British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

12 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

REALLY?

Err, Yes.

But he's going back quite a bit.
First Saturday Final was 1956 I believe.

I'm a football season ticket holder but will still be going to Cardiff. I can let a friend use my season ticket or utilise StubHub, there's also a load of other matches I can go to, but Cardiff is only once a year so that takes priority.  It's more than just a meeting to me, more a gathering of fans from across the country and supporting British Speedway.

I accept there may be a drop off of the casual fans but if the title is still on the line, and Tai is involved then the media attention will be much greater.

An intrigued, like many on here though, as to the reason why it has been moved to September.

8 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Err, Yes.

But he's going back quite a bit.
First Saturday Final was 1956 I believe.

YOU live and learn

8 hours ago, solrac said:

I'm a football season ticket holder but will still be going to Cardiff. I can let a friend use my season ticket or utilise StubHub, there's also a load of other matches I can go to, but Cardiff is only once a year so that takes priority.  It's more than just a meeting to me, more a gathering of fans from across the country and supporting British Speedway.

I accept there may be a drop off of the casual fans but if the title is still on the line, and Tai is involved then the media attention will be much greater.

An intrigued, like many on here though, as to the reason why it has been moved to September.

EXPLANATION from BSI in SS this week

38 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

And you can`t say 1956 was before your time ;)

IT was as far as speedway is concerned ... 

Thankfully ever since I was at school and did a subject called 'History' I have understood the possibility of knowing facts about a time before i was born.

Books (or even magazines) are a good source of this sort of information.

Edited by Grand Central

15 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Steve as in a lot of your posts you manage to include some provocational bolleaux. I'd say crowd this year was a few thousand down .

I love posts like this. 

Every year some folk tell us the crowd is 'at least a few thousand' down on the previous year. Place should be nigh on empty by now!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Thankfully ever since I was at school and did a subject called 'History' I have understood the possibility of knowing facts about a time before i was born.

Books (or even magazines) are a good source of this sort of information.

STRANGELY the night speedway World Finals were held never came up in my history lessons. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

STRANGELY the night speedway World Finals were held never came up in my history lessons. 

Ah you went to the wrong school then ... I won't tell you what we studied in Biology ... But I was top of the class in the practical lessons.

Edited by Grand Central

Who exactly are the 40,00 who attend Cardiff?

Probably only around half that figure regularly attend normal speedway in a week so that leaves a sizeable chunk who apparently only support this one meeting.

Factor in also that not everyone of the regular speedway crowd will visit Cardiff and the mystery 'one meeting only attendees' crowd is even bigger. Just puzzled, that's all!

Despite what doom merchants say it is clear that the Cardiff crowds have held firm over 15 years with little sign (thankfully), of the bubble bursting in direct contrast to the dwindling domestic attendance.

Cardiff truly is a dream event for a sport that is otherwise on it's knees.

For as long as we have this glorious showpiece event, there will always be hope.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Whats with the moans? Kids dont go to school Saturdays or Sundays so no problems there. The excuse it will be too cold is an imbecilic comment. Septembers can be balmy and Julys wet. Not much difference.  

As for football, as someone else has pointed out, the GP is a one off. Crowd could be bigger than normal. 

Maybe you have no interest in football but there are some fans on here who probably spend upwards of 800 quid on a season ticket and probably wont want to miss a home match. The date next year is also the same day as T20 finals day in Birmingham, another clash . I do think the clashes , plus it not being in the height of summer will affect the attendance.

A large number of the Cardiff 'extras' are from extended family ... My wife and her son & hispartner do Cardiff most years but don't/won't go to anything else. But that is not really down to the Speedway ... More due to the weekend away in Cardiff we tend to have with the meeting just part of that. I get the feeling that is quite a widespread situation.

Also tend to see quite a few people who don't have a local track of their own any more but have got into the habit of  making the annual trip to the GP. 

I don't think many of the extras i see or know if would ever be candidates for other British Speedway events though, no matter what the BSPA do... Cardiff has created its own niche ... Totally separate from anything else.

EDIT ... one thing I already know is that whilst I am totally happy with a September date i may well have to go alone next year as my fickle 'extras' have already expressed their doubts... We shall see nearer the time.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Ah you went to the wrong school then ... I won't tell you what we studied in Biology ... But I was top of the class in the practical lessons.

Did you have a Catholic priest as teacher?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1