Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

2 hours ago, rob tatum said:

I honestly cannot believe people on this moaning about paying £50 for a ticket to to attend a gp at this incredible stadium 

I ask you have you ever attended a premier league match ,concert etc etc if yes then you will know £50 is par for attending an event of this magnitude 

Also book in advance you can get tickets for £20 which lets face it is cheap ,i pay that to attend bristol rovers and somerset rebels and although i love attending there is no comparison in stadium and atmosphere 

Ok this one wasnt a classic gp but your not going to get a wroclaw or malilla every time 

My wife and i had a wonderful day and have done for the 19 yrs we have attended for me the bomber gp will take some beating lost my voice for 2 wks after that 

Look forward to many more years 

I agree. We recently paid 85 pounds a ticket (single fee), to watch Ed sheeran busking in a local park, outside in the elements. I know what was better value. 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I can't believe we're still having this debate 20 years on

Yeh, *exactly* my thoughts, having just read many of the posts.

It's uncanny what a home SGP can do to truly bring out the whole gamut of opinion. We've even had the ''bring back one off World Finals' and 'bring back Wembley' comments - Although it's a little while since I posted in this forum, I thought we'd left all of that behind, but obviously those well regarded old chestnuts have been dusted off once again.

I was pleased to see those saying that they'd brought people (especially children) along for the first time and how it wowed them. Great stuff.

Lots of NSS references - Yes, a great track, but the one thing that's always puzzled me is... no terracing on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th bends (ok, temporary stands on big meets) - where's the ambition in that?

Yes, Cardiff is a world away from UK domestic speedway, but long may this 'occasion' and 'event' continue, otherwise... well, I don't need to say where the old dirt track game is finally heading, do I?

Edited by davidncohen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Yes, I understand this, which is why I asked where £600 was from. Sometimes you have to put yourself out though. I did the 400 mile round trip to Eastbourne and back (to Leicester) last weekend, I did the 320 mile round trip to Cardiff yesterday, I'll be doing the Redcar trip on Friday... and hopefully a Somerset or Glasgow trip... it may mean a late night but there is Sunday to recover.

There's no way I'd ever spend £600 on Speedway.

I've driven to Cardiff once before and its not something I want to do again &  I'm certainly not prepared to drive from the Scottish Borders to South Wales and back on the same day , so staying over  is  my only option 

DSC67,

Out of interest are you allowed to take your won food and drink into the stadium  ? I did remember that you wer not allowed to take plastic bottles of water into the Cardiff rugby stadium? (forsecurity resons) a few years ago. 

13 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

I've driven to Cardiff once before and its not something I want to do again &  I'm certainly not prepared to drive from the Scottish Borders to South Wales and back on the same day , so staying over  is  my only option 

That is when it becomes pricey! 

1 minute ago, old bob at herne bay said:

DSC67,

Out of interest are you allowed to take your won food and drink into the stadium  ? I did remember that you wer not allowed to take plastic bottles of water into the Cardiff rugby stadium? (forsecurity resons) a few years ago. 

No is the straight answer. This year bags were properly checked and the wand was used prior to being allowed through.

MMmmm I did remember correctly.

So the "89p" sandwich and the "17p"  bottle of water that DSC67 purchased had to be consumed before entering ! 

I can understnad bags being checked but banning food and non alcoholic drinks still sounds to me nothing more than profiteering.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

DSC67,

only small bags allowed inside the stadium as far as I know .usually checked by security

7 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

MMmmm I did remember correctly.

So the "89p" sandwich and the "17p"  bottle of water that DSC67 purchased had to be consumed before entering ! 

I can understnad bags being checked but banning food and non alcoholic drinks still sounds to me nothing more than profiteering.

it wasnt me  who bought the sandwich  I didnt go this year due the costs

1 hour ago, iainb said:

£0.17 2L Tesco spring water... sorry didn't think it was worth mentioning :D

You can do my household shop, bargain hunt.   Take a reusable next time.  Save 17p and help reduce the plastic mountain

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Security was tight but i had apples in our bag which got through ok, and my Grandson got through holding a bottle of pop.

Pff! I'll raise you a Gregg's chicken and bacon slice, a cheese & onion slice and a vegan sausage roll. :-)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Security was tight but i had apples in our bag which got through ok, and my Grandson got through holding a bottle of pop.

Will have to try holding a gallon of wine next year then! nice to meet up with you yesterday

1 minute ago, sommelier said:

Will have to try holding a gallon of wine next year then! nice to meet up with you yesterday

Indeed, nice to meet you and yours again. Gruchalski outclassed by Krakowiak today ;)

Best thing about this years BGP was finding 'Elvis Juice' on draught in one of the Wetherspoons !  :cheers:

The meeting itself is way over-rated imo…..

Cardiff is ALL about the 'atmosphere/buid-up' outside the stadium.....

I've been to a GP in Warsaw and the 'atmosphere' in the stadium is far better, but absolutely 'ZERO' atmosphere in the City (pre-meeting)

I wont be going to Cardiff next year and will choose a GP abroad instead? I've heard Torun is the best ? 

Does anyone else beg to differ.....or 'suggest' an alternative?