British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

On 7/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, bigcatdiary said:

I think this date makes the Pairs unlikely to be the day before as has become the norm, kids back at school, weather at that time of the year makes it a real gamble as is the GP.

Kids have been at school (or at least, supposed to be) when the Pairs were on the Fridays earlier in July in past years, why is September so different?  (Once again, I know Scotland is different re school holidays)

Maybe we should all sit tight and pass judgement once it happens...

2 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Who exactly are the 40,00 who attend Cardiff?

Probably only around half that figure regularly attend normal speedway in a week so that leaves a sizeable chunk who apparently only support this one meeting.

Factor in also that not everyone of the regular speedway crowd will visit Cardiff and the mystery 'one meeting only attendees' crowd is even bigger. Just puzzled, that's all!

Despite what doom merchants say it is clear that the Cardiff crowds have held firm over 15 years with little sign (thankfully), of the bubble bursting in direct contrast to the dwindling domestic attendance.

Cardiff truly is a dream event for a sport that is otherwise on it's knees.

For as long as we have this glorious showpiece event, there will always be hope.

That’s because the Cardiff GP provides everyone attending with a great racetrack, great racing, good entertainment, good view and seats.

Its not cheap but it is a great day out.

Now compare that with Swindon v Leicester on BT sport last night.

24 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

That’s because the Cardiff GP provides everyone attending with a great racetrack, great racing, good entertainment, good view and seats.

Its not cheap but it is a great day out.

Now compare that with Swindon v Leicester on BT sport last night.

You are correct about all the Cardiff attributes you list. And are right to identify the horror show from Blunsdon last night ...

But the extra Cardiff attendees I know of would not be going to Swindon on a Monday night even if they were serving up the best Speedway fayre ever produced. They still wouldn't be interested.

Just to make clear that is offering no defence of the shameful nature of last night. 

Cardiff is just different in ever so many many ways for them.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 3:14 PM, Grand Central said:

You are correct about all the Cardiff attributes you list. And are right to identify the horror show from Blunsdon last night ...

But the extra Cardiff attendees I know of would not be going to Swindon on a Monday night even if they were serving up the best Speedway fayre ever produced. They still wouldn't be interested.

Just to make clear that is offering no defence of the shameful nature of last night. 

Cardiff is just different in ever so many many ways for them.

Sadly speedway has become unattractive, The facilities at Swindon are dreadful. The loos are a disgrace, the food dreadful, Stadium very tired. Track preparation all year has been iffy bends 1 and 2 like a dust storm.. The sun goes down right over bends 3 and four making viewing from start finish not great. I  am not picking on Swindon, many of our beloved sport"s tracks are no better.Hence the sport attracts "enthusiasts "who are prepared to put up with that. After all a lot of us are happy to stand in a muddy field watching grass track.

Then have a look at the riders available to watch, if you are an armchair fan, watching Grand Prix, then British speedway is a little like watching the third division in football. The big stars are not here. I have a mate who comes with us every year to Cardiff , wouldn't miss it, but league racing in the UK no longer appeals to him, his choice.

Just think if you were not an enthusiastic speedway fan, would you dream of taking a date to the Speedway, Don't think she would be too impressed.

Sorry but the society we live in these days has high expectations , and British Speedway just doesn't deliver on so many counts.

This is such a shame for the Sport I have loved for so many years!, I hate to watch it die!

Noticed that most of the hotels were unavailable already - making sure they have the prices right before releasing rooms!

And it could be Cardiff v Swansea as it will be a whole new season in September 2019, who knows what divisions they could be in? It would however be highly unlikely the police would allow an clash of resources

11 hours ago, glenantony said:

Noticed that most of the hotels were unavailable already - making sure they have the prices right before releasing rooms!

And it could be Cardiff v Swansea as it will be a whole new season in September 2019, who knows what divisions they could be in? It would however be highly unlikely the police would allow an clash of resources

you would need a lot of things to fall right for that fixture to land on the same day.      No chance.

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

you would need a lot of things to fall right for that fixture to land on the same day.      No chance.

Cardiff v Bournemouth, lunchtime kickoff. Sorted! :-)

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YES

You don't have to shout just asking wot the reason was... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, andys said:

Was there any reasons giving in the speedway star? 

Well I read what Torben had to say ...

1) Cardiff would be more attractive nearer the business end of the Championship where the meeting could be more 'vital' in the title race

2) moving away from the 'holiday season' will allow more fans to attend and this would be specifically the case for 'locals'

3) the later date should have a 'positive effect' on accommodation price.

I cannot help being sceptical about his words though ....

I have never heard anyone say they avoided attending Cardiff due to it being too early in the title chase but would suddenly do so if it were only 'more vital'.

Most Cardiffs have been last week June to second week July which is generally not holiday season for most people. 

Goodness know why 'local' Cardiff folk would suddenly start attending in September when they have studiously avoided doing so for 18 years before .

And I fully expect that the hotels will screw everyone in September just the same as July, especially as the Uni accommodation may be unavailable as well. 

I presume the Stadium is just not being offered to them any earlier than September for other reasons and he is just spinning it the best way he can.

PS

I am fine with September ... Just a little less BS from BSI would be nice.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4

On 7/30/2018 at 12:58 PM, Grand Central said:

Well I read what Torben had to say ...

1) Cardiff would be more attractive nearer the business end of the Championship where the meeting could be more 'vital' in the title race

2) moving away from the 'holiday season' will allow more fans to attend and this would be specifically the case for 'locals'

3) the later date should have a 'positive effect' on accommodation price.

I cannot help being sceptical about his words though ....

I have never heard anyone say they avoided attending Cardiff due to it being too early in the title chase but would suddenly do so if it were only 'more vital'.

Most Cardiffs have been last week June to second week July which is generally not holiday season for most people. 

Goodness know why 'local' Cardiff folk would suddenly start attending in September when they have studiously avoided doing so for 18 years before .

And I fully expect that the hotels will screw everyone in September just the same as July, especially as the Uni accommodation may be unavailable as well. 

I presume the Stadium is just not being offered to them any earlier than September for other reasons and he is just spinning it the best way he can.

PS

I am fine with September ... Just a little less BS from BSI would be nice.

No1)  I agree with 

The prices at the hotels get hiked when there is an event on. I can't see the time of year will make a difference.... 

As for local interest? :rolleyes: oh please! 

Edited by Jacques