British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

So, Wembley World Finals weren't about the occasion???

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

Got the impression that we may have seen the last of Greg Hancock as from what he said or didn't say tonight about riding again but was good to see him back even if it was as a pundit .

Was interviewed at the fan zone, were he said he was planning for next season 

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

So, Wembley World Finals weren't about the occasion???

Yes they were but with a HUGE end result, crowning of the World Champion.  GPs don't come close to the excitement of Wembley for anyone, it was the anticipation of your favourite rider/riders becoming Champion.  Maybe Torun, the last round is a like that. We will never have that feeling at Cardiff .....

• Like 2

Lots of sporting events have the 'occasion' outperforming what's on show..

The Monaco GP is invariably processional crap..

The Lords' Test Match is invariably the most bland of any Test Match on the roster as fans get restricted as to dress code, musical accompanying etc..

Playing England games at Wembley never ever reach the level of enthusiasm that got delivered when they put the games around the country when Wembley was being rebuilt..

Cardiff is unique and a jewel in the crown of British Speedway..

And British Speedway should be thankful it exists to remind many ex followers in the population that the sport is a) still going in the UK and b) can be ran properly without needing Mickey Mouse rules..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yes they were but with a HUGE end result, crowning of the World Champion.  GPs don't come close to the excitement of Wembley for anyone, it was the anticipation of your favourite rider/riders becoming Champion.  Maybe Torun, the last round is a like that. We will never have that feeling at Cardiff .....

Nobody is talking about GP's vs World Finals. Nobody has mentioned the crowning of the World Champion. Everyone has been talking about how poor the racing was today, and how we need to dump Cardiff because of that. Take out Penhall, and all those years of racing at Wembley wasn't any better. Nobody complained about it though...

Edited by chunky

21 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Lots of sporting events have the 'occasion' outperforming what's on show..

The Monaco GP is invariably processional crap..

The Lords' Test Match is invariably the most bland of any Test Match on the roster as fans get restricted as to dress code, musical accompanying etc..

Playing England games at Wembley never ever reach the level of enthusiasm that got delivered when they put the games around the country when Wembley was being rebuilt..

Cardiff is unique and a jewel in the crown of British Speedway..

And British Speedway should be thankful it exists to remind many ex followers in the population that the sport is a) still going in the UK and b) can be ran properly without needing Mickey Mouse rules..

Can't argue with any of that...

What was the attendance like last night ? 

34 minutes ago, Haza said:

What was the attendance like last night ? 

Would say little short of 40 000

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Was interviewed at the fan zone, were he said he was planning for next season 

I do hope that is the case as IMO he deserves to go out of the sport with his" boots on " as it were .

5 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

I do hope that is the case as IMO he deserves to go out of the sport with his" boots on " as it were .

I understand what you saying, but can you imagine the moans and groans on here if he does do the gp’s next year and he fayres badly. 

I've been to 14 GP's since they started in 1995. 10 at Cardiff, 2 at Hackney and 1 at both Bradford and Coventry. With the exception of Odsal, they have all been staged on poor tracks. It would take the NSS to tempt me to go again, but the finances make that highly unlikely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

Got the impression that we may have seen the last of Greg Hancock as from what he said or didn't say tonight about riding again but was good to see him back even if it was as a pundit .

I thought he said he wanted a wild card.     I think he would be better  off calling it a day now I dont think he will be competitive enough 

after his long lay off.   Better to finish now in one piece for his familys sake

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

I thought he said he wanted a wild card.     I think he would be better  off calling it a day now I dont think he will be competitive enough 

after his long lay off.   Better to finish now in one piece for his familys sake

Yes, he did say he would like a wild card for next year.

I was there last night for my 14th British Grand Prix. The racing was poor, the presentation in the stadium also poor. The acoustics don’t get any better & we felt the whole event was staged for tv rather than for those in the stadium. So, as something spectacular is promised for next year we will be staying at home & watching on tv. 

9 hours ago, fliss44 said:

I have been going for 12 years now and will probably give next year a miss. The racing was boring and the atmosphere was a tad lacklustre. Maybe a year off would be enough to get me ''hungry'' for the occasion again.

ditto!