British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

Be interesting to know how many supporters of league teams go to Cardiff. Say about 18000 go to league meetings weekly, but over 40000 go to GP. Most Swindon fans I know don't go to Cardiff, but I know some people that only go once a year to GP. Will definitely be going next year as bruv from Australia is coming over for it.

Edited by auntie doris

My first visit to Cardiff for some years. Enjoyed the day, and the atmosphere. But the racing was dreadful, and that's what I went for. I also didn't enjoy the Welsh presenter and his bongo cam - for the kids, though, I suppose.

I'm also not a fan of air horns at these events - the sound of 40,000-odd people roaring is far more exciting than the dismal drone of the air horns, blocking out everything else. But I seem to be in the minority on that!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jeff said:

My experience too. £50 as the 'walk up' price is too much. Last minute decision to go with my son. Luckily(?) I bought cheaper tickets from a tout instead.

Short sighted pricing policy in my opinion that could/should deter those thinking of attending as a 'walk up' next year.

To be fair,  they do give you months and months of time to purchase your tickets..

And, a bit like at a motorway service station or a theme park, if you are already there in Cardiff you are pretty much a captured market, so fair game for the owners to charge you what they want to charge you..

I would imagine not many people living in and around Cardiff locally would suddenly on the day decide to go, meaning anyone in Cardiff without tickets will be there for the one reason alone,  which is to attend the GP..

Therefore the organisers know they need to get as much out of you as they can in the small amount of time they have to do so..

I also remember being able to buy a cheaper ticket and move over to a more expensive seat in the stadium in the past, without any restriction control whatsoever in doing so..

If that is still the case then it makes sense for them to only sell the higher priced seat in the first place..

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Surely tout tickets will be more expensive they not going to sell at a loss?

The closer it gets to start time then touts may sell at a loss to get some money back , as the tickets are obviously worthless when the meeting starts

As for the racing , I went and thought it was poor .  

Kept thinking - its a temporary track  and if they have no restrictions then why not try a different shape to the track next year ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Be interesting to know how many supporters of league teams go to Cardiff. Say about 17000 go to league meetings weekly, but over 40000 go to GP. Most Swindon fans I know don't go to Cardiff, but I know some people that only go once a year to GP. Will definitely be going next year as bruv from Australia is coming over for it.

That's a very good point. It's about 50/50 of the people i know go. You either love it or leave it. I tend to be in the latter group, although i wouldn't rule out going again if the circumstances were right.

33 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Surely tout tickets will be more expensive they not going to sell at a loss?

A lot of the touts end up with sponsors freebies, which they probably pay peanuts for.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Be interesting to know how many supporters of league teams go to Cardiff. Say about 17000 go to league meetings weekly, but over 40000 go to GP. Most Swindon fans I know don't go to Cardiff, but I know some people that only go once a year to GP. Will definitely be going next year as bruv from Australia is coming over for it.

I always think the Cardiff GP crowd highlights the huge opportunity that still exists for the sport in the UK..

I would suggest there were more UK based people there last night that don't attend UK speedway regularly than those who do..

The UK promoters really need to ask themselves why that is the case...

Or maybe more pertinently FIND OUT why that is the case and do something about it..

Even just 30000 people regularly attending each week would be a huge positive move forward such is the ultra  low base it comes from..

40000+ at Cardiff every single year shows there is still a fair old appetite for the sport in the UK..

It also shows then that many just don't like the 'menu' UK Speedway serves up.. 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

So for some people, it appears that it’s just about the crowd size and “occasion” then rather than the actual racing itself! ......Count me out then as I thought speedway was about RACING and excitement, not about dancing girls, flashing lights and stupid little flags! 

No not for some. For the overwhelming majority.

In fact you'd have to have a screw loose and be keen to confine speedway in the UK to the history books if you advocate getting rid of Cardiff.

• Like 2

For the second consecutive year I thought the racing was poor and boring. A typical makeshift track which offers dull, possessional racing, very little passing, no racing lines and did nothing to get me excited about. I attended the Wroclaw GP and this was speedway at its finest on a permanent track with passing in every race. Personally speaking, I would like to see the British GP moved to Belle Vue, but I can't see that happening. If 40,0000 fans are happy to pay extortionate money to watch boring racing, then I imagine Cardiff will be the preferred venue for years to come.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

No not for some. For the overwhelming majority.

In fact you'd have to have a screw loose and be keen to confine speedway in the UK to the history books if you advocate getting rid of Cardiff.

Well if THAT's what "the overwhelming majority" want to watch and call entertaining and value for money speedway these days, then you are welcome to it!!....(from someone who has been watching the sport for over 45 years)

• Like 2

I spend my money where its needed............BRITISH Speedway. 

I dont go to Cardiff anymore. Overpriced in every way.

I remember the time that when you bought a ticket,you got a programme included. The following year they advertised 'no price rises for tickets'.  Yet those tickets DIDNT include a programme. So the actual price did go up!  I refused to pay and have not been since.

The money I would need to spend to get there, travel, ticket,programme,food etc, I save and give out as sponsorship to a NL rider. I also go round the Country watching and have been to the majority of tracks this season. Still hoping to do more with the Play Offs etc.

I want British Speedway to gain revenue, not the Corporate moguls.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

Well if THAT's what "the overwhelming majority" want to watch and call entertaining and value for money speedway these days, then you are welcome to it!!....(from someone who has been watching the sport for over 45 years)

It doesn't matter whether you have been watching the sport for 45 years or 45 minutes.

Nor is it 'these days'. It has always been the case and always will be. As it is in pretty much every other sport there is too. It's already been pointed out earlier on the thread.

First time at Cardiff. As an event very impressive great stadium with facilities to match but on track racing I thought was generally poor. Atmosphere started off wonderful but dwindled through the night and by the end it was only the Polish fans that were making any real atmosphere.

1 minute ago, screm said:

First time at Cardiff. As an event very impressive great stadium with facilities to match but on track racing I thought was generally poor. Atmosphere started off wonderful but dwindled through the night and by the end it was only the Polish fans that were making any real atmosphere.

That would be down to Woffinden having a poor night. Had he or indeed Lambert or Wright made the semis it would have been a different kettle of fish.

• Like 2

I spend my money where its needed............BRITISH Speedway. 

I dont go to Cardiff anymore. Overpriced in every way.

I remember the time that when you bought a ticket,you got a programme included. The following year they advertised 'no price rises for tickets'.  Yet those tickets DIDNT include a programme. So the actual price did go up!  I refused to pay and have not been since.

The money I would need to spend to get there, travel, ticket,programme,food etc, I save and give out as sponsorship to a NL rider. I also go round the Country watching and have been to the majority of tracks this season. Still hoping to do more with the Play Offs etc.

I want British Speedway to gain revenue, not the Corporate moguls.

• Like 1