British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

I don't deflect from that opinion iainb. However I return to the salient point and query "...how many of the accepted 20,000 REGULAR British speedway supporters actually went to Cardiff..."? 

We'll probably never know

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I`m sure there is a story to be told about when the Grand Prix series started - British speedway were promoting the rounds  at Hackney 95/96 - Bradford 97 Coventry 98,99,2000. Terry Russell "found" Cardiff for 2001  yet  i think JP took over the "promoting" from then.

THAT was before the FIM decided that like Moto GP, etc they would sell the commercial rights to the speedway World Championship. And along came John Postlethwaite ...

18 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THAT was before the FIM decided that like Moto GP, etc they would sell the commercial rights to the speedway World Championship. And along came John Postlethwaite ...

JP took over the GP’s in January 2000. The British authorities could have promoted Cardiff in 2001 but decided not to- probably they decided that the cost and risk of losing a fortune on it wasn’t for them !

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

JP took over the GP’s in January 2000. The British authorities could have promoted Cardiff in 2001 but decided not to- probably they decided that the cost and risk of losing a fortune on it wasn’t for them !

IT is true that the BSPA declined to be involved because of the cost of mounting such an untried indoor event in a stadium the size of the then Millennium. BSI was then part of the Benfield Greig group of re-insurers and were prepared to back JP. The rest is history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Also Cardiff is a great advert for speedway and long may it continue  but does all of British speedway gain financially out of the event??.Was British speedway properly compensated at the time when the WC swapped to the GP series system.!!!!

Something that John Berry used to bang on about!

51 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT is true that the BSPA declined to be involved because of the cost of mounting such an untried indoor event in a stadium the size of the then Millennium. BSI was then part of the Benfield Greig group of re-insurers and were prepared to back JP. The rest is history.

Lack of vision through and through

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Something that John Berry used to bang on about!

John could of  made it a different era  for British speedway Steve , put thing's into motion  to have a different vision pay John Berry a salary to be impartial make  huge decisions.I would of put my life on it that he would of ruffled a few feathers stood on a few toes but would of made progress and left a reliable successor in place for when he departed.This Country missed a trick and he would of left it in better shape than when he took over a real shame it did not happen.

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

John could of  made it a different era  for British speedway Steve , put thing's into motion  to have a different vision pay John Berry a salary to be impartial make  huge decisions.I would of put my life on it that he would of ruffled a few feathers stood on a few toes but would of made progress and left a reliable successor in place for when he departed.This Country missed a trick and he would of left it in better shape than when he took over a real shame it did not happen.

I did put the question to Martin Rogers because I feel that John could have made a difference but unfortunately he didn't get the backing he desired and therefore felt that he had no other option but to resign the position...much to the detriment of British speedway in my view.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Nothing changes over the decades Sid. Lessons are never learned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Nothing changes over the decades Sid. Lessons are never learned.

What would you liked changed City if you knew it could happen.? 

Let me just say what a fantastic weekend we've  just had in Cardiff. Its one of the  highlights of our Speedway calendar as indeed is Torun next weekend. 

Cardiff is the ideal host City for the event .  Its impressive Stadium right in the heart of the City ( not on an industrial estate miles from anywhere)  with ample seating for everybody that wishes to attend and a roof guaranteeing that the inclement British weather will never stop the meeting going ahead. A great atmosphere throughout the City for  the whole weekend with plenty of restaurants and pubs to cater for all tastes and pockets. Hotels , yes there far too expensive which we all know but its no different from anywhere else when a major event is being held. Supply and demand, Shop around and search on the internet and look for the best deals to suit your budget  . The racing this year wasn't great but i still thought it was an enjoyable meeting. Next year might be better. 

It may have been a disappointing meeting to a few sat at home watching but to the majority of those present a thoroughly enjoyable Speedway weekend. Tickets and hotels booked for next year , roll on 2020.

Edited by Fullmax
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fullmax said:

Let me just say what a fantastic weekend we've  just had in Cardiff. Its one of the  highlights of our Speedway calendar as indeed is Torun next weekend. 

Cardiff is the ideal host City for the event .  Its impressive Stadium right in the heart of the City ( not on an industrial estate miles from anywhere)  with ample seating for everybody that wishes to attend and a roof guaranteeing that the inclement British weather will never stop the meeting going ahead. A great atmosphere throughout the City for  the whole weekend with plenty of restaurants and pubs to cater for all tastes and pockets. Hotels , yes there far too expensive which we all know but its no different from anywhere else when a major event is being held. Supply and demand, Shop around and search on the internet and look for the best deals to suit your budget  . The racing this year wasn't great but i still thought it was an enjoyable meeting. Next year might be better. 

It may have been a disappointing meeting to a few sat at home watching but to the majority of those present a thoroughly enjoyable Speedway weekend. Tickets and hotels booked for next year , roll on 2020.

I think that’s very much on point. The racing there is seldom good but the atmosphere inside and out of the stadium is always fantastic. It’s now a full day event as witnessed by the crowds that flocked to the Revolution bar to see Tai, Greg, and all the others. 

The hotels have always been horrendously expensive but at least the GP finishes early so you don’t need to stay. 

The only down side for me is the increasing number of vagrants and druggies in the pedestrian areas. But then Cardiff isn’t alone in this

2 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

The only down side for me is the increasing number of vagrants and druggies in the pedestrian areas.

You sure that wasn't the pits??? :rolleyes:

I'll shut up...

2 hours ago, chunky said:

You sure that wasn't the pits??? :rolleyes:

I'll shut up...

Belle Vue 1982. England v USA. England manager Eric Boocock sweeping out flooded pits, stops, points to sign out on centre green and says "Hope those bloody yanks have read that".

Sign reads:

"Keep Off The Grass"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fullmax said:

All totally irrelevant if what people go to speedway for - the racing - is utter garbage.

• Haha 1