British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

47 minutes ago, rob tatum said:

I honestly cannot believe people on this moaning about paying £50 for a ticket to to attend a gp at this incredible stadium 

I ask you have you ever attended a premier league match ,concert etc etc if yes then you will know £50 is par for attending an event of this magnitude 

Also book in advance you can get tickets for £20 which lets face it is cheap ,i pay that to attend bristol rovers and somerset rebels and although i love attending there is no comparison in stadium and atmosphere 

Ok this one wasnt a classic gp but your not going to get a wroclaw or malilla every time 

My wife and i had a wonderful day and have done for the 19 yrs we have attended for me the bomber gp will take some beating lost my voice for 2 wks after that 

Look forward to many more years 

I'm not complaining. Just that based on people's previous experiences as posted on here I was given to understand that the cheaper tickets were always available on the day so it was a bit of a shock when they weren't and cost me more than expected. When it's just me and the wife going I always opt for tickets over £50 anyway but paying for a larger group I could have done with getting cheaper tickets.

It's good for the event that the tickets sold out but given that the view from the upper tiers is pretty similar all the way round it wouldn't hurt to make more cheaper seats available and maybe boost attendance even more.

Yes I attend Premier league football weekly. I have a season ticket which works out about £28 a game and away matches are capped at £30. My Arsenal away ticket was £26.

Yesterday was my grandsons 1st speedway experience and he blew his horn and waved his flag all the way through and loved it so I don't begrudge it.

Just now, old bob at herne bay said:

Sad state of affairs that the only Grand Prix allocated to the UK is held on an artificial track around a rugby pitch, when we have 3 divisions of league speedway operating regularly on proper speedway tracks.  

Nothing new of course,  as the later Wembley World Finals were run on a track that was only used for the world final and had to modify the corners of the football pitch to accommodate it. 

Now we have a National Speedway Stadium - seems ironic that it isn’t deemed suitable to host a GP. 

Why would you hold an event that draws a crowd of over 40,000 people at a venue that holds 8-10,000? Madness!

I can't believe we're still having this debate 20 years on

10 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Sad state of affairs that the only Grand Prix allocated to the UK is held on an artificial track around a rugby pitch, when we have 3 divisions of league speedway operating regularly on proper speedway tracks.  

Nothing new of course,  as the later Wembley World Finals were run on a track that was only used for the world final and had to modify the corners of the football pitch to accommodate it. 

Now we have a National Speedway Stadium - seems ironic that it isn’t deemed suitable to host a GP. 

It`s not that it`s deemed unsuitable to host a GP because it obviously is, however we have the rights holders and Promoters of the series BSI/IMG who don`t want another GP in the UK(and i can understand that decision). Who knows what will happen in the future when in a couple of years time a new promoter could be running the series.

Edited by racers and royals

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Total cost for me:

Ticket: £19

Fuel: £30

Sandwich: £0.89

Maccies: £6.49

Why the hell are you spending £600?!?

You can't really complain that it was poor because you decided to spend £600 on a £50 day out

no liquid ?

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but how come is monster Joe allowed on track?? Thought he was a sponsor not a medic or mechanic :unsure:

51 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why would you hold an event that draws a crowd of over 40,000 people at a venue that holds 8-10,000? Madness!

He didn't say replace Cardiff, he said why is the only GP at Cardiff. Why couldn't the NSS have one as well as Cardiff, just like Sweden & Poland do.

• Like 4

Don't know if this been said yet as not reading through 30 pages, the racing in the first 8 heats was pretty good, quite a decent amount of passing, I don't know what they did to track then in that grading break but it was terrible after that.

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

He didn't say replace Cardiff, he said why is the only GP at Cardiff. Why couldn't the NSS have one as well as Cardiff, just like Sweden & Poland do.

Totally agree Cardiff is overrated bigtime average racing but a great accasion like Wembley .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark said:

no liquid ?

£0.17 2L Tesco spring water... sorry didn't think it was worth mentioning :D

6 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Defo should... gets my vote

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Total cost for me:

Ticket: £19

Fuel: £30

Sandwich: £0.89

Maccies: £6.49

Why the hell are you spending £600?!?

You can't really complain that it was poor because you decided to spend £600 on a £50 day out

Not everyone stays within driving distance of  Cardiff and some have to stay  over at least one night 

My thoughts on the British GP... Fast racing but most of the action was on the first and second bend. Very disappointed that with 3 Brits in the meeting, none of them made the semis. Congrats to Madsen on his victory.

23 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Not everyone stays within driving distance of  Cardiff and some have to stay  over at least one night 

Yes, I understand this, which is why I asked where £600 was from. Sometimes you have to put yourself out though. I did the 400 mile round trip to Eastbourne and back (to Leicester) last weekend, I did the 320 mile round trip to Cardiff yesterday, I'll be doing the Redcar trip on Friday... and hopefully a Somerset or Glasgow trip... it may mean a late night but there is Sunday to recover.

There's no way I'd ever spend £600 on Speedway.

Edited by iainb
addition