British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

OVER 4,000 up on last year ... you could tell just sitting in the stadium that it was an increase. More Poles than ever.The upper tiers were packed. Dump Cardiff? Are you mad? What other speedway event could attract that sort of crowd. It isn't just the actual racing on the day. Having the stadium slap bang in the middle of town *unlike Warsaw for example) is a huge plus. Most people there had had a fabulous time before even entering the stadium. Terrific atmosphere. The actual racing will never match Wroclaw 2019 (was there too) but what a day ...

Thanks for your response- I didn’t go this year or last season to Cardiff after not missing a Cardiff Gp but I became bored stiff with it poor racing year after year expensive to stay overnight yes the occasion is great the atmosphere is great In the Stadium and in the city but the biggest let down was the gp itself and that’s the main reason we went to Cardiff in the first place - for me I watch on BT and from what I’ve seen the series has become stale and needs freshening up in some way - maybe too many rounds as well 

• Like 1

I honestly cannot believe people on this moaning about paying £50 for a ticket to to attend a gp at this incredible stadium 

I ask you have you ever attended a premier league match ,concert etc etc if yes then you will know £50 is par for attending an event of this magnitude 

Also book in advance you can get tickets for £20 which lets face it is cheap ,i pay that to attend bristol rovers and somerset rebels and although i love attending there is no comparison in stadium and atmosphere 

Ok this one wasnt a classic gp but your not going to get a wroclaw or malilla every time 

My wife and i had a wonderful day and have done for the 19 yrs we have attended for me the bomber gp will take some beating lost my voice for 2 wks after that 

Look forward to many more years 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Haza said:

from what I’ve seen the series has become stale and needs freshening up in some way - maybe too many rounds as well 

It does miss a Nicki Pedersen type character, with the exception of Tai, the rest haven't really got much about them in terms of projected personality. A mate of mine used to dip in and out of the GP's on Sky Sports a few years back... The only rider he mentioned was NP

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

It does miss a Nicki Pedersen type character, with the exception of Tai, the rest haven't really got much about them in terms of projected personality. A mate of mine used to dip in and out of the GP's on Sky Sports a few years back... The only rider he mentioned was NP

Absolutely spot on like Nicki or not he brought something to the series that is sadly missing now - the sad career ending injury  to Darcy Ward  is another that brought something special to the series . 
I just feel the whole thing needs a shake up it is becoming boring . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

OVER 4,000 up on last year ... you could tell just sitting in the stadium that it was an increase. More Poles than ever.The upper tiers were packed. Dump Cardiff? Are you mad? What other speedway event could attract that sort of crowd. It isn't just the actual racing on the day. Having the stadium slap bang in the middle of town *unlike Warsaw for example) is a huge plus. Most people there had had a fabulous time before even entering the stadium. Terrific atmosphere. The actual racing will never match Wroclaw 2019 (was there too) but what a day ...

My first and last time. If you want pre event entertainment then go to one of the London NFL games, they show you how it should be done,  nothing in the stadium before other than dire light show, riders introduced in total darkness, never mind it’s all about the racing......err, what racing? Couple of overtakes and that was it. Forgot about playing the bongos, wasn’t that fun. And the joy of sitting listening to those fog horns, thank god we do not have them at Wembley. Total cost for two of us, train, tickets, hotel, food, couple of beers...£600 ish, 23 minutes racing, value for money. NO. Wish I had given money to my local club.

With regard to expensive accommodation, a big hats off to the organisers for the 17.00 (ish) start which allows train travellers to get back as far as London and Manchester (and Norwich, although didnt see Jason Doyle on the train!).

Yes of course Cardiff must continue and £50 for any event of that duration for the pinnacle of the sport is the going rate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

My first and last time. If you want pre event entertainment then go to one of the London NFL games, they show you how it should be done,  nothing in the stadium before other than dire light show, riders introduced in total darkness, never mind it’s all about the racing......err, what racing? Couple of overtakes and that was it. Forgot about playing the bongos, wasn’t that fun. And the joy of sitting listening to those fog horns, thank god we do not have them at Wembley. Total cost for two of us, train, tickets, hotel, food, couple of beers...£600 ish, 23 minutes racing, value for money. NO. Wish I had given money to my local club.

Total cost for me:

Ticket: £19

Fuel: £30

Sandwich: £0.89

Maccies: £6.49

Why the hell are you spending £600?!?

You can't really complain that it was poor because you decided to spend £600 on a £50 day out

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

Just now, iainb said:

Total cost for me:

B&B 210...tickets 160...train £150... eating 100...3 days 2 nights. 23 minutes of non racing.

On the train home now with my 12 year old son from our first ever Speedway GP and whilst the racing wasn’t the best it was a fantastic weekend and the Cardiff experience itself was wonderful.

Bought my top tier tickets a year ago - less than £50 for two of us, great seats, stadium brilliant, atmosphere fantastic. Didn’t witness the bad behaviour others have mentioned. My 12 year old said it was the best night ever.

Enjoyed the fanzone - can’t get as close to the stars in other sports and got loads of freebies, pics, autographs etc.

Will be back next year definitely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

B&B 210...tickets 160...train £150... eating 100...3 days 2 nights. 23 minutes of non racing.

Where do you live?

21 minutes ago, rob tatum said:

I honestly cannot believe people on this moaning about paying £50 for a ticket to to attend a gp at this incredible stadium 

I ask you have you ever attended a premier league match ,concert etc etc if yes then you will know £50 is par for attending an event of this magnitude 

Also book in advance you can get tickets for £20 which lets face it is cheap ,i pay that to attend bristol rovers and somerset rebels and although i love attending there is no comparison in stadium and atmosphere 

Ok this one wasnt a classic gp but your not going to get a wroclaw or malilla every time 

My wife and i had a wonderful day and have done for the 19 yrs we have attended for me the bomber gp will take some beating lost my voice for 2 wks after that 

Look forward to many more years 

Good man a gas head and Somerset man, the fact is I paid the same for Cardiff what I did for somerset the night before, Somerset was cracker but your sat or standing on a grass bank with poor lighting and not very good catering and toilet outlets, Cardiff superb venue great view ( we were right above the woffinden/ Freddie incident) but poor racing and badly mannered and pissed up poles. Mind you we've paid more for some very bad rovers games where you know that the opposing keeper does,nt have a shot to save!!

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

Total cost for me:

You can't really complain that it was poor because you decided to spend £600 on a £50 day out

Are you the Leicester fan i seen at Perry Barr put a fiver into the Charity bucket and ask for £4 change ? to walk the track at perry barr this season. 100% true story by the way.

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Haha 1

Sad state of affairs that the only Grand Prix allocated to the UK is held on an artificial track around a rugby pitch, when we have 3 divisions of league speedway operating regularly on proper speedway tracks.  

Nothing new of course,  as the later Wembley World Finals were run on a track that was only used for the world final and had to modify the corners of the football pitch to accommodate it. 

Now we have a National Speedway Stadium - seems ironic that it isn’t deemed suitable to host a GP.