British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

One of the best Cardiff GPS 4 a long time.cant wait to buy my tickets 4 next year.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

People keep saying 'we got a national stadium now' and 'it needs to be there'... You do realise its not going to house 40,000 people? 

The only way there will ever be a British GP not at Cardiff would be if sales dropped, or the principality said no.. 20 years on and I very much doubt that's going to change any time soon. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This years series has felt as stale as I can remember a GP season being. They won’t because of the £’s but it needs a complete revamp and taking to the best racetracks in the world wherever they may be. 

Czestochowa and Ostrow are consistently good!;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluejam said:

Czestochowa and Ostrow are consistently good!;)

Czestochowa yes

19 minutes ago, Debbs said:

One of the best Cardiff GPS 4 a long time.cant wait to buy my tickets 4 next year.

Hook, line and sinker.

14 minutes ago, Dave_minall said:

People keep saying 'we got a national stadium now' and 'it needs to be there'... You do realise its not going to house 40,000 people? 

The only way there will ever be a British GP not at Cardiff would be if sales dropped, or the principality said no.. 20 years on and I very much doubt that's going to change any time soon. 

Of course I realise the crowd would be much less, but if there is no intention of ever having a GP on a proper track with some proper racing, then WHY was it built and called what it is called?....Stuff the 40,000 and all the gimmicks and rubbish a lot of them go for,  I'm just interested in watching good speedway RACING on a track where riders can actually overtake someone! More fool those who waste their money each year on that tripe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cardiff has always been about the occasion rather than racing, came over ok tonight on tv, better than some previous GPS.

9 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Cardiff has always been about the occasion rather than racing, came over ok tonight on tv, better than some previous GPS.

Snag is that THE occasion of the season is now Warsaw. Of course money talks, no use pushing the cause for Manchester if the sums don’t add up. What would be the maximum capacity with temporary stands? And then the catering, that would have to up its game considerably too.

9 minutes ago, Tactical Joker said:

Snag is that THE occasion of the season is now Warsaw. Of course money talks, no use pushing the cause for Manchester if the sums don’t add up. What would be the maximum capacity with temporary stands? And then the catering, that would have to up its game considerably too.

NSS cannot do catering for Son so cannot see them pulling it off for a GP, Warsaw was good this year but racing was not much better than Cardiff.

I was at Cardiff and the racing was a procession - last couple of years has been ok but tonight was poor. Yes Cardiff if about the occasion but I am sure they say the same at Warsaw ... and Torun 

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 1

Wow wee that was awful. One of the worst GPs ive ever seen. Snooze fest from start to finish. Gonna have a monster hangover to deal with tomorrow just to make it even better.

Got the impression that we may have seen the last of Greg Hancock as from what he said or didn't say tonight about riding again but was good to see him back even if it was as a pundit .

Edited by FAST GATER

Loved the occasion - as ever. But the racing was poor this year. There are good ones and bad ones, this fell into the latter. Tai Woffinden clearly down on speed too, which dampened the collective enthusiasm. I will be back next year though, the weekend itself is always enjoyable and has a unique atmosphere unobtainable anywhere else in British Speedway. 

• Like 2

I went for the first time in several years with my girlfriend who enjoyed her first visit to Cardiff, however, for me it was a poor meeting and there was nothing to get excited about. The atmosphere was ok, apart from the Poles fighting amongst themselves and generally p***ing people off by standing in the aisleways.

Gate 1 was the best by a mile, bit like Somerset last night. Gates need to be evened up to ensure all riders have a chance. Doyle was the best gater all night but didn’t have a prayer off 3.

I have one date booked in the calendar already for 2020, yep July 18th.

Luckily, my mate is getting married that day. A blessing in disguise after this year’s poor offering.

I have been going for 12 years now and will probably give next year a miss. The racing was boring and the atmosphere was a tad lacklustre. Maybe a year off would be enough to get me ''hungry'' for the occasion again.

• Like 2