British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

8 minutes ago, BobC said:

I spend my money where its needed............BRITISH Speedway. 

I dont go to Cardiff anymore. Overpriced in every way.

I remember the time that when you bought a ticket,you got a programme included. The following year they advertised 'no price rises for tickets'.  Yet those tickets DIDNT include a programme. So the actual price did go up!  I refused to pay and have not been since.

The money I would need to spend to get there, travel, ticket,programme,food etc, I save and give out as sponsorship to a NL rider. I also go round the Country watching and have been to the majority of tracks this season. Still hoping to do more with the Play Offs etc.

I want British Speedway to gain revenue, not the Corporate moguls.

Quite clearly it isn't overpriced.

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

That would be down to Woffinden having a poor night. Had he or indeed Lambert or Wright made the semis it would have been a different kettle of fish.

In a nutshell...

When Woffy has been in contention at other Cardiff GP's  later in the meeting the atmosphere has remained ramped up..

As we say many times, following sport needs that emotional attachment to the individual or team you follow to make that experience truly mean something.. 

An emotional attachment that sadly has been gradually eroded away in domestic UK Speedway..

I took someone to Cardiff, they loved it, was their first speedway meeting, but quickly lost interest when they started watching league speedway. Even though the racing wasn't any better. 40000 at Cardiff compared to 1200 at Swindon stood on a grass bank looking through a fence. It's the atmosphere and the event. The occasion.

Still think 2017 was best GP for racing. My first in 2005 was the best, was amazed by the whole event and atmosphere.

Edited by auntie doris

1 hour ago, jeff said:

My experience too. £50 as the 'walk up' price is too much. Last minute decision to go with my son. Luckily(?) I bought cheaper tickets from a tout instead.

Short sighted pricing policy in my opinion that could/should deter those thinking of attending as a 'walk up' next year.

£50 ?!

I paid £19 last year, £20 last night, and £20 for next year earlier this morning, in block U15 on level 6 in the upper tiers.

That block is positioned just as the riders exit the 4th bend.

Similar to the above:

If I had the choice, as a one off, of attending a meeting with a 40,000 crowd but poor racing, over one with 1000 there but reasonable racing it would be the first one.. every single time.

It's indisputable that is the case for tens of thousands of others too despite what a few claim on here.

Cardiff is more than just one speedway meeting for many. It's a weekend jammed full of meeting up with old friends, some who they see once a year.  It's the ultimate occasion for a speedway fan, a rare time a city is taken over by the sport and long may it continue to thrive as a beacon that there is still support for speedway in the UK.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, mikebv said:

In a nutshell...

When Woffy has been in contention at other Cardiff GP's  later in the meeting the atmosphere has remained ramped up..

As we say many times, following sport needs that emotional attachment to the individual or team you follow to make that experience truly mean something.. 

An emotional attachment that sadly has been gradually eroded away in domestic UK Speedway..

Watching Swindon beat Belle Vue on Thursday for their first top tier Cup win as opposed to Vue's 14 was for me better than Bomber winning 2007 GP. Fantastic atmosphere, hundreds of fans celebrating with the riders, which is rarely attained now in league speedway.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 3

So why do fans go to Cardiff:

Weekend away.

Social occasion , meet up with other fans , friends family.

Location of stadium, bars , hotels, restaurants all in close proximity .

Some Speedway that will definitely not be rained off.

Fan-zone.

Atmosphere in stadium.

Bad points:

Average/poor racing in general.

Cost of Hotels.

Location for some British northern based fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Weekend away.

Fan-zone.

Atmosphere in stadium.

Bad points:

Cost of Hotels.

Can't disagree with any of that 

1 minute ago, topaz325 said:

Weekend away.

Fan-zone.

Atmosphere in stadium.

Bad points:

Cost of Hotels.

Wouldn't have thought most people stay. A big plus point is it definitely won't be rained off. Plus the opportunity to see the best 15 riders in the world. Just wished we had better riders in GB. The stadium would have been full in the 1970s!

23 minutes ago, jeffster said:

£50 ?!

I paid £19 last year, £20 last night, and £20 for next year earlier this morning, in block U15 on level 6 in the upper tiers.

This was approx 13.30. Told all cheaper tickets had sold out.

I understand why they do this. I'm just saying that it's a short term policy. I wouldn't go again on the spur of the moment.

There's some miserable old buggers on this forum... If you don't enjoy Cardiff, you probably don't enjoy life!

I ordered my ticket a couple of weeks ago, £19, same as a league meeting in far better surroundings. I sat in my allocated seat but I could have gone pretty much anywhere in the top tier. Ok it wasn't a classic, probably down to Woffy not really being in contention and you have to wonder about Cardiff's longevity once Woffy is out of the picture with no one really on the horizon to pick up the baton.

It was a lovely day, weather wise, cheap, professionally run, great atmosphere in a stadium that offers great views of the track... Where else can you get that in the UK?

If I did have a gripe it would be the intro/parade... I couldn't really see what was going on

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, jeffster said:

£50 ?!

Yes plenty of cheap tickets available in advance but due to circumstances we decided to pay on the day. The website showed the cheapest on the day at £25 which is fair enough increase for a walk up price but we got there about 2pm and was told they were sold out and the cheapest was £50 Upper tier bend 3. I couldn't let down my grandson and my daughter hadn't budgeted for that much so 4 adults and a child cost me £225. I can't help agreeing that selling the empty upper tier spaces more cheaply on the day would increase attendance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Yes plenty of cheap tickets available in advance but due to circumstances we decided to pay on the day. The website showed the cheapest on the day at £25 which is fair enough increase for a walk up price but we got there about 2pm and was told they were sold out and the cheapest was £50 Upper tier bend 3. I couldn't let down my grandson and my daughter hadn't budgeted for that much so 4 adults and a child cost me £225. I can't help agreeing that selling the empty upper tier spaces more cheaply on the day would increase attendance. 

I was in upper tier bend 3 U24, £19, purchased 2 weeks ago... Ouch!

Agree racing was not great but a good atmosphere and it had the feel of a special event. Took a newbie (duaghter's partner from Amsterdam) and he commented on the first our of the gate nature of the racing. Unfortuantely, Cardiff reinforces the stereotypical view of speedway and that can't help the sport. I've been to 5 Cardiff GPs and seen this one wasn't the best but OK.

My major gripe was the traffic. We travelled down from the Midlands and the traffic around Newport and Cardiff was horrendous. With a major event on why was there no good Park and Ride set up from East Cardiff? Seems to me that the GP organisers should consider  possible alternatives and remind Cardiff of the value of 40000 hungry and thirsty speeday supporters. There are good stadia now in other UK cities that might offer a more comfortable experience.

Sad to say glad Zmarzlik didn't win. Poles around me were pains. If English supporters had behaved like them there would have been complaints galore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

I was in upper tier bend 3 U24, £19, purchased 2 weeks ago... Ouch!

We were U25 but not worth the extra lol.

Oh well lesson learned. Won't make the same mistake again. My grandson loved it so we still had a good night. It just felt like being held to ransom at the time. Thank goodness for Barclaycard lol. Best start cracking in some overtime next week!

• Like 1