Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

46 minutes ago, Rob B said:

People aren't suggesting replacing Cardiff with Belle Vue, that would be ridiculous, why can't they both be used. Those interested more in the racing will go to Belle Vue along with more from the north probably, those who like the weekend away and the event would still go to Cardiff.

Some people won't be happy unless it's held in their own backyard. There were a lot of people that travelled a lot further than the North of the country to this event. Even holding it at BV is no guarantee of great racing, remember the world cup event of a few years ago

5 hours ago, SR1953 said:

I'm one of those who think the racing is more important than the "occasion", because once all the pre-meeting stuff is over the rest is ALL about the racing. But I can see that others disagree and understand that.

What I don't quite follow is how the GP being at Cardiff is so good for speedway in the UK. It's not exactly thriving is it? The vast majority of those interested in going to the GP, or even watching on tv, are already speedway fans. It doesn't bring in new fans - or if it does, the evidence is hard to spot.

Cardiff brought me back to speedway after a near 10 year break.

I just happened one night to be flicking through the channels and noticed speedway was on, not the speedway I remembered from the early 90s but speedway on steroids in a big stadia and on the telly...it ignited my interest enough for me to then visit Poole speedway (twice) whilst away on holiday that year, a couple of meetings when I returned home and return to speedway properly the following season at my local track and of course, my first attendance at Cardiff.

Yes, I had already been a speedway fan but I had had a complete break away from the sport, I hadn't been watching it on the television or keeping up with any news etc for the previous 9 nears before I happened upon that coverage (although it was hard to miss our triple in 98 as it was plastered all over our local papers).  

I haven't been to Cardiff since 2015, life, uni pick ups and holidays have got in the way but I am trying everything I can to get there next year as part of my special birthday celebrations. It takes a little more organisation now because I have the wheelchair but I can be a stubborn mare when I want to be and I am absolutely determined I will make it there for 2020.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2019 at 1:09 AM, chunky said:

Nobody is talking about GP's vs World Finals. Nobody has mentioned the crowning of the World Champion. Everyone has been talking about how poor the racing was today, and how we need to dump Cardiff because of that. Take out Penhall, and all those years of racing at Wembley wasn't any better. Nobody complained about it though...

You asked if Wembley was an occasion, I gave reasons why it was a better occasion than Cardiff .....

7 hours ago, SR1953 said:

I'm one of those who think the racing is more important than the "occasion", because once all the pre-meeting stuff is over the rest is ALL about the racing. But I can see that others disagree and understand that.

What I don't quite follow is how the GP being at Cardiff is so good for speedway in the UK. It's not exactly thriving is it? The vast majority of those interested in going to the GP, or even watching on tv, are already speedway fans. It doesn't bring in new fans - or if it does, the evidence is hard to spot.

It doesn't seem to do anything for British Speedway at all. One would just hope that a few of the youngsters who go with parents enjoy it enough to carry on going, that's where the  great racing comes in .....

One other thing the Speedway Great Britain merchandise, is anyone really gonna buy a t-shirt with 'Daily Star' on the front?

We weren't too bad on the home straight , there was this mad Russian woman behind us screaming EMEEEEEEEEEL , every time he was in a heat . That at least stopped me trying to stifle the yawns . Compared to the Pairs the night before , this was seriously dull . Cardiff is a great city and the atmosphere on the day is amazing . But the quality of the racing on Saturday night was as dull as dish water.  

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Some people won't be happy unless it's held in their own backyard. There were a lot of people that travelled a lot further than the North of the country to this event. Even holding it at BV is no guarantee of great racing, remember the world cup event of a few years ago

There is never a guarantee on racing but it’s much, much more likely to be good at Belle Vue than Cardiff. The World Cup final two years ago was good, it was the race off the night before which wasn’t as the track was far too grippy. 

As Rob B says it would be to compliment Cardiff and not replace it, but I’d like to think they learn something from each Cardiff meeting and try to make racing better the next time. 

13 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

There is never a guarantee on racing but it’s much, much more likely to be good at Belle Vue than Cardiff. The World Cup final two years ago was good, it was the race off the night before which wasn’t as the track was far too grippy. 

As Rob B says it would be to compliment Cardiff and not replace it, but I’d like to think they learn something from each Cardiff meeting and try to make racing better the next time. 

They don't though , there has been some decent GP's at Cardiff in the past , this however wasnt one of them 

The racing wasn't great on Saturday.  It has been a few years since I've been to a Cardiff GP (2008 I think) but it seemed to me that it was done more on a budget than previously, but perhaps I've been spoiled by the slickness of Poland in recent years.  The date for next year looks an absolute nightmare, right at the start of the School Holidays.

2 minutes ago, Col said:

The racing wasn't great on Saturday.  It has been a few years since I've been to a Cardiff GP (2008 I think) but it seemed to me that it was done more on a budget than previously, but perhaps I've been spoiled by the slickness of Poland in recent years.  The date for next year looks an absolute nightmare, right at the start of the School Holidays.

Excellent. What could be better then Mums and Dads taking kids to the GP, or even kids mythering mums and dads to take them. Isn’t that what speedway needs, more youngsters. Well the opportunity is on a plate. The speedway nation should be embracing it, not whinging about it. I’m convinced a lot of this forums members are happy to be moaners.

• Like 4

On one hand that's good in that it could attract more youngsters one the other hand the route to Cardiff is also the route to allot of UK holiday destinations. The M5 also goes to Cornwall & Devon.  Also the hotels will be more expensive!  Not so good for speedway fans who don't have children of school age.

IN all honesty I think the tracks are now "too good" in the sense that they are smooth, no ruts, and World class riders can do four laps without making mistakes. The inherent problem now is how to create an outside racing line. The track dimensions cannot change (no room) and I'm no expert but if they could introduce more banking that might help. However, I do know that it is something that is being discussed.

37 minutes ago, Col said:

DON'T forget that BSI have to abide by availability of the stadium. This year it was late because of the Rugby World Cup... in 2020 when the rugby season returns to normal things changed again.

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IN all honesty I think the tracks are now "too good" in the sense that they are smooth, no ruts, and World class riders can do four laps without making mistakes. The inherent problem now is how to create an outside racing line. The track dimensions cannot change (no room) and I'm no expert but if they could introduce more banking that might help. However, I do know that it is something that is being discussed.

You make a perfect point.  The tracks are too good which is safer for the riders but the racing is not exciting.  Any rider who went wide at Cardiff lost ground.  

From the TV the outside lines were in deep dirt and they lacked drive.

Edited by Mark

15 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm the sandwich guy, cheese and onion from Aldi... When the last time a cheese and onion sandwich or a bottle of water killed anybody though I don't know... Can you make a bomb out of a cheese and onion sandwich and a bottle of water?

Sandwich unlikely, but you can do a lot of damage with a  bottle of "clear liquid"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Fireputterouter Sam it is then...

Essential nowadays to get it completely right and face up to the fact that Fireputterouter has quite a ring to it, if the pronunciation stresses are in the correct place. Next step will be to call them all Fire Officers in the rush for "democracy' in the ranks.  Women's speedway to follow on from the new "craze" of women's football? Have to give away a lot of tickets at Cardiff for that!