ellis can’t find anything anywhere to even get close to passing.

Trouble is with all the doubt over the future of the track and stadium, I can’t imagine that the club will be spending any money on the track at all. It suffers awfully for it.

well done to Somerset for beating what was in front of them, but I thought their middle order was bang average. It was only Aarnio’s heroics (who i wouldn’t mind seeing as a temp replacement for Bellego if it was needed) that spared them from the blushes of not putting away a team which had reserves not beating an opponent out in 10 of the 15 heats!

Hilarious seeing all the hindsight heroes having a moan about what should have been done about the team.

Aarnio beat Lindgren last year when guesting for Robins, would be a good signing, along with Palm Soft.

Apart from Doyle the Rebs look pretty average, the absence of Dave and Zach was massive, as they scored 10 points each when they beat the Rebs 58-32 around 8 weeks ago.Swindon won 8 races, and the 10 heats with Perky and Smiffy cost em.

The track is awful, mainly due to the hot dry weather, and is too Sandy.

With 8 home matches and 6 away to come should be top 4 place for the reigning champs. Otherwise I will eat my programme board.

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Successful clubs have always done this. Why do you think Poole have won so much in the last 15 years? 

If you ever wanted an example of winning badly, in the most unsporting fashion, Poole is it. 

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

I cannot help noticing a certain irony in a Swindon fan mentioning team changes and winning leagues through them..

*cough* Tobiasz Musielak *cough*

A fine local lad who came up through the Sprockets I presume?...;)

If Speedway wants to be taken seriously as a team sport then winning has to be the ultimate attainment..

And if you are not doing enough of it, then you either improve the performance of your current personnel or you change them....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hate to break this to you DC but Swindon have certainly not done it “the right way”. If they don’t make replacements they have done it exactly “the wrong way”. Because making changes for riders who are not performing is an essential part of the sport. It keeps the winning mentality and puts pressure on riders to maintain or improve or they are the next to go.

But I like this idea of Swindon keeping the faith with the original seven. Long may they continue to do so.:cheers:

Total nonsense as usual Belle Vue 1972 the greatest side i ever saw they kept the same 1/7 and they won it in the  correct manor.Of course you want to win but most fans want a team they can relate to not keep having endless changes.Your club in the last two years chasing the dream endlless changes like Lahti,Kennett,Starke, Zengota, Nielsen, R.Worrall all short term measures.

15 minutes ago, DC2 said:

If you ever wanted an example of winning badly, in the most unsporting fashion, Poole is it. 

monster_gif_by_vamp1967-d53t7uu.gif