British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

So tonight with the lack of any Speedway on the box I decided to watch the recording of the worst Speedway meeting in the history of the world... evs (Saturday's GP).

And I was shocked, I was shocked to discover that actually in probably 75% of the races there was actually passing and/or close racing. I was not only shocked because I'd read on this thread that it had been particularly poor this year but also I attended the meeting myself and didn't really think it was anything special. Admittedly the race was never really for the lead and often between 2nd, 3rd or 4th but racing and passing there certainly was.

I wonder why so many people (me included) are saying this was such a poor event (racing wise) this year, where clearly if you were to watch it again and actually take note of a close race or pass you'd see this wasn't really the case. What defines a good/close race? Maybe expectation was too high for Woffy to perform? All the Poles certainly seemed to be having a whale of a time.

If you went to a League meeting and 75% of the races produced close racing and/or passing I think you'd be well satisfied... even for £18, with no atmosphere, standing on a grass bank watching mainly tractor racing interspersed with journeymen and amateur Speedway riders.

And before coming back at me telling me I'm wrong I suggest you take the time to re-watch the event

Edited by iainb
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, iainb said:

So tonight with the lack of any Speedway on the box I decided to watch the recording of the worst Speedway meeting in the history of the world... evs (Saturday's GP).

And I was shocked, I was shocked to discover that actually in probably 75% of the races there was actually passing and/or close racing. I was not only shocked because I'd read on this thread that it had been particularly poor this year but also I attended the meeting myself and didn't really think it was anything special. Admittedly the race was never really for the lead and often between 2nd, 3rd or 4th but racing and passing there certainly was.

I wonder why so many people (me included) are saying this was such a poor event (racing wise) this year, where clearly if you were to watch it again and actually take note of a close race or pass you'd see this wasn't really the case. What defines a good/close race? Maybe expectation was too high for Woffy to perform? All the Poles certainly seemed to be having a whale of a time.

If you went to a League meeting and 75% of the races produced close racing and/or passing I think you'd be well satisfied... even for £18, with no atmosphere, standing on a grass bank watching mainly tractor racing interspersed with journeymen and amateur Speedway riders.

And before coming back at me telling me I'm wrong I suggest you take the time to re-watch the event

Exactly that. I've just watched it again and there were good passes. Wright, Emil and Madsen, spring to mind and few races if any were strung out so close racing if not passing. This is a top class field of riders of equal ability so none are going to be easy to pass whatever the track condition which I thought was pretty decent. 

A good increase in the crowd size this year too which suggests it ain't going away any time soon. I have no complaints and will be back next year for sure.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Exactly that. I've just watched it again and there were good passes. Wright, Emil and Madsen, spring to mind and few races if any were strung out so close racing if not passing. This is a top class field of riders of equal ability so none are going to be easy to pass whatever the track condition which I thought was pretty decent. 

A good increase in the crowd size this year too which suggests it ain't going away any time soon. I have no complaints and will be back next year for sure.  

I tend to stay out of these discussions because of all the negativity and stupid stuff spouted by self-appointed "experts", but reading the views of iainb, Steve Hone, and your good self, I thought I would join in...

Was this a "great" meeting?  Of course not.  However, it really wasn't that bad either - or at least I didn't think so!  Same as Vojens.  Not a classic, but enjoyable all the same.

Most of the racing we see today is no worse than it was back in the "good old days".  Like most people, I really miss Wembley, but to say the it was even SLIGHTLY superior (racing-wise) to Cardiff would be a stretch...

Steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chunky said:

I tend to stay out of these discussions because of all the negativity and stupid stuff spouted by self-appointed "experts", but reading the views of iainb, Steve Hone, and your good self, I thought I would join in...

Was this a "great" meeting?  Of course not.  However, it really wasn't that bad either - or at least I didn't think so!  Same as Vojens.  Not a classic, but enjoyable all the same.

Most of the racing we see today is no worse than it was back in the "good old days".  Like most people, I really miss Wembley, but to say the it was even SLIGHTLY superior (racing-wise) to Cardiff would be a stretch...

Steve

I am not a fan of Cardiff Steve but generally it has to be a big plus for our sport and it is here for the long haul.And you are right was the racing that great at Wembley No!!!!  but the experience was breathtaking.What it does show me though there has to be a place for Belle Vue somewhere along the line it is to good a track not to be regularly used.Maybe not for a GP but other regular top class meeting's should be run there,one thing that i do is compare Cardiff to Torun money wise and value wise.I went to Torun last year and am going again next week and money wise it is a darn side cheaper than Cardiff and the experience and atmosphere although different is superb.Just think if you add everything up if you go from the Thursday to the Sunday  Cardiff is an expensive business but you have to say if people enjoy it then the money side of it does not matter.

Edited by Sidney the robin

30 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I am not a fan of Cardiff Steve but generally it has to be a big plus for our sport and it is here for the long haul.And you are right was the racing that great at Wembley No!!!!  but the experience was breathtaking.What it does show me though there has to be a place for Belle Vue somewhere along the line it is to good a track not to be regularly used.Maybe not for a GP but other regular top class meeting's should be run there,one thing that i do is compare Cardiff to Torun money wise and value wise.I went to Torun last year and am going again next week and money wise it is a darn side cheaper than Cardiff and the experience and atmosphere although different is superb.Just think if you add everything up if you go from the Thursday to the Sunday  Cardiff is an expensive business but you have to say if people enjoy it then the money side of it does not matter.

It wouldn't matter where you go, a long weekend would be expensive unless it's in your home town! It is strange that travel across Europe can be cheaper than staying in Britain, but that's the way it is.

