British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

23/07/2018 - Premiership - Swindon V Leicester (Live on BT Sport)

Arena Essex is completely different, you cant have tractors going around whilst cars are racing a few feet away, that's dangerous, however I don't think there is any danger or a dog losing control and ending up on the speedway track (there is a fence there anyway) or a tractor ending up on the dog track , although if Swindon is like Romford dog track, they do have tractors grading and watering the sand based dog track anyway between the greyhound races.

Don't even have to use a tractor, just use a hose on the bends, or how about buying some cheap sprinklers?

4 minutes ago, marko said:

Arena Essex is completely different, you cant have tractors going around whilst cars are racing a few feet away, that's dangerous, however I don't think there is any danger or a dog losing control and ending up on the speedway track (there is a fence there anyway) or a tractor ending up on the dog track , although if Swindon is like Romford dog track, they do have tractors grading and watering the sand based dog track anyway between the greyhound races.

Don't even have to use a tractor, just use a hose on the bends, or how about buying some cheap sprinklers?

The dog racing is on tv for betting and they will not allow vehicles etc on the speedway track while it is on.

suggesting you can water the speedway track whilst the dog meeting is in progress is simply ludicrous 

• Like 2

Also it is difficult watering a track that is baked, it needs gentle rain for days that soaks in as pouring water on it from a tanker is like watering the surface of the M4, the majority of water just runs off.  Or as previously mentioned watering overnight so it soaks into the track.  A tanker can give it a light watering but then when the surface is wet a the weight of the tanker will bring any water back to the surface and rip up the track and turn it to slime.  Light rain is best which gradually soaks in to the track rather than a lot of water where the majority runs down the slope to the inside of the track.

Edited by A ORLOV

6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MY colleague Peter Oakes texted ... 

Went to King's Lynn last night  and have to say there was not a speck of dust despite being only 27 miles from the warmest spot in Britain yesterday. Buster was telling me he was on the track at 3.45am putting down water so despite what people will say you can run a meeting in this weather without sending the public off to have a shower!

Can't most tracks do this..Theres no dog racing during the small hours ?

You only have to look at the last 3 BT meetings at Swindon, Leicester and Wolves. All 3 were dry and dusty or poorly prepared due to lack of suitable shale. It’s a major problem for the sport. However it appears Kings Lynn and Wolves had good racetracks last night due to early preparation. So it can be done. 

As the track is the stage all tracks should be doing more to get this right.

8 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I believe access is a problem for some tracks. So not possible for some.

11 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

You've clearly never been to one of Swindon's famous 24-hour dog races.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MattK said:

No , that's true.... Maybe the crowd can chip in and buy the track man a decent alarm clock :wink:

25 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

No , that's true.... Maybe the crowd can chip in and buy the track man a decent alarm clock :wink:

He has got headlights on his tractor so overnight watering can be done providing he has access and other staff available at those times.

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Isn't that one of speedways biggest problems...all excuses and never solutions.

If I had a pound for every time I've heard the phrase "totally beyond our control" trotted out by promoters of Speedway I'd be a very very rich man

49 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MY colleague Peter Oakes texted ... 

Went to King's Lynn last night  and have to say there was not a speck of dust despite being only 27 miles from the warmest spot in Britain yesterday. Buster was telling me he was on the track at 3.45am putting down water so despite what people will say you can run a meeting in this weather without sending the public off to have a shower!

It's a shame that the Chariman of the BSPA wasn't overseeing the track prep for British Speedway's showpiece event of the week then (Cardiff being last week)

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Maybe I got the facts slightly wrong (I'll have to take your word for it that the actual reason he was sacked was because he guested for Swindon - although, personally I doubt it), but the basic principle is the same. He (and Chris Holder) were outspoken about the track that night too, and would probably have had the backing of the fans had the meeting been televised.

Surely riders deserve to be given a track that is at the very least safe to ride on -and that includes at King's Lynn.

I agree the riders do deserve a track to race on and yes the track at Lynn that night was a disgrace.     I agree with everything Troy's says but  you cant go walking out of a meetings when the racing is still going on.     It has to be enblock.     With Poole continuing to ride the rubbish track  that night, we in effect gifted them the points..   and that was what upset people....

37 minutes ago, MattK said:

It's amazing how they can train dogs to race for that long :D