British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

23/07/2018 - Premiership - Swindon V Leicester (Live on BT Sport)

4 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Without doubt, it happened to Oxford & Reading, Swindon to complete the set.

And Coventry.

Sadly it won’t be long till the SOLD FOR REDEVELOPMENT sign appears.

looked forward to watching this,  as Rye has closed, got no live speedway,  told lads at work , you want to watch speedway,  its a great sport,   i fell asleep watching it & lads at work wont bother again,   was a sad advert for a great ( but struggling sport )

Yes, the track was pants and any non speedway follower accidently tuning in last night will surely never bother again, which is another shot in any part of the foot that remains.

As a Lions supporter though, I do not think that too much can be blamed last night's track where the racing matched BP on a bad day (now that is saying something). The track was slick and riders simply had to trap, which (as you supposedly have to do at Leicester) was something that the Lions could not get to grips with. With the (experienced) rider changes brought in, I would have expected them to adapt better (set up changes etc). Swindon had their problems last night with injuries and riders moaning about conditions, but we still failed to take advantage of the situation. With the recent downturn in home form and need for collecting points on the road, where are these away points going to come from based on last night?

Over those 69 years, they should have had lots of practice at track preparation. Maybe the very hot conditions in the area have been few and far between over the years, but there must have been some similar days. If it can be done on the same night and hugely better, somewhere not so far away, what went wrong. The fact that it was on TV and a kind of "showpiece" seemed of disinterest to the promotion. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Club Statement 

THE following relates to Monday night v Leicester:

The management of Swindon Speedway recognise that track conditions for Monday’s meeting against Leicester were far from perfect.

A number of factors came together to create a perfect storm of problems.

We are working hard on the issues and expect to have them resolved by next Monday’s meeting against Wolverhampton.

Far from perfect!!!

The choice of words is extraordinary.

"A number of factors came together to create a perfect storm of problems"

That makes it sound like a near apocalyptic event rather than a monumental self inflicted eff up!!

Actually come to think of it what was really needed and wouldve been perfect was in fact a storm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Agreed. Having noticed last night how close the houses are now to Swindon Stadium, I'm sure the residents would be thrilled to have a water tanker going round the track at 4 O'Clock in the morning.

10 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Agreed. Having noticed last night how close the houses are now to Swindon Stadium, I'm sure the residents would be thrilled to have a water tanker going round the track at 4 O'Clock in the morning.

Speedway has no long term future in Swindon because of the close proximity of new houses to the stadium. And I'm sure Terry Russell wants out as well.

• Like 2

I read the Adver on Tuesday for the match report and i know the club  needs this big storm to blow over but it said basically the Robins back on track.Not alot said about the state of the track look we all know it is a hard job to get the track in good shape and it is a thankless task for some.But the worst thing about it was it was on live TV and this should never of happened also having a 2 hour programme dominated by the tractor was just awful.Just hope Monday things are better look i am not putting the boot in to my club but if this at happened at Poole on Monday there would of been a public uproar .

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

I read the Adver on Tuesday for the match report and i know the club  needs this big storm to blow over but it said basically the Robins back on track.Not alot said about the state of the track look we all know it is a hard job to get the track in good shape and it is a thankless task for some.But the worst thing about it was it was on live TV and this should never of happened also having a 2 hour programme dominated by the tractor was just awful.Just hope Monday things are better look i am not putting the boot in to my club but if this at happened at Poole on Monday there would of been a public uproar .

I noticed when watching a replay of the meeting on BT Sport, Natalie Quirk completely ignored Nick Morris comments about British Speedway when interviewing him. 

48 minutes ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

I noticed when watching a replay of the meeting on BT Sport, Natalie Quirk completely ignored Nick Morris comments about British Speedway when interviewing him. 

Missed that what did he say ?

21 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

I would imagine they will be thrilled with all that dust  on their windows, cars etc !!

Sounds like a conspiracy to me. Don't water the track. Cover houses and local cars in dust. Speedway must then close down and no reason for a new stadium at all. Hmmm.

• Like 1

Announcement by Swindon Speedway just released:

Swindon Speedway sincerely apologise to customers for the unsatisfactory and unacceptable conditions during Monday's match against Leicester.

This was caused by a combination of circumstances, which we shall make every effort to ensure is not repeated in future.

As a gesture of goodwill, customers who retained their entrance ticket will be able to use it, upon presentation, to obtain a £5 discount (£3 for concessions) from their admission cost at any remaining 2018 meeting, excluding playoffs.

Customers who had travelled from the Leicester area, should send their ticket to Swindon Speedway with a covering letter, to obtain a full refund as an alternative to the above offer.

Oh hang on.......

• Like 1