British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

5 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

The numbers just won't add up due to the limited capacity which there is nothing that can be done about from a practicial point of view ,typical we have " gem " of a track limited space  all around it !

Crowd levels at some of the present GP venues are below what would turn up at NSS.Guaranteed a sellout.

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I always buy tickets on the day but this year all the cheap tickets had sold out with cheapest on the day £50. Had to use a tout to get a cheap ticket.

Not so much sold out as doubled in price for the day. It seems that they were just filling the gaps to completely fill the the almost full area between bends 3 & 4 with the cheaper tickets available on the day.

The more sparsely populated upper tier blocks that were and are £25 for next year doubled on the day.

8 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

For me, a great racing track, on which the riders can showcase their ability to truly race each other ( and not just chase each other from the gate ) is a MUST. 

It has NEVER been that way...

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE capacity at the NSS is what it is because they had to drastically scale back on the original plans.

I totally understand, it's just very sad that a "National" stadium has such a limited capacity...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

So it's really that simple is it?? 

If it is why don't they simply do that then?

I've only just got home after a great weekend and am watching it again on TV now and it really isn't as bad as people are making out.

It really was.  You can count the number of good Cardiff meetings using the fingers on one hand.   The place needs binning

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This thread shows just how out of touch some members of this forum are.

All they can do is moan, moan, moan.  

Every year you get the same folks whinging about the racing.

Every year you get the same folks declaring how they don't go to Cardiff and most people they know don't..

Yet every year we get a crowd of nigh on 40,000 which no other stadium can even dream of obtaining, let alone having the capacity to do so.

• Like 5

There was a lot more Poles this year, most I've seen since the Gollob days. Presumably as Zmarzlik on the verge of becoming World Champion, attendancecould have been quitr a bit less if they hadn't been there.

It’s rare in speedway to get top racing all the way through a meeting. Hyde Road racing was top notch at times, but there were boring races as well.  The only GP this season that really excelled was the one in Poland - Wroclaw. That was full of excitement from pretty much race 1.  By comparison Cardiff was pretty poor, but compare Cardiff to most of the other meetings this year and it’s probably in the mix. I have seen better at Cardiff, this year going round someone seemed a difficult thing to do, attention needs to be put into sorting that.  

Thing with Cardiff I now fed up with is the rider introduction being held in the dark..... so much so you can’t see what’s going on and it didn’t come across well on TV. I know where the “darkness” comes from. Speedway racing in the evening under track lights is more spectacular then racing in the afternoon. It was the same call back in the 70’s when continental finals were held at White City in the afternoon. I have no problem with speedway racing under track lights, it does look spectacular... but let’s see the introduction of riders. Of course, venues will try to put on something different for the fans, but too extreme is too much sometimes.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

I watched Cardiff on TV and was underwhelmed. Those who went give a different impression; no surprise, really; a lage crowd, good atmosphere and what was at stake will all contribute to a sense of occasion. I was lucky enough to attend a couple of world finals at Wembley. Few of the races stand out in my memory but occasion and the prize on offer more than compensated.

I've seen good racing at Cardiff. This year the track almost seemed too good, with no ruts. Once you got on the fast line you were away an anyone trying to pass usually ended up going backwards.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

This thread shows just how out of touch some members of this forum are.

All they can do is moan, moan, moan.  

Every year you get the same folks whinging about the racing.

Every year you get the same folks declaring how they don't go to Cardiff and most people they know don't..

Yet every year we get a crowd of nigh on 40,000 which no other stadium can even dream of obtaining, let alone having the capacity to do so.

Some of what people are saying is just moaning , but a lot is constructive criticism , and if you paid to attend ( I did )  you have every right to comment 

Cardiff is a good event , but not perfect .

Although 40, 000 keeps getting quoted ( is that official ? ) , I could see a lot of empty seats from where I was sitting  and with a better track maybe you could fill some more seats, 

the most positive thing is that,  for one day a year   - UK Speedway looks  like a big-time Sport again

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, djr said:

Some of what people are saying is just moaning , but a lot is constructive criticism , and if you paid to attend ( I did )  you have every right to comment 

Although 40, 000 keeps getting quoted ( is that official ? ) , I could see a lot of empty seats from where I was sitting  and with a better track maybe you could fill some more seats, 

the most positive thing is that,  for one day a year   - UK Speedway looks  like a big-time Sport again

Constructive criticism is fine.

Calls for it to be axed are insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

There was a lot more Poles this year, most I've seen since the Gollob days. Presumably as Zmarzlik on the verge of becoming World Champion, attendancecould have been quitr a bit less if they hadn't been there.

Attendance could have been quite a lot less... If a lot less people had turned up... Well I never

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

Attendance could have been quite a lot less... If a lot less people had turned up... Well I never

Dammit... You beat me to it!

• Haha 1

And the attendance could have been a lot better if more people had turned up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, djr said:

Hard to argue with that. I was at the Emirates tonight, where over 53,000 turned up to watch a league cup tie featuring two weakened teams. Football's popularity in this country shows no signs of declining.