British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

10 hours ago, BWitcher said:

This thread shows just how out of touch some members of this forum are.

All they can do is moan, moan, moan.  

Every year you get the same folks whinging about the racing.

Every year you get the same folks declaring how they don't go to Cardiff and most people they know don't..

Yet every year we get a crowd of nigh on 40,000 which no other stadium can even dream of obtaining, let alone having the capacity to do so.

Yes there are alot of positive's and this meeting is great for speedway but i don't hear two many moans on this thread most of the points raised are valid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes there are alot of positive's and this meeting is great for speedway but i don't hear two many moans on this thread most of the points raised are valid.

Also Cardiff is a great advert for speedway and long may it continue  but does all of British speedway gain financially out of the event??.Was British speedway properly compensated at the time when the WC swapped to the GP series system.!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Also Cardiff is a great advert for speedway and long may it continue  but does all of British speedway gain financially out of the event??.Was British speedway properly compensated at the time when the WC swapped to the GP series system.!!!!

DON'T forget the World Championship is the property of the FIM not the bSPA or for that matter the ACU, who are the GB authority affiliated to the FIM. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I sympathise with your thoughts Sidney the robin. But why should British speedway have been compensated because of the change?

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T forget the World Championship is the property of the FIM not the bSPA or for that matter the ACU, who are the GB authority affiliated to the FIM. 

Here's your answer Sidney the robin! It came om screen while I was posting my previous comment to you. Adequately explains world championship 'ownership' as I see it.

31 minutes ago, gustix said:

I sympathise with your thoughts Sidney the robin. But why should British speedway have been compensated because of the change?

I am probably wrong,   but seem to remember something about British speedway getting a share of any profit from Wembley world finals ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djr said:

I am probably wrong,   but seem to remember something about British speedway getting a share of any profit from Wembley world finals ?

IT probably did but there was no third party involved. The FIM determined which countries would stage a World Final and when. But like other motorcycle disciplines (Moto GP, etc) the commercial rights were later sold and the FIM banked the money. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT probably did but there was no third party involved. The FIM determined which countries would stage a World Final and when. But like other motorcycle disciplines (Moto GP, etc) the commercial rights were later sold and the FIM banked the money. 

I`m sure there is a story to be told about when the Grand Prix series started - British speedway were promoting the rounds  at Hackney 95/96 - Bradford 97 Coventry 98,99,2000. Terry Russell "found" Cardiff for 2001  yet  i think JP took over the "promoting" from then.

Edited by racers and royals

The quoted 40,000 attendance for the 2019 GP at Cardiff was excellent. But how many attending were actually British speedway supporters?

How many were the type of person who just likes to attend major sporting events?

How many of them were from other countries?

It has been quoted elsewhere several times that the basic overall attendance each week for all British speedway tracks averages about 20,000.

If the Cardiff attendance was - and I doubt it was - 40,000 British supporters why do the balance 20,000 not attend tracks on a weekly basis?

1 minute ago, gustix said:

The quoted 40,000 attendance for the 2019 GP at Cardiff was excellent. But how many attending were actually British speedway supporters?

How many were the type of person who just likes to attend major sporting events?

It has been quoted elsewhere several times that the basic overall attendance each week for all British speedway tracks averages about 20,000.

If the Cardiff attendance was - and I doubt it was - 40,000 British supporters why do the balance 20,000 not attend tracks on a weekly basis?

In 2015 (the last Cardiff I attended), I had two people with me who don't attend speedway every week. One was because at the time he was at uni but also because he fell out of going when he had to start paying a full adult entry cost when he was still in his GCSE years and that was unaffordable week on week. The other was because he struggled to cope with normal meetings due to his autism but somehow (could be the extra space a wheelchair and carer bay allowed), could cope better with the GP set up.

If I do go next year, it will probably be with the above two people plus one other who also does not attend week on week for the same reason as the first non attendee and hasn't done since they turned 16 (23 next month)....cost week on week.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

My take on it Gustix is speedway was in real  decline ever since Bruce Penhall retired 1982 and since then our domestic league has nose dived to the level it is at now.But you have to say our domestic speedway has suffered because of the Series over the period ask Rye House fans ( set race nights).

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

My take on it Gustix is speedway was in real  decline ever since Bruce Penhall retired 1982 and since then our domestic league has nose dived to the level it is at now.But you have to say our domestic speedway has suffered because of the Series over the period ask Rye House fans ( set race nights).

I think you have a good reason for the start of what year-on-year appears to be a decline for BRITISH speedway. It certainly appears to be well adrift from Poland especially.

Sadly I think British speedway has to cope with fixed race nights because of rider availability and commitments for top riders elsewhere in Europe on week nights - Poland and Sweden are prime examples.

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, gustix said:

I think you have a good reason for the start of what year-on-year appears to be a decline for BRITISH speedway. It certainly appears to be well adrift from Poland especially.

Sadly I think British speedway has to cope with fixed race nights because of rider availability and commitments for top riders elsewhere in Europe on week nights - Poland and Sweden are prime examples.

That is where i believe  the time may have come to just  use riders now who want to  commit to the UK and then run your club within your means.For me speedway is speedway,  even a lower level sort of speedway can be entertaining i have experienced that.Ok you will miss the Doyle, Iversen ( ect) type and yes that is a massive loss and some will again say watering the product down again achieves nothing but for me something has to change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gustix said:

What does it matter? If a load of Poles come along making it viable so that British fans can have a good day out watching the worlds top riders I'd call that a result

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iainb said:

What does it matter? If a load of Poles come along making it viable so that British fans can have a good day out watching the worlds top riders I'd call that a result

I don't deflect from that opinion iainb. However I return to the salient point and query "...how many of the accepted 20,000 REGULAR British speedway supporters actually went to Cardiff..."?