British Speedway Forum
Argos

Birmingham Statement

I think it's a shame that the Masons in their first year as promoters ,have unwittingly let Rogers get involved ,  I know he is a plausible Svengali but  it doesn't take a great deal of investigation to uncover his long track record of disreputable behaviour .and a fledgling promotion can well do without the sort of controversy he creates    .masked by  the cheery chappie that everyone loves act . if only the speedway fraternity were a bit more vocal ,as a few on here have been  ,we would have rid ourselves of him  long since ,  sadly though ,he will just go to ground while this all blows over ,and then resurface whiter than white until the next time he fancies making up his own rules 

• Like 2

I must confess that Laurence Rogers arrival at Plymouth totally disrupted all the commercial activity that had been developed and was a largely the cause of my standing down as Commercial Manager. He did his utmost to be seen to be the "main man" to the point I asked Mark Phillips when he might get his picture on the front cover of the programme after some eight or so meetings.

Total lack of communication and a determination to change systems that were already working well without any knowledge of Plymouth Devils. At least £1600 of entrance  money was lost by charging £10  "to speed up the entry" which was rarely a problem in all the preceding years. I can only recall one occasion when it was a problem but there were other factors at that meeting that caused a delay.

I feel sorry for Birmingham, a shame that someone with "little man syndrome" can cause such havoc. Without doubt he seems to court controversy.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, adonis said:

only certain youngsters .  if you are not one the his pets ,he will actively work against you  . if you have been around the lower echelons of speedway for any length of time , you would not be one but surprised by his attempts to cheat  and then Lie his way out  when proven to be a cheat  .. he's not to be applauded for  anything ,

Seems this man has all the necessary credentials  to be co-opted on to BSPA Management committee

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, Argos said:

Think you’re right but I suppose he does it for nothing 

I doubt it came to plymouth and let everyone believe he was the the saviour when the reality was he was costing the club a small fortune in expenses and never put nothing into keeping the club going

23 minutes ago, lewy said:

I doubt it came to plymouth and let everyone believe he was the the saviour when the reality was he was costing the club a small fortune in expenses and never put nothing into keeping the club going

same wherever he goes .  fortunately he's running out of options .who will be next to be robbed and disgraced ,  anybody shakes hands with him better count  their fingers afterwards and then check they still have their wallet 

Come to think of it , a couple of riders have had 28 day bans for bringing the sport into disrepute , this must apply to rogers ,so lets have  him banned  . 

• Like 1

Re Rogers, On this forum he’s “Main Man” on the Birmingham fans forum it’s “Bossman” Says it about him really 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, Argos said:

Very interesting Statement on the Official Birmingham Website re the Buxton v Birmingham’s Fixture, Confirming that Lawrence Rogers was telling lies when he stated he had written Confirmation off the BSPA that Mr Flint Snr could ride in the meeting, hope he does the decent thing and resigns.

First of all, I should say that I count Laurence Rogers as a friend and have done for many years. Might be seen, then, that my remarks are biased.

Then again, I doubt if they are much more prejudiced than many of the comments made on this thread.

Interesting that  a King's Lynn fan chooses to comment on an incident that took place 15 years ago. Bearing in mind that his promoter is now presiding over - and some might suggest help to create - the worst crisis in speedway that Phil Rising has ever known perhaps he would be better pointing fingers about bad practice and incompetence a little closer to home. The sort of disastrous errors he has made - including blowing hundreds of thousands of pounds on engines that no rider wants to buy - make Laurence's failings look positively trivial.

A team manager might - and it is a case of might, because the Birmingham website says 'oversight' and  'assumption' - have told lies about a team make up and there are demands for him to be sacked and disciplined. Presumably this is on the basis that no member of speedway management has ever told lies before :D

A mechanic once told me that there is a sure way to know when a speedway promoter is lying : his lips move. Bit drastic, but I suspect we all know where he is coming from so to single Laurence Rogers out here is the height of hypocrisy and almost certainly the result of people with an axe to grind. You should hear what my pals at Plymouth have to say about the commercial marketing of the Devils over the last few seasons, for example. It's not pleasant.

One thing I can say for certain : of all the hundreds of speedway people I have met over the years - mostly fans, but riders, promoters, team managers and sponsors as well - no -one is more passionate about and dedicated to this sport of ours than Laurence Rogers.  

EDIT : One final point : Laurence was never paid any travelling expenses by Mildenhall Speedway.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Sorry Rogers is a moron, can we get him moved out of Speedway in this country now before he puts more clubs in trouble. 

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

Because of my 'negative' views/opinions of Rogers.....they are trying to ban me from commenting on the Brummies forum :D

I haven't been abusive or called him names....apart from 'liar' and 'clown' ??

What's the word coming to?

Birmingham will be going down faster than the titanic with Rogers in charge!

Some Birmingham fans are 'blind' !

