British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Baldyman

Rr and number 8's

Should it be made mandatory next season onwards that no more rr, or if rr still used it's mandatory to have a number 8's 

From my point of view there should always be full teams.  You don't see other team sports with players missing and no reserves. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Should it be made mandatory next season onwards that no more rr, or if rr still used it's mandatory to have a number 8's 

From my point of view there should always be full teams.  You don't see other team sports with players missing and no reserves. 

The only thing that annoys me about this post is i can only like it once.  Ive been harping on for years about my loathing of RR and how there are so many opportunities to give riders experience being wasted. I think RR should be used as an emergency only in the case of very late sickness / breakdowns etc but limited to twice home & twice away per team. The rest has to be covered by number 8's. Im bored of teams abusing RR to their advantage and the long drawn out meetings as every manager seems to insist on riders having back to back rides.

It's a shame there isn't enough riders out there so the use of guests could be got rid of also.  

I have a copy of the1975 speedway regulations that state that in the event of r/r being used the no 8 has to be programmed and that he must be given at least 2 rides during the match or in the second half. Since we did away with the old 13 heat formula a proper second half doesn't exist which of course limits the opportunities for up and coming riders to get valuable experience. I prefer the r/r system to filling a team with guest riders ,having said that I agree that a team should use its own riders.

If a team using R/R loses a reserve, it can be in trouble, so it needs a no.8. However, if the R/R is for a good heat leader, just using the no.8 is not on, unless the opposition is also using R/R for a similar standard rider, when both teams SHOULD promote the no.8. This gives the fans  two full teams.

I'm sure when I started following Speedway you couldn't have both sides using R/R; they'd cancel each other out which to me made perfect sense

When did this stop or is it still in the rule book and everyone ignores it/referee's don't enforce it?

1 hour ago, Andy Downes said:

I'm sure when I started following Speedway you couldn't have both sides using R/R; they'd cancel each other out which to me made perfect sense

When did this stop or is it still in the rule book and everyone ignores it/referee's don't enforce it?

Referring back to my 1975 Speed way rule book there is a section called Equalization and Cancellation which says " if opposing teams qualify for the use of a guest and / or rider replacement,then these methods will not be utilised;  instead teams will use their own resources." This of course is back in the days of 13 heats and a second half and the no 8 was used  whereas today we even use a guest in the reserves.

8 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I do not like the use of guest riders but I accept that in speed way it is a necessary evil, there are not enough good riders around to cope with missing riders. I am in favour of only using a guest for an injured no 1 and limit it to say 6 meeting. Otherwise I am in favour of r/r, but as it stands it is not matching like for like. To  my mind riders should be allowed up to two r/r rides. Let's take an example:

Redcar  v Peterborough .Peterborough used r/r for Ulrich Ostergaard ave  7.41. The riders used as r/r were:

Scott Nicholls.                     7.74

Ellis Perks.                           4.95

B. Wilson-Dean.                   5.90

M. Palm-Tort.                    6.68=       25.27.      Let's call this the Rideable Average(RA)

If Ostergaard had ridden his RA would have been.   7.41x4 rides =    29.64.     A loss of 4.37

Had the inform Palm-Toft taken a second r/r in heat 13 in place of Perks  (increasing the RA to27.00) then , instead of a heat loss 5-1 they may have had a heat loss of 4-2 giving them the away win bonus point.

Had Nicholls taken 2 rides and Palm-Tort 2 rides then the RA would have risen to 28.84 much nearer to Ostergaard's  RA and making a more realistic like for like.

An other example was the Berwick v Sheffield match. Berwick used r/r for N B Jakobsen  6.50 ave.=   26.00 RA

The r/r riders scored 6 points. The riders used were :

K Doolan.           6.24ave

D.Appraiser.       5.36

A. Summers.     7.54

D.Howe.               6.09=      25.23RA.      almost the same as Jakobsen's so only one ride each could be taken unless they gave the inform J. Etheridge ( 5.05 ave) 2 r/r rides

So as long as the rider being replaced  RA isn't exceeded then a fair like for like is achieved.

8 hours ago, *JJ said:

If a team using R/R loses a reserve, it can be in trouble, so it needs a no.8. However, if the R/R is for a good heat leader, just using the no.8 is not on, unless the opposition is also using R/R for a similar standard rider, when both teams SHOULD promote the no.8. This gives the fans  two full teams.

I think it shouldn't matter where the R/R is. At all times the No8 should come in at No6 or No7 and everybody else moves up in the team.

• Like 1