I just don't understand why the NSS was designed with that small a capacity. I get the finances, and that that any stadium similar to those in Poland - let alone something like Cardiff - would have been cost-prohibitive, but come on, a "National" stadium that can't handle anywhere near the crowds that a number of League One football teams draw? That's hardly something to boast about...

This thread illustrates the problem speedway has always had when it comes to showpiece events; do we want a good racing track in a small, crappy run-down stadium that you wouldn't want to take your parents to, or a questionable track in a beautiful stadium that can provide a superb atmosphere for a crowd of 50,000?

Again, despite what a lot of people want to believe, we all went to Wembley for the occasion, not the racing...

• Like 1

Speedway has always been held in great stadiums with poor tracks. Amsterdam, Munich & Wembley for starters. I have nothing against Cardiff, i just don't like the GP's. They are like Marmite, you either love them or you hate them!.

• Like 2

For me, a great racing track, on which the riders can showcase their ability to truly race each other ( and not just chase each other from the gate ) is a MUST. So long as the stadium can accommodate a substantial sized crowd the location is unimportant ( other than for good travel links to get there ). It does not have to be a weekend long trip, if your focus is on that GP round. Better to organise another match the night before or the night after.  

Reading through this thread I feel I went to a different GP to most on here. I thought the GP was OK. Not a classic by any means but certainly I found it entertaining and never once did I think the meeting was a complete duffer. There have been far worse GPS this year. No, it wasn’t as good as some previous Cardiff GPs but certainly there was plenty of passing.

I also thought the crowd was larger this year, which is a good sign. Definitely swollen by the amount of Poles now making the trip. 5 years ago there were just a few up high on the third bend. Now there are thousands all around the stadium. Certainly adds to the already excellent atmosphere. I always buy tickets on the day but this year all the cheap tickets had sold out with cheapest on the day £50. Had to use a tout to get a cheap ticket.

The city was absolutely heaving before the meeting and great fun.

As for a second GP at Belle Vue, there is no chance whatsoever. Until Cardiff sells out anyway, which is not likely to happen. Why on earth would BSI run another British GP which would reduce the attendance of Cardiff? Never going to happen. NSS not big enough anyways and even if they did it with temp stands, who is to say they might get the track completely wrong just like they did in the SON semi final Friday meeting a couple of years ago?

I for one thoroughly enjoyed Cardiff this year. Sure we have seen better meetings there but I came away knowing I will be back in 2020.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Reading through this thread I feel I went to a different GP to most on here. I thought the GP was OK. Not a classic by any means but certainly I found it entertaining and never once did I think the meeting was a complete duffer. There have been far worse GPS this year. No, it wasn’t as good as some previous Cardiff GPs but certainly there was plenty of passing.

I also thought the crowd was larger this year, which is a good sign. Definitely swollen by the amount of Poles now making the trip. 5 years ago there were just a few up high on the third bend. Now there are thousands all around the stadium. Certainly adds to the already excellent atmosphere. I always buy tickets on the day but this year all the cheap tickets had sold out with cheapest on the day £50. Had to use a tout to get a cheap ticket.

As for a second GP at Belle Vue, there is no chance whatsoever. Until Cardiff sells out anyway, which is not likely to happen. Why on earth would BSI run another British GP which would reduce the attendance of Cardiff? Never going to happen. NSS not big enough anyways and even if they did it with temp stands, who is to say they might get the track completely wrong just like they did in the SON semi final Friday meeting a couple of years ago?

I for one thoroughly enjoyed Cardiff this year. Sure we have seen better meetings there but I came away knowing I will be back in 2020.

One bad meeting in amongst god knows how many good ones' at Belle Vue that is not a stat you can mention what about the memorable one when England nearly shocked the world.?? What Chunky says is spot on it is baffling why the capacity is what it is such a waste a great racing track wasted.Also in the GP series you are wrong there are some beautiful places to visit ( ie) Prague, Germany, Sweden but some of those tracks racing wise  are bang average.

Edited by Sidney the robin

25 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

One bad meeting in amongst god knows how many good ones' at Belle Vue that is not a stat you can mention what about the memorable one when England nearly shocked the world.?? What Chunky says is spot on it is baffling why the capacity is what it is such a waste a great racing track wasted.Also in the GP series you are wrong there are some beautiful places to visit ( ie) Prague, Germany, Sweden but some of those tracks racing wise  are bang average.

THE capacity at the NSS is what it is because they had to drastically scale back on the original plans. Hopefully, the Speedway World Cup might be back in Manchester next year.

• Like 2

Not read  all the thread but one big  factor is the roof at Cardiff ,temp tracks may not be perfect , the NSS just will not hold enough ( I would love it there just 40 mins away) so I think that there is little or no chance of moving the British  GP .I was not thrilled with last weeks offering but maybe that's because this year we have recently  had a number  of exceptional   GP's and a new wave of riders coming through as well ,still hope Greg gets W/card though ! .

I dont think moving it full stop is a good idea, but as a one off, European GP. Looking at the stadiums, tracks in other counties, Manchester is far superior to them. Makes sense to me to have one there. 

5 minutes ago, therefused said:

I dont think moving it full stop is a good idea, but as a one off, European GP. Looking at the stadiums, tracks in other counties, Manchester is far superior to them. Makes sense to me to have one there. 

The numbers just won't add up due to the limited capacity which there is nothing that can be done about from a practicial point of view ,typical we have " gem " of a track limited space  all around it !

32 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE capacity at the NSS is what it is because they had to drastically scale back on the original plans. Hopefully, the Speedway World Cup might be back in Manchester next year.

Do you mean  " speedway of nations" ? :)

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Or of course the potential for the weather to affect it!