11 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Because of my 'negative' views/opinions of Rogers.....they are trying to ban me from commenting on the Brummies forum :D

I haven't been abusive or called him names....apart from 'liar' and 'clown' ??

What's the word coming to?

Birmingham will be going down faster than the titanic with Rogers in charge!

Some Birmingham fans are 'blind' !

Par for the course on an official forum. As long as you are praising the club to the skies you are OK. Anything critical - however fair or reasonable - and you're history.

Mind you, 'clown' and 'liar' are undoubtedly abusive and if your posts are couched in those terms you are asking for a ban.

17 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

First of all, I should say that I count Laurence Rogers as a friend and have done for many years. Might be seen, then, that my remarks are biased.

Then again, I doubt if they are much more prejudiced than many of the comments made on this thread.

Interesting that  a King's Lynn fan chooses to comment on an incident that took place 15 years ago. Bearing in mind that his promoter is now presiding over - and some might suggest help to create - the worst crisis in speedway that Phil Rising has ever known perhaps he would be better pointing fingers about bad practice and incompetence a little closer to home. The sort of disastrous errors he has made - including blowing hundreds of thousands of pounds on engines that no rider wants to buy - make Laurence's failings look positively trivial.

I accept all of what you say but the cock up with Trevor Harding's average and that night of 'engine failures' at Lynn are as bad as anything we've ever experienced at the Norfolk Arena. 

I'm certainly not interested in hanging Mr Rogers out to dry or abusing him but the facts over the years speak for themselves and how many clubs he has been at in that time.

• Like 3

In response to Halifax Tiger I will not comment on my predecessors or successors  but were it not for the group that I worked with Plymouth Devils would have folded two years ago. One does not come out of administration smelling of roses with a pot of money at the end of a rainbow.

Your comment reeks of saving the skin of your mate by throwing mud at everyone who has the courage to air their thoughts. There is so much more detail I could add but I think it is unnecessary, he is quite capable of hanging himself.  A real mate would be taking him aside and helping him to avoid these monumental calamities.

Edited by Devilman
incomplete
  • Like 1

Guest GiveusaB
7 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Par for the course on an official forum. As long as you are praising the club to the skies you are OK. Anything critical - however fair or reasonable - and you're history.

Mind you, 'clown' and 'liar' are undoubtedly abusive and if your posts are couched in those terms you are asking for a ban.

Fair enough....'clown' was a bit generous and as for 'liar' ? when I see Gary Flints permit I'll apologize ?

20 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

First of all, I should say that I count Laurence Rogers as a friend and have done for many years. your admission  that this is the case negates any  excuses you may try to make  Might be seen, then, that my remarks are biased.

Then again, I doubt if they are much more prejudiced than many of the comments made on this thread.  the people making comments are doing it from experience and have every right  to be prejudiced just as you are , 

Interesting that  a King's Lynn fan chooses to comment on an incident that took place 15 years ago.interesting that Rogers has been involved in midoings  for that lenghth of time and has not yet learned that  the truth will out  Bearing in mind that his promoter is now presiding over - and some might suggest help to create - the worst crisis in speedway that Phil Rising has ever known perhaps he would be better pointing fingers about bad practice and incompetence a little closer to home. perhaps you would be better to stop trying to cover  for Rogers lying and cheating   by trying to divert attention to  completely unrelated  characters and incidents   The sort of disastrous errors he has made - including blowing hundreds of thousands of pounds on engines that no rider wants to buy - make Laurence's failings look positively trivial.

A team manager might - and it is a case of might, because the Birmingham website says 'oversight' and  'assumption' - have told lies about a team make up and there are demands for him to be sacked and disciplined. Presumably this is on the basis that no member of speedway management has ever told lies before :D  more unrelated nonsense , this is not a one off occasion  Rogers has a catalogue  of lies and cheating stretching back of many years 

A mechanic once told me that there is a sure way to know when a speedway Laurence Rogers  is lying : his lips move. Bit drastic, but I suspect we all know where he is coming from so to single Laurence Rogers out here is the height of hypocrisy and almost certainly the result of people with an axe to grind.y You should hear what my pals at Plymouth have to say about the commercial marketing of the Devils over the last few seasons, for example. It's not pleasant. and you should hear what many of my pals and riders and mechanics  have to say about Laurence Rogers 

One thing I can say for certain : of all the hundreds of speedway people I have met over the years - mostly fans, but riders, promoters, team managers and sponsors as well - no -one is more passionate about and dedicated to this sport of ours than Laurence Rogers.  and one thing i can say  is for every one of those people who don't really know what laurence rogers is like  there are 2 who do , and the number is growing ,     Social media is the worst enemy of liars and cheats ,and karma is bitch  when it jumps up and bites you , 

EDIT : One final point : Laurence was never paid any travelling expenses by Mildenhall Speedway.