British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

25 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Also another thing is Speedway is likely to be less higher placed with broadcasters so on BT will not be on BT sport 1 and won’t get UHD coverage which I hear was brilliant last night. 

This is of course unless this is an international break weekend for football, it does seem a strange decision and will be interesting to hear the official thinking behind this date.

I suspect it’s due to stadium availability but could this possibly be the final round in 2019 so champion will be crowned and will there be an English GP earlier in the season as well ?

I AM sure they will have cleared it with BT Sport

3 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

7pm start too

Unless it's the final GP it could be a big mistake IMO 

That`s not so great, especially for those who are only going for the day and have trains to catch.

How expensive are the hotels in Cardiff going to be for next September.:blink:

• Like 1

I've not seen 7pm.. happy with date and must be 5pm 

11 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Where does it say 7pm ?

28 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I AM sure they will have cleared it with BT Sport

It won’t be a problem with BT just may get pushed down the schedule a bit in the UK and abroad.

I know WRU may want to stage some friendlies possibly 1 or two games  but am surprised there are no free weekends during June,July or August as only 1 or 2 concerts already planned during them months.

I think there is more to this decision to run Cardiff so late in the season we shall have to wait and see but do expect the football season will have an effect on the event.

24 minutes ago, screm said:

That`s not so great, especially for those who are only going for the day and have trains to catch.

How expensive are the hotels in Cardiff going to be for next September.:blink:

Plus University rooms probably unavailable due to it being term time. It was brought forward to 5pm so you had a better chance of getting a train out afterwards.

Can't see the pair's at Somerset the night before either. As rumours of one big league how about my radical idea

BSPA members who read this forum please sit down. My novel idea may scare the living daylights out of you.

Belle Vue June/July a 3 day festival of speedway.

Friday a 4s qualifying event to get it down to 8 teams 

Saturday Pairs

Sunday 4s semis and finals

6 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

SGP website

I am sure you are right but I cant see it, you arent mixing it up with the start time for the next SGP in Sweden.

http://www.speedwaygp.com/

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

I`m not sure he is right at all !!!

I agree, I`m just trying to let the fellow down gently. 

Telegraph.co.uk

Some 472 miles away from the fairways of Carnoustie, there was another British sporting event being televised this weekend, but its dust, din and danger are about as far away from the hushed, tense, rarefied world of the Open golf as it is possible to imagine. 

The Speedway Grand Prix in Cardiff on Saturday was attended by more than 40,000, and shown live on BT Sport. The channel took the opportunity to release the latest of its invariably classy BT Sport Films: a documentary about the motor sport called True Grit. It will be reshown and is well worth a look.

Watching the live action at the Principality Stadium, one would conclude that speedway must be in rude health: tens of thousands of passionate, committed fans, plenty of drama, exciting sport, with races coming thick and fast.

Danger, characters, and a party atmosphere with lots of families. And in Tai Woffinden, a genuine star – covered in tattoos. Brilliant, uncompromising, he is a properly captivating, charismatic dark genius of the Ronnie O’Sullivan or Kevin Pietersen school. He came second on the night but accrued enough points to move closer to what would be his third world title.

But the story away from the showpiece event is more clapped out moped than gleaming Harley Davidson. The True Grit film introduced a cast of dedicated, driven and singular folk genuinely struggling to keep their heads above water and their sport going. The riders are only paid when they race, and live a gruelling existence of driving themselves to races, competing for a few quid in front of sparse crowds, then grinding on to the next event. Woffinden says in the film: “I don’t really see dangers in what I do. It is probably more dangerous getting on a flight than me doing four laps on a speedway bike. I have never got nervous, so I don’t know what that feels like.”

But there were nervous times on Saturday when Australia’s world champion, Jason Doyle, had a sickening crash, which culminated in his bike smashing into him as he hit the barrier, and a 30-minute delay in proceedings while he was taken to hospital. Fortunately, he has escaped with “just” minor fractures, but it was further evidence to back up True Grit’s point that this is a sport where danger and disaster lurk at every turn. Among its contributors is Garry Stead, who was a Premier League Speedway Champion before a 2007 accident left him paralysed from the waist down. It’s a powerful and sad story, bravely and unsentimentally told by the documentary.

Risk and danger, naturally, are part of the attraction of speedway, and its sound and spectacle make for good television and what looks like a top day out as well. Lots of families in the crowd, no trouble, generous to the riders apart from perhaps pantomime villain Nicki Pedersen. 

Like all smaller sports, speedway is in a constant battle for investment, for sponsorships, for eyeballs, and those who run it need to take some serious, creative action as a matter of urgency. If they wanted something to show potential customers and supporters, they could do a lot worse than wave BT Sport’s film under noses.

I enjoyed it and the live action at Cardiff and would watch again.

True Grit: Wednesday Aug 15, 10.30pm, BT Sport 2 and Monday Sept 3, 6.30pm. BT Sport 1

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Not for me it doesn`t

Just looked and either they've updated the page or as I'm using my phone which is being painfully slow maybe I had a ghost image so part of another page over the main page. Should've took a screenshot at the time. It definitely said 21st September at 19:00