British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stoke Potter

British Tracks - Can your local track be improved?

On 7/19/2018 at 8:45 AM, OveFundinFan said:

As far as I know Leicester was purpose built in recent years. Looking at a top view I don't really see many constraints, so why it is shaped as it is seems odd to me. Could easily have been built as a proper race track..... unless some one knows different.

In the early days there, I spoke to David Helmsley  (at a training day), and he said that he wanted a 'fast' speedway; this is why it was built with long straights. He obviously refused to listen to Sam Ermolenko who left the promotion before it opened, as his ideas turned out to be wrong, which is why the track has had to be rebuilt twice.

I don't think there's too much wrong with the shape of the track at King's Lynn - we just need some proper Speedway shale down like we used to have. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DanielC said:

I don't think there's too much wrong with the shape of the track at King's Lynn - we just need some proper Speedway shale down like we used to have. 

...good point shale. Often overlooked. I recall conversations over the years that it was becoming increasingly difficult in obtaining a good quality shale. Inferior shale obtained too much clay and that used to reflect the quality of the racing. May have been a discussion that I once had with track curator Colin Meredith (?) when I helped out at Cowley prior to one particular season.

Edited by steve roberts

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...good point shale. Often overlooked. I recall conversations over the years that it was becoming increasingly difficult in obtaining a good quality shale. Inferior shale obtained too much clay and that used to reflect the quality of the racing. May have been a discussion that I once had with track curator Colin Meredith (?) when I helped out at Cowley prior to one particular season.

I think that's definitely part of the problem at King's Lynn. I believe they switched shale suppliers around five/six years ago to a more clay-based/stock-car friendly material - which does roughly coincide with the downfall in the racing. 

As an example, take a look at the racing in Heat 18 and 19 of the SWC meeting in 2012:

You can clearly see the number of different lines through the corners, the entry/exit options for overtaking and the slingshot off the dirt on the outside out of turns 2 and 4.

Now compare that to the same meeting from last year where there were about three overtakes over the entire night (resulting from rider mistakes mostly) because the track was so one-lined - it's like night and day! Presumably the newer clay-based shale just doesn't produce the same number of lines?

• Like 1

Lynn used to be one if not the best in the UK. I know BV now holds that...The bangers probably have something to do with it, and they are well supported and pay to enter !! .

Lynn has had good racing since the bangers came along, as seen in the vid.. If it takes a few hours to blade the track, why can't Lynn have 2 shale piles. One for each?

I know big events make for better racing whatever the track, as there's more at stake. But it  proves it's not all the bikes fault...They are not much different from 2012 !!Lynn is better this season, hope it can continue this way.

Edited by Bald Bloke

12 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Lynn used to be one if not the best in the UK. I know BV now holds that...The bangers probably have something to do with it, and they are well supported and pay to enter !! .

Lynn has had good racing since the bangers came along, as seen in the vid.. If it takes a few hours to blade the track, why can't Lynn have 2 shale piles. One for each?

I know big events make for better racing whatever the track. Lynn is better this season, hope it can continue this way.

In the early 00's KL used to pear 3 types of track. They were in the then Premier League and the track was heavy and grippy with a lot of clay in it, and it was difficult to ride on if you were a lightweight and 'a slider in' type of style. KL later on say for a Friday meeting,  all the top surface was removed by Huggy and Buster, and it was piled high off track to make it easier for the CL teams to ride on. At the weekend, some weeks they held Stox meetings and a mixture of tracks was prepared for them.  All with the same material, but differently prepared, watered  and compacted. Possibly the newer shale isn't as adaptable as the old stuff.

I know the track was scraped for the lower level as I used to attend the Southern riders meetings as I think it was called then.Used to help newbie with fuel.Would of been around 2012.If Lynn can produce racing like in the vid in 2012, it should now.Bikes not changed much since then.

Edited by Bald Bloke