British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Scandinavian GP Malilla Saturday August 11th

Good to se NP back on the top spot again. There was some decent racing in the later stages . As for wildcard picks I'd say as he's this years champ Doyle probably deserves one , I can't see Holder , Hancock or Nicki  getting one though 

ZAGAR maybe, Vaculik probably not. Whether we like it not, nationality will always play a part. If Greg doesn't qualify I doubt personally that he would expect or want a wild card. Lambert will be in the frame. If NP remains as competitive as he was on Saturday but doesn't manage the top eight will he get one? The series needs new blood but also requires Danes and Swedes.

19 hours ago, Pinny said:

Fancy Pedersen for this one , usually goes well at Malilla does he not?

People shouldn't take the mickey with you now should they? Good call

58 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ZAGAR maybe, Vaculik probably not. Whether we like it not, nationality will always play a part. If Greg doesn't qualify I doubt personally that he would expect or want a wild card. Lambert will be in the frame. If NP remains as competitive as he was on Saturday but doesn't manage the top eight will he get one? The series needs new blood but also requires Danes and Swedes.

Fricke, Milik and Lambert look possibles but Hancock and Doyle are surely in the mix as well.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

If Greg doesn't qualify I doubt personally that he would expect or want a wild card.

I hope that's right, although I suspect he will just do enough to scrape in.   I said last season his age meant it was wrong he was given one for this year, and his form in the GPs this season is patchy at best to somewhat prove my point.   In fact last night was funny, your media colleague Pearson was making excuses all night suggesting Hancock's poor form last night was not because he chose wrong lines or got it wrong, but because he was beaten up or forced wide.  Hancock's time as been and gone, he is yesterday's man.

As for people slating Nicki, he took Woffy wide, it was hard riding, not dangerous riding. If Woffy was not expecting it then that it's fault, only a moron would not have expected Nicki to ride a wide line to stop an outside run.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Fricke, Milik and Lambert look possibles but Hancock and Doyle are surely in the mix as well.

I expect Greg to manage a top 8 but if he doesn't then it has to be it.  

• Like 1

The way I see it is that Hancock for several years now has preferred to ride safe rather than take a chance (not knocking him for it), he rarely overtakes on the outside and his gating has seen him thro.  In the last couple of seasons the newbies have shown no respect for his reputation ( why should they) so his points haul has gradually lowered. Woffinden now seems to have a similar mindset, safety first as he has a significant points advantage. 

Pedersen on the other hand still has the points scoring hunger and is prepared to put himself on the line to get points which means we are entertained.

i personally wouldn't give Hancock, Holder or even Pedersen a pick. The series needs new blood not oldies prepared to go thro the motions.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

The way I see it is that Hancock for several years now has preferred to ride safe rather than take a chance (not knocking him for it), he rarely overtakes on the outside and his gating has seen him thro.  In the last couple of seasons the newbies have shown no respect for his reputation ( why should they) so his points haul has gradually lowered. Woffinden now seems to have a similar mindset, safety first as he has a significant points advantage. 

Pedersen on the other hand still has the points scoring hunger and is prepared to put himself on the line to get points which means we are entertained.

i personally wouldn't give Hancock, Holder or even Pedersen a pick. The series needs new blood not oldies prepared to go thro the motions.

Your last paragraph is a contradiction... Pedersen all action last night and won the thing.

if hes capable of nights like that still, he should still be in the series. If hes still mixing around the top 8 at the end and requires a wild card, then taking into account his Swedish and Polish league form, where he tops the averages, and his recent GP form, he deserves to have another wild card regardless of how many he has previously had.

• Like 3

Just a shame they can't all be fitted in. No time for Hancock as a rider but he's better than Lindback, Kolidziej and Iversen, as are Holder, Doyle, Vaculik etc.

Still prefer a challenge approach rather than 15 handpicked riders but it has its moments sometimes.

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I was thinking about the 2019 wildcard situation this morning. 3 riders minimum will have to go and within the context of the GP field we wouldn’t miss Cook and Pawlicki- however that still leaves one other which will be a difficult decision.

I think Nicki Pedersen will get into the top 8 now (Laguta will fall away) as we have 4 proper tracks to come in the series. They suit him much better than the temporary tracks.  But if that does not happen he must get a wild card.   No fault of anyone but last nights GP was pretty boring until the semi final stage.  What and who are we talking about now ?  

NP did nothing wrong but Tai (and I am a big fan) lost his marbles for five minutes by moaning about a move that was normal in a GP.   NP struggled in the early GP's due to a broken hand caused by his crash with Zmartzik so that has to be taken into count.    

Some may argue but Zagar is an exciting rider so I'd keep him in    Hoping NP and Zagar knock Hancock and Laguta out the top 8 as I wont miss either.    Neither should get a card.   

Dudek is also under pressure and isn't very exciting to watch.    He gates and wins but rarely overtakes anyone.   Wouldn't miss him from the series but he will win enough to stay top 8.

Fricke must come in for Holder if its one Aussie for another.  Holder has been good but he is regressing each season.    Its possible Doyle will never be the same and we are seeing a once great rider who is now feeling some of the injuries.     Massive 4 GPs to come for nearly every rider. 

6 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Just a shame they can't all be fitted in. No time for Hancock as a rider but he's better than Lindback, Kolidziej and Iversen, as are Holder, Doyle, Vaculik etc.

Still prefer a challenge approach rather than 15 handpicked riders but it has its moments sometimes.

Iversen, if fully fit, is a welcome addition to the grand prix series as proved . Hes more than capable of mixing it with the top 8.

lindback if hes in the mood also, trouble with him he doesnt seem to be in the mood a lot of the time.

41 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Your last paragraph is a contradiction... Pedersen all action last night and won the thing.

if hes capable of nights like that still, he should still be in the series. If hes still mixing around the top 8 at the end and requires a wild card, then taking into account his Swedish and Polish league form, where he tops the averages, and his recent GP form, he deserves to have another wild card regardless of how many he has previously had.

It is but much as I love watching Nicki, fairness must come into it and if any of them fail to qualify they should be out. I do agree the series would be much more boring in Nicki's absence.

15 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

It is but much as I love watching Nicki, fairness must come into it and if any of them fail to qualify they should be out. I do agree the series would be much more boring in Nicki's absence.

I reckon he will make the top 8 now though anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

I reckon he will make the top 8 now though anyway.

Who dare disagree with you!    I'm not